Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Highwalls (Read 19823 times)
xxgrampa
Ex Member

Re: Highwalls
Reply #30 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 1:53am
Print Post  
hey scvrewloose,

you got the rite idea, you can never have too many guns even if they are martinies. just don't tell anyone..

KODIAK, i am excited for you. it must be difficult waiting to shoot that new gun.. p;ease keep us posted..

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Over the decades I have owned and shot a lot of the classical single shot rifles.  Overall I long ago concluded that the highwall is, on balance, ahead of anything else, including the sainted Farquharson.  Most of its virtues have already been mentioned, I would add parts interchangeability.  There is the famous story how in the very early 1900s three Cadillacs were disassembled into a huge pile of parts in England, then put together at random into three autos.  To the amazement of the Brits they all started up and ran without having to hand fit anything.  It is the same with highwalls. Even most barrels and blocks will interchange without headspace problems.  The prime disadvantage, in my opinion, is the lack of a through stock bolt like a Ballard or Borchardt.  Of course this can be remedied readily, without altering the tangs of the action, by fitting a T shaped lug over the tang bolt.   If you are careful you can drill existing stocks for the through bolt, though most of us would hesitate to do this to an unaltered original factory rifle.  Forty years ago I had it done almost automatically to every high wall I acquired, not any more.  An ejector would also be useful on hunting rifles.  I have two, a Griffin & Howe .250 Savage and a Tom Burgess (Monte Kennedy wood) 6.5'06 that auto eject.  Have never tried to take them apart to see how they work.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I sought out a High Wall that was originally 22RF, in order to get one that was machined for the original RF kicking ejector spring................

But the standard wall lever HURTS when shooting a recoiler. Otherwise I think they're great.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Today was the monthly shoot at the Richmond Gun and Rod Club. 2 of the shooters there have high walls, one of them is Stevens and I forgot what the other one was. After now seeing what a high wall looks like in person, I now understand what everyone has been saying about them. Thanks to my fellow shooters for taking the time and showing their high walls to me. And for explaining the difference between a high wall and a low wall. Reading it here and seeing it, are two different things. I do appreciate all the info about the high walls from everyone; it’s been very helpful for me. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint