Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hepburn Questions! (Read 6054 times)
moodyholler
Oldtimer

Hepburn Questions!
Jul 22nd, 2006 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
I need help on my new Hepburn. You have to set the triggers before you can cock it. According to Grant and DeHaas, this is not right.  Serial number on it is 796x. Is there anyway to determine what year it was made? I am enclosing a couple of pics of it. Thanks, moodyholler (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Re: Hepburn Questions!
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Mr. Holler:

It is hard to troubleshoot a rifle without having it in hand, but my guess is that you are having issues with the hammer fly. Take the hammer out and make sure the fly is moving freely, and that it does not extend further back than the full cock notch when the fly is pivoted all the way back.

Glenn

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 1:59am
Print Post  
moodyholler, How come I never see anyone using the pool?  That old rifle is probly wore out. Do hepburns have flies?  You need to get that pool going. Take the old rifle apart and figure out whats wrong with it. If I had a pool at my house I'd be in it .  Dont bugger the screws up hepburns are ugly enough with good screws.   Kindly regards Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 9:31am
Print Post  
OK, Gents, if I pull backa little on the rear trigger everything works as it should. Too strong a spring? It seems to be overiding the sear. Thanks a bunch for the info, moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 9:43am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jul 23rd, 2006 at 1:59am:
moodyholler, hepburns are ugly enough with good screws.

Joe, you must know my friend Coydog, he says the same thing!

The problem may also lie with the adjustment of the sear against the triggers. When the sear rests against the triggers, sometimes it can't reach fully into the notch and so it doesn't hold. Adjusting this can sometimes be tricky, IMO & IME it's the single biggest stumbling block I've encountered in many years of messing with set triggers.

The esteemed Mr hst is correct, however, the action of the fly is always problematical and should always be checked and squared away properly. This is the second biggest stumbling block IMO.
HTH, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

COLONEL
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 10:30am
Print Post  
HEPBURNS IS UGLY AND LOOK UNDER THE DECK,THERE HE IS,A SNAKE .I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A UGLY HEP IN 219 ZIPPER.    PS THERE IS A REASON FOR THE COMMODE HANDLE Grin Grin Grin Grin

REGARDS,BEN

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Well fellows, I LIKE hepburns and Hopkins and Allen fallingblocks. They ain't like highwalls where everyone has at least two in the closet. LOL! Dare to be different. Thanks for the info, moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Moodyholler, I love Hepburns even though they are ugly. I have several. None of them are double set trigger models, so cant help you with the trigger problem. Since Hepburns have a rebounding hammer and no half cock, I question whether it has a fly. If memory serves me, I think there is a sear that rotates on a pin or screw in the trigger assembly. If some one monkey'd with it, which is a given, they may not have reassembled it correctly. Take it apart have a look. Be brave!  Its not that complicated. Have tried several hepburn double set triggers in the past, I didnt like any of them. Couldnt get the pull light enough for offhand shooting.    Im still thinking about that pool, man its hot!!       Regards    Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Nobody is ever in the pool, because Moodyholler doesn't want them splashing his guns! Wink
Have you tried the trigger adjustment screw? Back it off half a turn, and see what happens. You might also check to see if this gun even has a fly! Hepburns with DST did have a fly, but if by chance the trigger group is from a different gun, and it still has the std hammer in it, it may not have a fly. Just a guess, in case there's been some changing done.

IP Logged

Hey Joe
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Mine is the opposite of yours.  If I set the trigger and then cock it, it unsets as I bring the hammer back.  I need to cock then set;  shoot.  It also appears as if your triggers are closer together than the ones on mine.  Bring it by on your way home from work and we can open them up and take a look at the mechanisms side by side.
Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
They look closer together than mine also! Maybe they changed them a little over the duration of mfg.?

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
OK, I got brave this evening and ripped it apart. Figuired out the sear spring was not putting enough up pressure on the sear and the rear trigger spring was too long. A couple of adjustments and now my triggers look like yours. It will now cock with triggers set or unset and the safety rebounding hammer is working properly. Thanks for all your help and comments. The fly is there and covers the notches perfectly. The front trigger will now set it off also. The plate numbers match the action so it all matches. It is a simple design and easy to work on. However, they are not as good as the ones on my Stevens 44. Thanks, moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint