Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Taylor Uberti 1885 Double Trigger Misfiring (Read 523 times)
joelpend
Participating Member

Taylor Uberti 1885 Double Trigger Misfiring
Mar 9th, 2024 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
I have a friend that purchased a double trigger Taylor Uberti and it misfires badly. I have taken it apart twice and I think I know what the problem is but do not know a solution. The sear spring is very strong so a lot of pressure on the sear. I believe the fly is not preventing the sear from hitting the half cock legs and thus slowing the hammer fall. The hammer spring is plenty strong. Firing pin is good with no protrusion issue. Why do the half cock hooks also have protrusions that appear to serve no purpose. Will gladly appreciate any hints at how to solve this. Owner has not called Taylor, somone stated Taylor kept their rifle for months once and it was not fixed when they finally got it back. Don't need that.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Re: Taylor Uberti 1885 Double Trigger Misfiring
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2024 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Most of the double set triggers are a carry over from the muzzleloader days used as hunting rifles necessitating a half cock safety notch. If used as a match rifle the fly and half cock are unnecessary and a impediment. Remove the fly, weld up the half cock notch, retrace the hammer’s arc and enjoy a functional double set trigger for target purposes otherwise tune the fly and half cock so that the sear will guide over uninterrupted, good luck.

IP Logged

bpcrnut
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2024 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Premod70 is right on target.  If you want to retain the half cock notch make sure the half cock notch doesn’t protrude above the hammer fly.  Also, make sure the fly moves totally free.  I am reluctant to recommend removing the half cock notch, but as pointed out, its only purpose is to provide a safety if used as a hunting rifle. If you’re using this as a target rifle put a scope on it and drop the hammer on fired case while carefully observing the target.  You’ll likely see the cross hairs jump above your point of aim as the sear bounce over the hammer fly.   

AIM  
IP Logged

emmett22405

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2024 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Could not get mine to fire; wondered how they proofed it in Italy.  After several years as a closet queen (due, I thoght, to my bad reloading) both Uberti asserted it was the responsibility of the vendor--Dixie Gun works-- due to time lapse and Dixie asserted it was not their problem look to Uberti instead. The classic not my problem-they went thataway..  I sent it to Lee Shaver who announced it was the worst set up fly and half cock situation he'd ever seen and would never fire as it came from the factory.  I had him reline to 32-40 and never had another problem with it.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 3:55am
Print Post  
joelpend wrote on Mar 9th, 2024 at 2:50pm:
I have a friend that purchased a double trigger Taylor Uberti and it misfires badly. I have taken it apart twice and I think I know what the problem is but do not know a solution. The sear spring is very strong so a lot of pressure on the sear. I believe the fly is not preventing the sear from hitting the half cock legs and thus slowing the hammer fall. The hammer spring is plenty strong. Firing pin is good with no protrusion issue. Why do the half cock hooks also have protrusions that appear to serve no purpose. Will gladly appreciate any hints at how to solve this. Owner has not called Taylor, somone stated Taylor kept their rifle for months once and it was not fixed when they finally got it back. Don't need that.

5 yrs ago I bought a Uberti low wall with double set triggers from Taylor.  It had a problem missfiring.  It turns out it was a somewhat common problem at the time with the sear spring.  It was too strong.  I sent the spring back to Taylor.  It was modified to weaken it which worked fine.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 3:57am
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 11th, 2024 at 3:55am:
joelpend wrote on Mar 9th, 2024 at 2:50pm:

5 yrs ago I received a Uberti low wall for a friend with double set triggers from Taylor.  It had a problem missfiring.  It turns out it was a somewhat common problem at the time with the sear spring.  It was too strong.  I sent the spring back to Taylor.  It was modified to weaken it which worked fine.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

joelpend
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2024 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
The sear spring was so strong the sear would immediately dive into the half cock "Bump" on the hammer. I turned the sear spring over and now the gun works fine. The sear spring has the very slightest bend so instead of the leg pointing slightly upward it now points slightly downward. I polished the area where the hardened sear was diving into the hammer and acting like a chisel. Still plenty of spring force on the sear.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint