Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hauck/Farky (Read 602 times)
gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Hauck/Farky
Apr 1st, 2024 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
After an extended gestation I have 'finished' and squib load fired the Hauck with the Farquharson extractor. The receiver is shorter than the original Hauck. It retains the Hauck relationship of hammer, breech block and sear, which I like!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The breech block is much taller and, as you can see, the recoil surfaces have been moved forward. This makes for a breech block much less subject to tipping due to the contact between hammer (in the block) and sear (in the receiver).

In order for a rebounding hammer to be used, the reach of the main spring had to be limited to just before the firing pin contacts the primer, allowing the hammer to continue to move without main spring pressure. A pin through the pin slot seen on the side of the block, allows for this. The Mann Niedner firing pin is used in conjunction with the rebounding hammer; really important!

A view from the bottom of the receiver.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:34pm by gwahir »  

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Re: Hauck/Farky
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
The original Hauck system required the lever to be initially moved forward against spring pressure to unlock the lever and to retract the firing pin before the breech block could be lowered.

The rebounding hammer modification allows the Mann-Niedner firing pin to retract and get out of the way of the lowering the breech block with out complicated mechanical input; a big deal! 

I needed to be able to hold the lever closed while it was holding the block in the firing position. This was complicated by the fact that pressure from the cocked hammer, to the mainspring, was trying to drop the block and lower the lever! I needed this fairly powerful latch. It uses a coil spring which can be replaced with a stiffer one if need be. I am happy with it so far. The lever has to push against the latch with some force before it releases. The upside; when the lever is released the required excess force ends up hitting the extractor; which is what we want! The extractor becomes an ejector!

All the parts.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2024 at 1:32am by gwahir »  

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Very clever. I like your work.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Well executed machining on the action. Looks like you have punched all the buttons for a properly operating single shot action. 
Very creative and looking forward to the finished product.
Chuck

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
The extractor. Investment cast Farquharson. If I had to make it, it would have terminated the whole program! Thanks, Rodney.

The extractor before movement. The center part is not contacting the extractor.

The center part beginning to contact the extractor. At this point it has applied serious force to the extractor and the case is loose in the chamber.

The center part has changed it's relationship to the extractor greatly increasing extractor movement. Extraction is complete.

The middle part is very important. I had to reshape mine a couple of times and ended up adding a set screw to serve as an adjustable contact point.. 

The timing is really important for the extractor to work well. This one does. I have a couple farquharsons that I will have to revisit and see if they can be improved.

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2024 at 8:32pm by gwahir »  

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 3:16pm
Print Post  

The rather confusing front of the receiver! The two lower 1/4" holes contain nylon locking set screws, gently holding the breech block against the receiver recoil surfaces, through out it's travel. The barrel also contacts the breech block for the same purpose. 

The center 1/4" x 28 hole will attach the for end with a long rod like the one used through the butt stock.

The upper screw hole to the left contains an extractor pin  set screw.  I use an .001" over size hole for all action pins and use set screws to retain them.

The wood is functional and good enough to shoot gophers at this point. I expect to finish the wood next winter. I used a 1" straight barrel in KHornet.

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2024 at 12:04am by gwahir »  

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2024 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
After working out the timing for the extractor, I needed to retime the the block movement. This required making a different linkage; linkage is not used in the original Hauck. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint