Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody? (Read 59318 times)
tommyauger

Re: Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody?
Reply #60 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
another photo  I think the photots will be in Feb/mar Guns of the Old West.  Tommy

tommyauger

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #61 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
doubs43

the peabodys all come with a tang to attach the tang sight too.

sportslube

IP Logged

doubs43
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 11:18am
Print Post  
sportslube wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 7:03pm:
doubs43

the peabodys all come with a tang to attach the tang sight too.

sportslube

Thank you Sportslube. Looks like I need to start saving my pennies! They really are an elegant rifle.... and I want one!  Smiley

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #63 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
doubs43

send me an email and I will send a picture look down at the tang so that you have a top look if you would like one.  if you dont need top look thats ok to 

bill sportslube@aol.com

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #64 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
very nicely done Tim.  Need to send you another stick or two for you to do after i get my Peregrine sporting rifle back
sportslube

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #65 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 12:23am
Print Post  
All I can say is that I'm quite impressed with Frank's peabody's. Now if those in power want to take pity on me, I'd have one for myself. Great work. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
All inquieries are made by phone only.Dont have time to sit by a computer!You can call from 9am till 8pm c/t 920-893-9675.The catalogs will be ready      after feb 30th.                                                                                                   Frank                                               Smiley Smiley

Feb 30th???? Grin Shocked

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I talked to Tim at Classic Checkering,I guess he talked to Mike Venturino, he is going to write an article in the Rifle mag,sometimes this year.Also Tim got the approval from the NRA on the modified stock to be used at Raton NM.His MVA sights should  be in this week.Iwill have the gun at the Kansas City NCOWS convention next week.Also this weekend at the Eau Claire show.Lots of interesting phone calls from the article in Guns of the Old west mag.  Thats it for now.  Frank   Smiley Wink

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #68 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 8:08am
Print Post  
NRA approval letter

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 26 KB | Downloads )

tommyauger

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
The new catalog has been a great success.Achieved more customers,friends,European and Australian sales.Phone inqueries are much more successful,and gain more friends.Call in,and I will send you one.Oh, by the way,wait till you see Tim Lyons's Raton Model Peabody that He will qualify and use this summer in NM.Built to NRA qualifications.Cost,very high 4 g's.Tommy Augers, DAS SCHUETZEN Peabody will be shown May 15th at the Eau Claire spring open.1 st of its kind. Thats it for now.   920=893=9675      Frank   Smiley Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:59pm by »  

IP Logged

alemonkey

Reply #70 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
I'm jealous.  That's a beautiful rifle.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #71 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I agree, beautiful rifle Tim.

How high a front sight do you need to get on target at 100yd with the tang sight sitting as high as it is at it's lowest setting?
The reason I ask is because I have a new Ruger #1 with a tang sight that sits fairly high.
The Sharps, Remingtons, and Stevens rifles have more drop to their tangs so front sight height usually isn't a problem.
I'm thinking I will need one about 3/4" from the top of the barrel to the center of the sight to be on at 100yd with the rear sight at the bottom. 
I think Brownell's used to sell a plastic front sight that could be trimmed to find the right height, but I don't see them on their web site anymore.
Steve  Smiley

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #72 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Steve, are you on paper at all?  How about if you stack a couple of targets vertically, and aim at the lower one?  If so, you can compute exactly what you'll need to change the front sight to be at the right elevation.  Move the rear sight up about 1/8" from dead bottom and shoot a group (five shots) holding on the bottom target.  Measure from the center of the bottom target to the group center vertically.  Measure your sight radius (distance from the rear sight to the front).  Multiply the amount of correction needed by the sight radius, and then divide by the distance to the target...all measurements in inches.  Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you are 24" off from your desired point of impact, and you have 34" of sight radius.  24x34=816, divide that by 3600 (inches in 100 yards if that's where you're shooting) for a correction of .227" that you would add to your existing front sight to get your group centered on the bottom target.  This formula also works for windage adjustments.  The reason you need to be off of dead bottom when doing this exercise is so that you can fine tune down if needed...it's really rare when front sights or sight bases will be at exactly the height needed!   

HTH,
David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:53am
Print Post  
"Interesting related point;  my friend Clarence Dykstra, claims that his  POI is 2-1/2 MOA higher at Raton NM. than it is in southern Mississippi because of the higher elevation, thinner air, etc."

To help understand:

The density of air, ρ (Greek: rho) (air density), is the mass per unit volume of Earth's atmosphere, and is a useful value in aeronautics and other sciences. Air density decreases with increasing altitude, as does air pressure. It also changes with variances in temperature or humidity. At sea level and 20 °C, air has a density of approximately 1.2 kg/m3.

The density of dry air can be calculated using the ideal gas law, expressed as a function of temperature and pressure:

\rho = \frac{p}{R \cdot T} \,

where ρ is the air density, p is absolute pressure, R is the specific gas constant for dry air, and T is absolute temperature.

The specific gas constant for dry air is 287.05 J/(kg·K) in SI units, and 53.35 (ft·lbf)/(lbm·R) in United States customary and Imperial units.

Therefore:

* At IUPAC standard temperature and pressure (0 °C and 100 kPa), dry air has a density of 1.2754 kg/m3.
    * At 20 °C and 101.325 kPa, dry air has a density of 1.2041 kg/m3.
    * At 70 °F and 14.696 psia, dry air has a density of 0.074887 lbm/ft3.
The addition of water vapor to air (making the air humid) reduces the density of the air, which may at first appear contrary to logic.

This occurs because the molecular mass of water (18) is less than the molecular mass of air (around 29). For any gas, at a given temperature and pressure, the number of molecules present is constant for a particular volume (see Avogadro's Law). So when water molecules (vapor) are introduced to the air, the number of air molecules must reduce by the same number in a given volume, without the pressure or temperature increasing. Hence the mass per unit volume of the gas (its density) decreases.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Glad to be of assistance, Tim.  I learned that formula many years ago, and wrote it on the inside of my safety glasses so I wouldn't forget it!   Grin  Makes it sort of hard to see to set up the mill, though...  Smiley

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint