Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Borchardt 50-90 SS rebarrel (Read 750 times)
idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Borchardt 50-90 SS rebarrel
Apr 18th, 2024 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
As some of my friends know, I've been working on a rebarrel to .50-90 SS on one of my 1878 Sharps Borchardts over the last winter. Finally it is ready for test firing. Barrel exterior is not finished yet but plan to do that after test firing assuming all is well. Full octagon or round - that question still remains! Wink

A friend BobS was over and asked me about sights for this rifle... so I thought I'd post here and ask for suggestions? I have assra prints for Soule sights and might go down that road as well. This is a converted military Borchardt receiver that was a varminter conversion back in the 1950's I suspect. Rear tang is not drilled for anything. Does someone make a base for these? 

I have a Frank Zika LR tangsight, that I was thinking about making another base for, to get this Borchardt up and shooting?

Thanks for your guidance and thoughts...
Jeff Pfeifer

Posting some picts of the extractor fitting process below. Made an "alignment aide" to assist milling the excess off the extractor while held in the milling vise. Found a perfect dental pick to help scribe the backside of the extractor. Then was able to fit a case mostly in the chamber and mark the frontside for the rim recess. Finish reamed in place once it was really close.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2024 at 5:12pm by idjeffp »  

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Re: Borchardt 50-90 SS rebarrel
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
One more... milling the extractor up to the scribed line in the vise using the alignment aide to hold it level and tightly in the vise...

Hope this might help someone contemplating this... was fun in any case!
JP
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2024 at 6:15pm by idjeffp »  

IP Logged

BobS
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Great Job Jeff! Can't wait for the firing line. Bob

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Retirements kinda fun, isn’t it!  Nice work!
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
I bought a rear tang sight for my Borchadrt I beleive from MVA. They may be able to fix you up with something.

Just looked. they show a base.

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I bought a rear tang sight for my Borchadrt I beleive from MVA. They may be able to fix you up with something.

Just looked. they show a base.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I bought a Parts Unknown copy of the Borchardt Long Range sight years ago and put it on my Sharps. They have the knurled elevation knob between the uprights on the staff and work like a rack and pinion setup.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Yes, loving retirement so far. Getting caught up on so many projects...
Thanks!
Jeff P

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the steer to the MVA Borchardt sight... I know that sight and will check out MVA.
Jeff P

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2024 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Another idea to mull over.  Give Borchardt rifle company a call and see if they still have any removable top tangs that they used on their new rifles.  They make them with two dimensions between the ears. One is .250" and another at .300".  When you decide which tang sight you're going use, then you can order the correct  base.  Most of today's modern tang sights are .250" in width. Or just make your own.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 9:20am
Print Post  
I'm partial to a full-round barrel on a Borchardt Cheesy

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
SchwartzStock wrote on Apr 22nd, 2024 at 9:20am:
I'm partial to a full-round barrel on a Borchardt Cheesy

Yes, contemplating that as well as that is what SRC was promoting back in the day for the Long-Range Borchardts as I remember from my readings.

I have a local friend that has a vintage JP Lower .50-90SS full strait-octagon bbl (JP Lower marked bbl) Borchardt. It's been in his family on his mom's side for some time. Pretty darn cool to see that one.

Awaiting my copy of Roy Marcott's Vol IV Sharps Borchardt book like so many others here... might find some more inspiration in those pages too!

While I'm asking ... Any thoughts on optimal bbl length for a .50-90SS?

Cheers!
Jeff P

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2024 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Those pictures look kinda like the breech end of the 16 inch navel guns on the Missouri! That is a big hole. Are you contemplating any problems with the recoil from those big slugs? I see maybe a Limbsaver pad in your future. Great work on the extractor by the way...

JMH

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2024 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
JHM, would you be thinking the same way about a 12 gauge shooting 1 1/8 ounce of shot? The heaviest bullet for the original 50-90 weighed less than that and a 12 gauge shotgun weighs a lot less that this Borchardt will. True, the 90 grains of black has to be added in but think of all the long range shooters using the 45-90 with a more than a 10% heavier bullet. Ever have a 12 gauge double fire both barrels at once? I have and I didn't know until the guys I was shooting with said they thought it had doubled. I didn't believe them until I opened the action.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2024 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
No no I am just amazed at the big rounds in shouldered guns. I have a 74 Sharps 50-90 that weighs 12 pounds so it isn't bad to shoot. Some folks are just more recoil sensitive than others. I have always been fascinated by the big navel guns. Sheer power in those guns. As far as a shotgun yes I have fired both barrels of an old Parker hammer gun and it was an eye opener. Didn't mean to but I pulled both hammers back and that is a no no. I fired the left barrel and both went off. I am currently working on a Borchardt project in kit form. Thinking of chambering it in 38 Ballard extra long cause I have lots of 357 Max brass and a reamer. Haven't decided yet though.

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint