Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) #1's & #5 Rolling Block Receivers?. (Read 1229 times)
RollingBlockHeadMi
Participating Member

#1's & #5 Rolling Block Receivers?.
Feb 4th, 2024 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
What are the differences.
Talking to Laurie, I see the Organization has drawings for a #1 Rolling block, that I will send for tomorrow.
But what are the differences between the two?.

Wanting to make receivers as waiting for them to come up on the sale block might take more years than I have at this point. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: #1's & #5 Rolling Block Receivers?.
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
RollingBlockHeadMi wrote on Feb 4th, 2024 at 5:18pm:
What are the differences.
Talking to Laurie, I see the Organization has drawings for a #1 Rolling block, that I will send for tomorrow.
But what are the differences between the two?.

Wanting to make receivers as waiting for them to come up on the sale block might take more years than I have at this point. Lips Sealed

You should probably stick to posting the question once, instead of starting two identical threads here.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Have you ever machined an action from scratch?  If you haven't, you might be surprised by the amount of time and effort it takes.

Also a caution, the drawings that you will receive are not adequate to correctly machine a rolling block action.  They were put together by a draftsman reverse engineering one as best as he could, but have errors that will absolutely make the action not work correctly if you can't identify them and correct.  It is best to have a correct and fully functional action in hand to verify the drawings and compare to when you machine yours out.

Rolling block actions are readily available, and not particularly expensive to acquire.  Kenn at rollingblockparts.com has several, give him a call.  I'll link a snapshot of some of them on his site below.  They also come up in the classifieds here frequently, and a wanted to buy ad would probably generate numerous offers, if you're willing to pay the going rate.  If you want to pick one up for a 1960's price, you might be waiting a while, though.   

If you want to machine an action from scratch for the experience and bragging rights, and have the tooling to do it, go for it.  But, don't think it's a good alternative to just buying one and going with it, to get one sooner.  You could go out and walk the roads picking up cans to sell, and use the money to buy an action.  You'd end up with one sooner that way than using the same amount of time to machine one out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
As to your question about are there differences?  Yes.  The frames have substantial dimensional differences, and the hammer and breechblock spurs are different.  The extractor system is also entirely different, as the #5 was made for rimless 7mm mauser cartridges.   

However, the breech blocks and hammers and all the working parts interchange easily between the two, if the extractor is changed accordingly.  If you're building a rifle, parts can easily be mixed and matched to come up with a complete rifle, with parts from almost any era of the full size rolling block.   

There are some different models, like the New York Contract rifles, and the Springfield rifles, that parts won't entirely interchange.  And a lot of the swedish and danish ones have some different pin retractor and extractor parts.  But, for the most part, the parts mostly interchange.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Do the #5's have a larger threaded barrel shank than the #1's? I believe the #5 1897 actions have a sliding extractor do they not?

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Feb 4th, 2024 at 7:40pm:
Do the #5's have a larger threaded barrel shank than the #1's? I believe the #5 1897 actions have a sliding extractor do they not?

Barrel shank #1 is .975", #5 is 1.055".  Yes, the 1897 patent rifles have a sliding extractor.

Don't make too much about the #5 being stronger because of larger barrel and thicker receiver.

In reality, the original barrel size of .975" is more than adequate with modern barrel steel.  And, the receiver thickness around the barrel tenon isn't all that relevant; it's there to hold the barrel, not to hold in the pressure; that's the barrels job.  The #5 is also not symetrically thicker, so with hoop stress, a lot of the thicker receiver ring doesn't count anyway.   

The weak point of the rolling block is twofold:  One, it springs because of play and give in the breechblock/hammer assembly, and causes brass to stretch and give.  Two, it doesn't handle leaking gases well; which is particularly a problem with an action that allows brass to stretch and separate.  It routes leaking gases back into the shooters face, and if the primer ruptures, it can also blow the firing pin back and out, and/or blow the hammer back and allow the block to open; blowing gases and the ejected cartridge into the shooters face.

It's a perfectly safe and acceptable action, but needs to be held to less than about 35,000 psi in 30-30 size head cases, and 28,000 psi in .45-70 size cases.

There's a lot of people that have chambered high pressure rounds in one, and lived to tell about it.  The worst one I've seen was in 7mm mag.  But, it's not smart to do so.  It is literally an accident waiting to happen.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2024 at 7:55pm by ssdave »  

IP Logged

awp101

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Feb 4th, 2024 at 7:47pm:

It's a perfectly safe and acceptable action, but needs to be held to less than about 35,000 psi in 30-30 size head cases, and 28,000 psi in .45-70 size cases.

So factory .30-30 (IIRC SAAMI spec is 42,000) would be pushing things?

I realize the picture from the DeHaas book shows the No1 and 1-1/2 are good for .30-30 but the actions are now also at least 30 years older than that chart.

The Wheels of Justification grind slowly but inexorably

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
awp101 wrote on Feb 4th, 2024 at 8:31pm:
ssdave wrote on Feb 4th, 2024 at 7:47pm:

So factory .30-30 (IIRC SAAMI spec is 42,000) would be pushing things?

I realize the picture from the DeHaas book shows the No1 and 1-1/2 are good for .30-30 but the actions are now also at least 30 years older than that chart.

And, Frank DeHaas was working with a different perspective than we have today, and his audience was returning servicemen from WWII.  They wanted rifles that were out of the reach of the average guy financially; and were doing all kinds of homemade solutions to get shootable rifles.  The level of risk they were willing to take, in the absence of alternatives was higher than we should take today.  Actions and rifles are plentiful, and affordable to most; there's absolutely no reason to take chances.

My firm belief is that DeHaa's recommendations are marginal for safety, and should be approached very conservatively.  He was a much better writer than gunsmith and firearms expert.  His drawings and rifle descriptions and his descriptive firearms knowledge are excellent, but his recommendations for safety are on the edge of safety.  The additional 50 years of age on the actions isn't really relevant, if properly cared for, they're unlikely to lose strength.

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
.30-30 size case heads include much milder cartridges such as .32-40 and .38-55, probably .25-35 as well. Perhaps ssdave could have worded it a bit differently, but I for one knew the direction the advisement was leaning in.

I’d love to rebarrel a 7mm rolling block to .30-30, but if it isn’t the best route, well, there are other actions to choose from.

While I’ve never seen one that was remade into a 7mm Magnum  Shocked I have seen about four different rollers that were done up as a .257 Roberts over the years. Right now on Gunbroker there is one made up as a .25 Remington of all things.

Things were a bit different back in the day, when the cost of changing the plumbing was far lower than it is now.

IP Logged

awp101

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2024 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the clarification ssdave and Otony.  I’m kicking around a .30-30 project which is why the “Danger Will Robinson!” alarm went off in my head when reading that.

The Wheels of Justification grind slowly but inexorably

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2024 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
awp101 wrote on Feb 5th, 2024 at 1:28pm:
Thanks for the clarification ssdave and Otony.  I’m kicking around a .30-30 project which is why the “Danger Will Robinson!” alarm went off in my head when reading that.

Do a .32-40 or .32 special and you won't have to worry about someone using high pressure factory ammo in it.  Or load sensibly for it yourself as a .30-30, and don't worry about setting someone in the future up for a potential problem.  A lot of guys take that approach.  I wouldn't recommend it, but it's your rifle, and your sense of ethics.

IP Logged

RollingBlockHeadMi
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2024 at 10:11am
Print Post  
ssdave, you have a vast amount of knowledge about these rolling block, and I appreciate you sharing this information very much.
Thanks

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2024 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
you could always stamp the barrel  black powder only for future safety  art

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Some of the later #5s were chambered in 30-03 or 30-06. While I don't think it is a good idea to go that much it should not be a problem for a 30-30 which is less pressure than the 7X57. I have seen a few that will bend the base on 7X57 brass because the breach block is not square to the bore. For myself I went to 38-55 on a #5 because the 45-70 was getting to be to much recoil on my old shoulder. I have a #5 with a 45-90 barrel installed that was never finished. Anyone interested can contact me.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
That's what I was wondering about,  the pressure of a 7 mm compared to a .30-30.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint