Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mirouku Hi-wall Trigger fail? (Read 928 times)
Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Mirouku Hi-wall Trigger fail?
Mar 5th, 2024 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
My Winchester/Browning/Mirouku Trigger  took a dump this weekend.The hammer won't catch the sear about 90% of the time.
I've owned many of these and never had an issue. I took one apart 25 years ago and it was a challenge,I'm not looking forward to digging into this ..
anyone else have a Trigger failure on these.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Re: Mirouku Hi-wall Trigger fail?
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
I've had good luck just blasting out the trigger/sear area with gun scrubber and then some rem-oil spray. A real pain to work on otherwise as you know.
Texas Mac who posts on here is the best authority on these actions.
Hope this helps,
Steve

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
I have a Miroku 1885 BPCR and had the same issue. I found it was debris in the sear notch, cleaned it well and it is working fine since then. They can be a challenge to disassemble and reassemble. I bought the kit and instructions to service these rifles years ago, quite the time and trouble saver.

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Yes, having taken one apart -- just once! -- I second the idea of giving it a good blast of Gun Scrubber or something similar; maybe remove the wood stock, and then blast it with high-pressure air when done.

And then give it a good squirt of Naptha. That will evaporate quickly but leave a thin non-varnishing trace of whatever-its-made-of on the trigger parts.

When I used to score IBS Benchrest Matches -- think of 12 pound .308s shooting 1/8" inch groups (5 shots, in the wind) free-recoil at 100 yards -- Naptha (aka Lighter Fluid) was all they used on their 2-ounce triggers.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
All I had in my kit when I was at the range was some brake cleaner and I blew the crap out of it but it didn't help.
I'll give it another whirl and maybe use my compressor to see if I can get some gunk out of it.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2024 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Old_No7 wrote on Mar 5th, 2024 at 10:08pm:
Yes, having taken one apart -- just once! -- I second the idea of giving it a good blast of Gun Scrubber or something similar; maybe remove the wood stock, and then blast it with high-pressure air when done.

And then give it a good squirt of Naptha. That will evaporate quickly but leave a thin non-varnishing trace of whatever-its-made-of on the trigger parts.

When I used to score IBS Benchrest Matches -- think of 12 pound .308s shooting 1/8" inch groups (5 shots, in the wind) free-recoil at 100 yards -- Naptha (aka Lighter Fluid) was all they used on their 2-ounce triggers.

Old No7

I was shooting a 30BR(Wichita with shellholder bolt)  in a cast match 25 yesrs or so back  and had a tight round. The dummy that I was just pulled the bolt out and back ,the bullet stayed  the throat and i dumped ball powder into my trigger...match over!
The old guy next to me shook his head and said "you know , probably would have been a better idea to tip the muzzle up a bit.."

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I bought the "kit" 20 years ago for $25.00.Have owned afew of the BPCR rifles. After the first time to tear down and put together took me A good hour.I spent the After noon and could tear down and back together in 1/2 hour.It was well worth the $$$   John Steep out of Shingletown,CA made up the cross pin and delrin lever,very ingenious and made A whole lot of difference !

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

fayettefatts
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Is this takedown and reassembly kit and instructions that you speak of still available? If so, from where?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 11:29am
Print Post  
It took me three evenings-worth of cussing to get a B-78 back together 40 years ago. Swore I would never do it again, and I haven't. 

Such a kit would interest me too as I have a couple Mirokus "on duty" now and would like to dismantle one of them for a deep cleaning.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Unfortunately John Steppe passed away a number of years ago. I'm not aware of anyone else who is making the takedown kit.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2024 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I sent my kit to Brian after i sold off my last BPCR 40-82 to him quite afew years ago. If he sees this post maybe he'll tale a pic. would be very easy to make the delrin lever,the metal "L" pin  and buy the two punches. I also made two blocks of wood to hold action to remove pics,etc. Like i said a very slick kit and well worth the $$. I remember there is a detent bearing and the lever held it in place while you slid the springs back in position. Takes longer to tell that to do.  Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Mar 5th, 2024 at 9:50pm:
My Winchester/Browning/Mirouku Trigger  took a dump this weekend.The hammer won't catch the sear about 90% of the time.
I've owned many of these and never had an issue. I took one apart 25 years ago and it was a challenge,I'm not looking forward to digging into this ..
anyone else have a Trigger failure on these.

Trigger problems with the rifles are not common but are not rare.  Assuming you've given the action a good cleaning & blown it out with compressed air, & also tried adjusting the trigger spring located behind the trigger & still have the problem, it's likely a weakened or broken hammer sear spring.  In that case the action will have to be disassembled to determine the problem and/or replace the spring.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2024 at 10:59am
Print Post  
The most vital piece of match equipment I carry when shooting the Browning BPCR is a soda straw from McDonalds. A couple of blows through the straw aimed at the sear contact usually outs the fouling and one can continue shooting.

IP Logged

semtav

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Skalkaho wrote on Mar 6th, 2024 at 12:58pm:
I sent my kit to Brian after i sold off my last BPCR 40-82 to him quite afew years ago. If he sees this post maybe he'll tale a pic. would be very easy to make the delrin lever,the metal "L" pin  and buy the two punches. I also made two blocks of wood to hold action to remove pics,etc. Like i said a very slick kit and well worth the $$. I remember there is a detent bearing and the lever held it in place while you slid the springs back in position. Takes longer to tell that to do.  Pete

I'll see what I can find this evening. Not sure where I stashed them. Got a bunch of those guns and used to be easy, but haven't done it for a couple years so would be a whole new learning curve. 

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 11:42am
Print Post  
I'm not sure what John Stepp kit you guys are referring to but here's a photo of the kit that John sold for the Miroku Browning's.  It contained only the three items, no punches.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint