Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ithaca Shotgun (Read 15184 times)
Sharps1874
Ex Member

Ithaca Shotgun
Jul 9th, 2006 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I don’t think this really fits this site, yet it’s a breach loader, and close to a single shot. 

I’m not sure if this is actually the right place to ask my next question. I have an Ithaca side-by-side 12-gauge shotgun. It’s a pre-1930’s shotgun, it may even be pre-1920’s. It was my grandfathers, then my dads and now it’s mine. I’ve driven myself crazy trying to research on the internet the model or anything that I can find about the shotgun. The shotgun only has the serial number on it. It has etched in the metal “Ithaca Gun Company, Ithaca NY”. The barrel has etched in it “smokeless Powder Steel”. There is a “hunting dog” etched in the metal above where it says “Ithaca Gun Company, Ithaca NY”. Does anyone have any suggestions on a link or site that may be of some help. Or someone that has existences knowledge on Ithaca. It still shoots very well. One barrel is full choke and the other is semi-choke. It has 2 triggers one for each barrel. I could not find a site that catered to Ithaca owners. I appreciate any help.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Ithaca Shotgun
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Check the serial number against those in the appendix of any Dixie Gun Works catalog.  This will tell you the major part of this, whether it is the pre-1920 Old Model or the less desirable post-1920 New Model.  I'm a little rusty on my Ithacas, but I think that much is right.  The etched dog scene strikes me as being indicative of the later model, but don't bet the ranch on it.  BTW, that "full choke" barrel was for old pre-plastic wad shells and will probably perform as a "wow that's FULL" choke...the one on my Ithaca Lefever (the Nitro Special Model) sure was.

Dumb question:  Did you do a Google search for "Ithaca shotgun" or something similar?  I'm truly surprised nothing helpful showed up.

HTH, Froggie

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Better yet try this URL, it was the second on Google under "Ithaca Double Shotgun"

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Froggie

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
froggie,

I did the same search that you did. Nothing on my search came up that was helpful. My serial number fell in the 1912 range of numbers. My Dad thought it was a pre-1920's shotgun. My Grandfather came to the US in 1906. And we are not sure how he came upon the shotgun. It's a part of our family. Something that I hope will be passed on for many more generations. It's still in good condiction. I'm hoping that one day I can find out much more about it, thanks once again for all of your help.

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
froggie,

Second thought, as I look at that site again. Since the shotgun was made by Ithaca, I would bet instead of 1912, it's serial number also falls in the 1925 range. This might be the first of that batch of shotguns that they came out with after the new owners of that time took over.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
IIRC, the New Model serial numbers are all supposed to be higher than the Old Model numbers...if yours has a number that goes to 1912, that is a pretty strong indication that the gun was made in or around that year.  Both new and old models were made by Ithaca, but the new ones were more mass produced whereas the older ones were more handfit.  BTW, is it a box lock or sidelock gun?  The later ones were all box lock, but I don't know about the earlier ones.

Maybe the old Colt Scratcher will chime in and tell us who among his double gun clientele can help us.  How about it Ken, do you know anyone who can help us out here?

Froggie

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I've owned several Ithaca double barrel shotguns. Ithaca made several models of actions over the years, the best and most desirable action is called the "Knickerbocker" which can be identified by the round bolt that locks into a rectangular hole in the barrel extension. The round bolt was like the bolt on an L.C. Smith, and takes up wear to keep the barrels tight. These were made in Models from #1 to I believe #8. Grade #4 and above are the good ones. As I recall the grades over #5 have gold inlays. The knickerbocker action was used for both the doubles and single barrel trap guns. As I remember they started about serial number 125,000.

Bob

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Just to add a little knowledge to the Ithaca pool. After WWII, Ithaca assembled/built only about six double barrelled shotguns. I had an opportunity to buy one of them - it was a Grade IV Twenty gauge with grade VI wood. It was a gorgeous piece. It was during the Grand American Trapshoot in the early fifties. I was an economically struggling young man there with my father. The shotgun fit me perfectly. It was detailed VERY nicely (checkering, etc). I seriously considered driving the 100 mile round trip to my home and drawing most of my savings out of the bank. I finally decided not to buy it. It is one of the two "Most Desirable" pieces that I have ever passed up. Here it is fifty years later and I STILL remember it....

I still have my Uncle's, then my Dad's, Grade IV Ithaca Single barrel trap gun (actually, it is in the hands of my son, now).

Dale53

IP Logged

Brozbows

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Hey All!

Sharps1874,

What does the pistol grip look like?

I have two old Flues doubles... dated (by serial #s)  1921 and the other 1911. The older one has a different pistol grip compaired to the later Flues. The later Flues has a grip cap on the pistol grip while the 1911 has a round bottem grip, no cap. Both are boxlocks.

I gotta run to work right now but will have a closer look at them when I get home.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, maybe I can hlep.

Regards,

Darryl

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Hi Dale53,

I have Cabelas looking at the pictures that I sent them, the same ones as below. And I sent them my serial from the shotgun. Perhaps one day you will find one of these shotguns for yourself. 

Just to add 
Hi Darryl,

Hope that the pictures can show you what you need to see to determine what I have. It’s either a 1912 or a 1925 Ithaca Shotgun. Thanks for your help.son, now). 

If the pictures don't come through, I'll email them to you. Having a problem getting the pictures on this post.

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Green Frog was right !   Go to gunshop.com and ask for help.  You;ll find that Waly Snyder resides there and he (really) wrote the book on Ithaca guns.  There are also others there that can and will be happy to help you.   ken

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Hi Ken,

I tried gunshop.com...it just did not work for me. I could not get the site. I did get the seach page for it, yet every link failed. Thanks. Cabelas came up with what I thought it was, a Flues 1912 Ithaca Shotgun, thanks for all of your help.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I might mention that the price for the Ithaca Grade IV with Grade VI wood at the Grand American was an astronomical $350.00!! To put that in the proper prospective, it would be about $3500 today, so you can see a young man's reluctance to spend that kind of money at that time.

Dale53

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Sharps 1874 ----- Be very careful what you feed that Fluzzie. These guns sere made for low pressure shells. Don't use walley world shells in this gun as ones tested show wide spread of pressure peaks !  A good gun shop could advise you as to what brand has pressures in the 6000-7000 PSI range.  THESE ACTIONS HAVE BEEN KNOW TO CRACK FROM USING HIGH PRESSURE LOADS.    Ken

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Sharps 1874,
You've got a nice little piece of firearms history there, and a connection to the single shot world that most don't realise. Emil Flues, the designer of the Ithaca Flues, was one of the premier custom Schuetzen rifle makers in the late 1800's to early 1900's, prior to going to work for Ithaca.
Flues was secretary of a Schuetzen club in Bay City, Mi. and built many of the rifles used by members who shot in that region. 
Like most of the custom target rifle builders, Flues reworked the popular rifles of the time, such as Ballards and Hi Walls. Unlike many custom builders, Flues did every aspect of the custom rifles he built. He barreled, stocked, and even engraved the guns he made. He was a true craftsman, and all his guns looked as good as they shot.
While working at Ithaca Flues remained in private business building custom built side by side shotguns of the highest quality. He had a constant waiting list of customers for his shotguns, right up to the day he died around 1949 at age 90.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint