Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Highwalls (Read 19822 times)
Sharps1874
Ex Member

Highwalls
Jul 2nd, 2006 at 12:03am
Print Post  
I’ve never shot a high wall. Yet I’m wondering what is the benefit of the high wall or is there one? I own and shoot a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70. And yes, I know they don’t make any high walls. Just curious about the high wall.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Highwalls
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Generally for precision work, again generally, you will find that the Browning designed Winchester 1885 rifles we refer to a Hi-walls have a much quicker locktime as well as less pre-ignition action torque due to having a lighter centerhung hammer than the Sharps rifles you are used to.  The 'wall's centerhung hammer permits a much more direct and reliable firing pin arrangement.  If you are shooting for a group size or a score on a paper target those advantages really weigh in.

After all the original 'wall was at least a generation of tech-development beyond the civil war era percussion rifles the Sharps was derived from.  the '77 Sharps was their way of upgrading the basic Sharps action to produce a more target worthy rifle; and of course the later Sharps-Borchardt was the final evolution in their line.

As I understand it; The Sharps of course was one of the most desired rifles by the soldiers of the Civil War.  While it was not as rapid fire as the Henry it had a much more powerful cartridge.  I suspect that the attraction of the Sharps in the post-civil war buffalo hunting era was stimulated by the fact that so many of the men who were on the frontier in that era were CW veterans. Sharps also targeted their postwar production and marketing to the western market.  By the time the 1885 Winchester came along the Sharps had a decade of head start, the buffalo hunt era was almost over.  Repeating rifles were more popular for most hunting use other than for really big game.  The single shot pretty well evolved into a niche arm most commonly found on the target range where the Sharps was supplanted by more modern actions. 

There are a number of 'walls being currently produced, both here in the USA and abroad.  My belief is that most of them are better-made in terms of metallurgy and QC production methods than the originals.
Ballard Rifles of Cody WY makes a supurlative version with quality and construction that equals or exceeds anyhting you will find with the modern American-made '74 Sharps.  The various versions made under the aegis of Browning while being a reinterpretation in terms of internal lockwork are faithful in exterior appearance and basic function to the originals and many are seen on the lines of the BPCR and similar venus where the '74 Sharps are most commonly found. I have no experience wiht the Italian-made versions so I cannot speak to them.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2006 at 7:57am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
My opinion on this is; 1.  If you shoot a little bitty bullet, then a short lock time may be an advantage.  2.  If you shoot a 45 caliber, in a heavy weight bullet, the torque of the bullet is much more than any hammer torque.  So for BP shooting, it is the operator not the gun that makes the score.
Keep on hav'n fun!

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
MIke I don't disagree with you in principal.  "it's the shooter, not the gun" within logical reason.  however I would suggest that given identical 45-70 loads out of rifles with equal spec barrels the High wall will have an advantage over the sidehammer 74 in offhand shooting and in any type of paper target match where group size or score is measured.  Obviously in a metallic sillhouette match when all that counts is a knockdown and you have a spotter to call your shots the 74's work perfectly well. 
I've used both my 45-70 browning'wall (with a rather stiff trigger) with the 457676 lyman matthews 500 gr bullet and my cousin's Shilo Sharps with a nice DST and the same loads off the bench at 200 yards and the wall will group better and score higher even though it has a shorter and lighter barrel---and kicks me around a fair amount more too boot.  Now trying to knockdown the rams off cross-stix might be a different story.

IP Logged

uteeqtee
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 2:06am
Print Post  
DWS8130 said on this thread: "The various versions {of Hi-walls} made under the aegis of Browning while being a reinterpretation in terms of internal lockwork are faithful in exterior appearance and basic function to the originals and many are seen on the lines of the BPCR and similar venus where the '74 Sharps are most commonly found."

DWS--I'm new to this game. About a year and a half ago, I bought one of the Japanese Winchester-branded 1885 Hi-walls in .45-70.  It was part of a "limited Edition" run made for Davidson's. It has a rifle-style butt (curved buttplate) and a 28" barrel. It's  my understanding that this is the same rifle as the Brownings.   I only shoot lead bullets (360 and 405 grains) in the rifle--smokeless loads using IMR 3031 or 4895, at black powder velocities (38 grains of either powder).   
Would you (or anyone else) happen to know the nominal twist rate of these rifles?
Thanks to all,

Tommy (Uteeqtee)   Smiley

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 8:19am
Print Post  
DWS8130:

Your statement about the side hammer and Civil War veterans is undoubtably true. However, I believe the main reason the Sharps was used more extensivly than the rolling block was that the side hammer was what people were used to. Guns for centuries had the hammer hung on the side. The human animal is mighty resistant to change.

Bill

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 9:34am
Print Post  
sharps1874;
                    I assume your question deals with lead bullet shooting as in Schuetzen, BPCR & etc. then IMO there is no benefit to be had with a High Wall type rifle, but because of the high walls they are not nearly as easy to load and unload, this would include not only the Win & clones but all the other high wall type rifles.  leadball

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Two questions here: are other actions (like, specifically the high wall) theoretically better than the Sharps? and are they actually better in real-life competition results?

Answer, IMO, yes to both questions.

For a mighty convincing argument, just check the equipment lists of the winners for competitions like Schuetzen, Mid-range and Long Range. Lotta walls, Ballards and Borchardts, very few sidehammers. Lots more sidehammer winners in BPCR Silhouette, but IMO Silhouette is a game that's always a lot more fun but also is generally a much less demanding game that's generally played by more traditional-minded (and less-demanding) shooters.
JMOFWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 10:54am
Print Post  
digitall423 wrote on Jul 3rd, 2006 at 8:19am:
DWS8130:

Your statement about the side hammer and Civil War veterans is undoubtably true. However, I believe the main reason the Sharps was used more extensivly than the rolling block was that the side hammer was what people were used to. Guns for centuries had the hammer hung on the side. The human animal is mighty resistant to change.

Bill

Sharps has a MUCH stronger and more positive extractor than the roller, and the early cartridge cases were more subject to sticking. Sharps is easier to field-strip without tools and without losing parts. Two more pretty good reasons IMO.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Let me say right now, thank you to all of you that have responded to this post. It’s given me, and I’m sure to others that are just reading the replies, a better understanding and feel between the high wall and the non high walls. I’d also would like to invite all of you that have just been reading the post to participate with it. don’t be afraid, we don’t bite, and yes we are civil in our opinions and thoughts on this and any topic.   

I’d like to respond out of order of the replies to this posting. 

leadball:

You asked if my question dealt with lead bullet shooting as in Schuetzen, BPCR etc. I was just wondering about high walls as a whole. Yet I’m more interested in rifles more like my single shot rifle. Since I cast my own lead bullets, your assumption would be more correct then not. You mentioned that the high walls are harder to load and unload compare to I would assume the rifles with the external hammers. Am I correct in my understanding from your reply? 

DWS8130:

I do have a few questions that are geared more for the many other members on this forum, that just read the post and will not ask any questions. These questions are meant to help simplify a previous answer that was given. 

You spoke about how the high wall has “a much quicker lock time as well as less pre-ignition action torque due to having a lighter center hung hammer than the Sharps rifles you are used to.” Am I correct that you are stating that the hammer comes down faster and more direct on the primer then a side hammer does? And if sounded like that alone makes for a better group size and score on paper targets. I don’t have the expertise that you have in that area, yet it does not seem practical to me that the speed of the fall of a hammer and the center hung hammer can make that much of a difference. Then again this is why I made the post, you and others know more about this then I do, for now. I time I will be much more educated in this area. 

Yes, I very much agree with you on why the Sharps were so much in demand in its time. Yes, history has shown that something new, no matter how much better it is…is not always quickly accepted. The history of guns has shown us this, especially during times of war. We, that is the government likes to stay with what has been proven to work in the past. They are slow to change. The Sharps had a hard and long battle to get into the Civil War. Enough on the history of the Sharps. That is not what this posting was intended for. Not a battle of the rifles, or rifle companies. Just some education and understanding on high walls. 

You mentioned that there are a number of 'walls being currently produced, both here in the USA and abroad. Are they basically the same design, or are there variations in the design of a high wall? 

You also stated in a reply that a “High wall will have an advantage over the sidehammer 74 in offhand shooting and in any type of paper target match where group size or score is measured.” Would that be the same if they were done on a shooting bench with bench rest front and back to keep it the same and fair? It’s just my opinion and observation that any shooting comparison that is not done from a controlled test, is susceptible to shooter error and not the guns fault. Even shooting from a shooting bench, has some error in it, yes that would be the shooter. 

Tommy

I’m currently using IMR 4198 in mine. I loaded some test loads of IMR 3031 and shot them last week. They did well, yet I need to go back another day a see if they repeat their previous results. They ranged in the upper 1200 fps, compare to the mid to low 1000’s with my light loads of IMR 4198. Just try a few loads out and see for yourself. I used the 36-gr load for my test loads of IMR 3031.

Now just so you all know, even if I wanted a high wall, I’m not selling my Shiloh Sharps, and I’m not wealthy enough to go out buying these rifles. Not all of us out here are that rich. Perhaps some of the guys that I shoot with have high walls, I’ll have to check this out at our next monthly shoot. 

Hope you all are having a great 4th of July.

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2006 at 1:51pm by »  

IP Logged

Drew458
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Uteeqtee

1 turn in 20" is standard. My Browning 1885 is 1:20.

You can always measure your own by using a cleaing rod and a tight patch. Put a bit of masking tape on the muzzle with a pencil line on it. Put 2 feet of masking tape down the length of your cleaning rod. Run a pencil line down the tape. Using a jag or a bore brush with a patch or two over it for a good fit, run the rod down the barrel a bit until the pencil line on the rod and the one on the muzzle tape line up. Take your pencil and mark the rod where it passes into the muzzle. Push the rod by the handle and watch it spin around. When the marks line up again make another mark on the rod's tape. Remove it and measure how far between the two marks.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Browning twist
Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Browning highwall 45 cal clones had 2 different barrels,  the limited production Creedmoor and BPCR editions were fitted with fast twist 1/18 Badger barrels at the Miroku factory.  Miroku made 45 barrels are 1/20.  A very few (couple dozen or less according to my source at Browning) late model B-78 tangless action were fitted with the badger barrels as part of the run-up to the special editions and sold out mixed in with the general production.  They were shortened and tapered to a sporter configuration and the only way to tell them from the run-of-the-mill '78 traditional rifles and traditional hunters is by measuring the barrel twist.
I do not know if Badger provided premium barrels for the 40-65 versions.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
In regards to the action types:
In accuracy shooting it is well established that a crucial time in the firing cycle is the micro seconds between igniton and the bullet exiting the barrel.  A long heavy offcenter hammer will make for more disturbance and vibration as the shooter compensates for the torque.  This will cause the gun to shift during that crucial time. This will be true in any accuracy game, but especially noticible in offhand and bench rest  matches
In the Sharps frame of reference that is why they went from a heavy, essentially Civil war era, musket lock on the 74 to a match grade english-style back action lock when they created the 77 as a world-beater target arm for the fledgling NRA team in the international competitions.  that smaller lighter faster action made them easier to score with.  (someday I want one of Carmen Axtell's 77 rifles--real badly)   

However within a few years of that time we find that the sharps side hammer actions were superceeded in most areas of competetive shooting by faster, lighter, centerhung actions.  Thats not just logic or arguement but a historical fact.  As professional shooters became the equivilent of NBA/NFL/NASCAR stars of their era (say 1880-1915 or so) absolute gilt edge accuracy became critical.  Especially in matches where the purse of several thousands of dollars (and a whole lot more in side bets) was riding on an offhand 200 yard paper target.  there were a few sharps actioned schutzen rifles built in the western part of the country early in that time, but basically their day was past

In its time and place the '74 Sharps was as good an arm as was possible, however once the buffalo herds were done in and the plains wars were over the need for that kind of huge knockdown power and range were done in as well. They hung on for a while in the long range international matches but as breechloaders repalced the muzzel loaders so the sidehammer Sharps were replaced with more modern actions. Even today the kind of games were it is commonly found require longrange knockdown power rather than min. of angle or less accuracy.

IP Logged

uteeqtee
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Smiley Sharps, Drew, and DWS--thanks for commemts/responses.  Changing gears from Hi-walls, in two days, I pick up my CPA Silhouette in .38-55; the suspense is almost unbearable!

Tommy (uteeqtee)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 11:59am
Print Post  
good choice on the CPA,  it has great lock time which should really help on the offhand chickens and the way the Stevens action walls are designed it avoids the cramped loading space that Leadball mentions as one of the (few LOL) objections he has to the "walls".  You will find that the CPAs ease of switching barrels makes them sore of addictive.

I'd be willing to make a small bet that within a few years you'll have the 22 rimfire setup (new block and barrel) as well as barrels and extractors in other calbres.  I know guys who have one basic action, stocks for benchrest. offhand, and shilouette, plus barrels and blocks for everything from 22 rf through 45-90 with half a dozen stops in between.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint