Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rolling Block, Pedersoli Firing Pin (Read 934 times)
Grigg

Rolling Block, Pedersoli Firing Pin
Feb 12th, 2024 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
I'm a little confused about what model rolling block I have and how to find a firing pin.
45-70, I believe it is a Perdersoli.  Barrel is marked under the forend "Lone Star Rifle Co. Conroe, Texas"
Action is marked on the forward face with presumably a serial number and "CAT. 3514"

The firing pin is probably functional but has been welded on the back end and ground down not very carefully, I'd like to replace with a better part.
The parts diagrams I can find don't match what my breach block and firing pin retainer look like. It is different than a new Pedersoli I also have.

This older one has a stamped metal finger pined in the breach block that retains the firing pin.  I'm unclear if it does any more than that, it seems like a fussy way to do the job.  this finger is also not in very good shape on the top end. 
Certainly a different method than the later model with a little screw to retain the firing pin.

Overall length as modified 1.010"
Pin length approximately 0.214"
Diameter 0.235"

Vti gun parts shows the following but I don't believe it's what I need??
Pedersoli Firing Pin (Rolling Block Target, Silhouette, Long Range Creedmoor, No 1 Sporting, Super Match) Overall Length 0.9125", Pin Length 0.228" As of 2017 All RB use 0800004458Pedersoli Firing Pin (Rolling Block John Bodine, Cavalry, Creedmoor, Mississippi .22,.45, .357) Overall Length 0.911", Pin Length 0.2870" - Stepped Shoulder - as of 2017 All Rolling Blocks use this FP

Is this a part I can still purchase somewhere?
I'm open to making a new one with a little bit of advise on how to.  I am a machinist however I lack experience working on firearms.

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

Grigg

Re: Rolling Block, Pedersoli Firing Pin
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
I see now that the little stamped steel finger that retains the firing pin also retracts it as the breach block is opened.

Still interested in any relevant info and suggestions.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
I’m surprised no one has jumped on this.  I wouldn’t have a clue where to get parts but if you have the equipment grab a piece of O-1 and make a new pin.  Looks pretty simple.  You’ve got it apart and that’s all the experience you need.   
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 4:20am
Print Post  
I once saw one of the new Remington RB's that was having a lot of misfires. Looking at it I discovered the firing pin was too short. If you raised the muzzle the firing would drop back in the block, if you dropped the muzzle the pin would drop into the block where the hammer could not reach it. As an interim fix I put a small leaf spring under the retainer to push the firing pin back in the block where the hammer could reach it.

Make sure your new pin is long enough!

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
And no one mentioned  the Lone Star Rifle company from the late Dave Higginbotham, even stranger...  Standard RB parts should work, no?

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
And no one mentioned  the Lone Star Rifle company from the late Dave Higginbotham, even stranger...  A standard RB firing pin should work, no?

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Feb 13th, 2024 at 1:22pm:
And no one mentioned  the Lone Star Rifle company from the late Dave Higginbotham, even stranger...  A standard RB firing pin should work, no?

That would be a "No".

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
The original #1 Sporting Rifles had a tapered firing pin that changed to straight contour behind the notch for the screw. Here's a picture of one at Numrich:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The one you have appears to have been boogered up by someone, but might be a Pedersoli, and should be able to buy it from VTI in Florida.

IP Logged

Grigg

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info and links.

I'm not sure the tapered firing pin with sloped back end from Numrich is correct, though that parts diagram does show the same style firing pin retractor.

Possibly the pin from Pedersoli from VTI but I think it would be to short.  Might be what the modified one I have started as and didn't fit/function?

So far leaning toward making one, I'll do some more studying.

I believe Dave Higginbotham installed or replaced the barrel on an existing action, it probably wasn't one of his full custom rifles.  Although I believe he also started with Pedersoli actions? Who knows more of that history?
I'll ask the friend I got this one from for more details on it, I believe he had Dave do the work some years ago.

Thanks,
Grigg

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2024 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Any good machinist can make a new pin for your rifle. I use spring steel from old cars and they hold up well. Have made many firing pins over the years.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Grigg wrote on Feb 13th, 2024 at 9:29pm:
Thanks for the info and links.

I'm not sure the tapered firing pin with sloped back end from Numrich is correct, though that parts diagram does show the same style firing pin retractor.

Possibly the pin from Pedersoli from VTI but I think it would be to short.  Might be what the modified one I have started as and didn't fit/function?

So far leaning toward making one, I'll do some more studying.

I believe Dave Higginbotham installed or replaced the barrel on an existing action, it probably wasn't one of his full custom rifles.  Although I believe he also started with Pedersoli actions? Who knows more of that history?
I'll ask the friend I got this one from for more details on it, I believe he had Dave do the work some years ago.

Thanks,
Grigg

The firing pin from Numrich is sloped on the front half, not back end. And it's an original Remington part from the run of Rollers they made in 1997, so it is exactly like what Remington used back in the 1800's. I've purchased a bunch of those parts from Numrich for Rolling Block projects, and amazed at how well they fit older Rolling Block actions.
Numrich can be hit or miss on repro parts often, but since these are not made for them they're good. Just maybe not what your Pedersoli-Lone Star might use.

IP Logged

Grigg

Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2024 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestions and info thus far.

Decided to make my own firing pin from O-1 tool steel rod I already had.

New pin fits nicely and has appropriate protrusion on pin end, 0.055".   
The back end, or overall length, presently is the same as the modified one was.  Therefore the hammer falls as far as it did before, and looks like as far as it ever had from the wear in the finish on the locking surfaces of hammer and breech block. The face of the hammer is about parallel with the end of firing pin, or perpendicular with firing pin bore. That all seems good.

What I'm concerned about is the hammer to firing pin clearance at half-cock.  I presume you want a little more space between the hammer and firing pin than what the firing pin protrusion is.  So the pin will not touch the primer at half cock.

See attached picture, both at half-cock, the older one in foreground only has 0.027" clearance with (new) firing pin fully seated.
The newer rifle has lots of clearance at half-cock.
How much room did original rolling blocks have?

I'm planning to shorten the back of the firing pin about 0.035-0.040" thus allowing more lock up than it previously had and keeping pin off primer at half-cock.   
Anything else I should check or consider?

Still need to weld and reshape end of firing pin retraction lever and mill the notch in the firing pin. Also harden and temper the pin.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2024 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Never owned a Pedersoli, but original Rolling Blocks had the firing pin cut so the rear of the pins were flush to the breech block, and nothing above. This kept the hammer from peening the back of the pin as it was stopped by the breech block.
I push the firing pin into the block until it bottoms, and then use a Sharpie felt pen to mark what sits above the block. Then cut off the excess.

IP Logged

RBKenn

Reply #13 - Apr 10th, 2024 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
VTI Gunparts  Lakeville CT was the licensed distributer for Pedersoli repair parts in the US.  I think they also handled the Navy Arms parts etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint