Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 303 British liner (Read 875 times)
moodyholler
Oldtimer

303 British liner
Nov 19th, 2023 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Where to buy 303 British barrel liner? I have a neat British rifle that was 303 now 22lr I would like to reconvert. Thanks moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 303 British liner
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2023 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Up in the pinned topics, TJ's lists a .303-.311 10 twist liner?

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2023 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Only 1/2 in diameter. Awfully thin I think. Would prefer thicker in high intensity cartridge. Like 303.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Otony

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2023 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
My sneaking suspicion here is that moodyholler is onto something. I’ve read (which means I really have an uninformed opinion) that lining barrels needs to be limited to pistol calibers or low intensity cartridges. There seems to be a notion that cartridges at .30-30 levels or so, are probably not good candidates, much less .303 British.

Having written that, I had a Marlin 336 that had been lined to .25-35, and it handled factory loads with aplomb. I might have been guilty of pushing my reloads a little hotter, but I certainly wasn’t trying to make it into a .250-3000.

I’ve heard the Bob Hoyt will make a thicker liner, essentially a turned down barrel, so that might be an avenue to explore. Or turning down an existing barrel to create a liner.

Maybe a much better idea, if admittedly more expensive, is to rebarrel it.

Otony
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2023 at 5:59pm by Otony »  

IP Logged

AJ

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2023 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
I seem to recall that the British sometimes installed liners without  reaming, or otherwise modifying the original bore.  If that is the case, restoring it to the original caliber might be as simple as removing the liner, and whatever chamber sleeve that might have been used.  It might be a good idea to determine if that is the case by measuring the existing liner diameter to see if it matches the .303 bore diameter.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Is the candidate rifle a Martini-Henry service rifle modified with a .22 rimfire liner for miniature rifle shooting societies in the UK? There were a helluva lot of them so altered. Also a heckuva lot of said alterations were done so by Parker-Hale (and so marked in tiny lettering on the muzzle), and/or done by other concerns using Parkerifled liners. I've seen and owned a few of them over the years and accuracy/function was not a given.

I too wouldn't be comfy with a 1/2" liner chambered for .303 British, and I wonder if there's any reputable smiths out there that would recommend it. I would ask John Taylor about it before going any further.

Were it mine I would either begin hunting for a .303 British take-off barrel, or bite the bullet and have a new barrel fitted/chambered for it if I really had an uncontrollable urge to shoot it.

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Gnoah it is a dangerous game rifle. Single shot by Bates. Pics to Follow. Barrel mighty fancy. Be mighty tough to replicate. moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 2:49pm
Print Post  

Pic of breec

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Pic of rifle

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I would shoot/use it as is. Cool rifle.

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
There are gunsmiths who could turn the original breech area of that barrel into a monobloc and insert an entirely new barrel into place. You would retain the breech (where the locking lugs are) and have a new tube. The forend undoubtedly is retained by some mechanism further forward on the barrel, and that would have to be duplicated, or removed and then grafted onto the new tube.

Not a simple task, but definitely easier to do than recreating the entire barrel assembly

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Yes, that is the best approach.
I did that to an Army & Navy many years ago - done carefully the joint underneath was only visible with the barrel taken off.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Aha. Nifty rifle, Moody.

Another thought. Bore it out to clean up the current liner hole, then re-line it (finally, a chance to use the term "reline") for a modest caliber centerfire? Say, .32-40, .357 Maximum, or somesuch? Wouldn't rejuvenate it as a "dangerous game rifle" but would be dandy for a Virginia Blue Ridge game rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint