Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Reloading bench Pictures? (Read 3229 times)
SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reloading bench Pictures?
Jan 30th, 2024 at 4:35am
Print Post  
I moved last February and since then I have been using a very heavy folding steel table as a reloading bench. I have used it off and on over 30 years as an interim solution while I got around to building something permanent.

I'm at that stage again of thinking about designs I can build into the wall in the area I located in the attic. I've got an area about 12' long and 8' deep. The back wall is made of concrete block and I will anchor whatever I build into that.

I have a Dillon 550 but don't think I will install it, just an RCBS Ammomaster and a Jr press since I am not buring up tons of 308 these days. When I do load 308 it is rarely more than 50rds for hunting, mostly loading BP cartridge. I use the Jr exclusively for depriming and the Ammomaster for loading.

Along with the presses I will mount two UniFlow measures that are on a single base with a drop-tube between them and a separate RCBS priming tool.

I know I have lots of space but would be interested in how others have laid out their benches. THIS WILL BE THE LAST ONE I BUILD!!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2024 at 2:01pm by SchwartzStock »  

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Reloading bench Pictures?
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2024 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Reconsider mounting the Dillon, if it earns a place under the bench in a box, like mine, it may as well hava a spot on your bench. You could have up to sixteen linear feet of bench space.

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Back at the turn of the century, I made this one:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Scale is at eye level and bench is very solid.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Jan 30th, 2024 at 8:25am:
Reconsider mounting the Dillon, if it earns a place under the bench in a box, like mine, it may as well hava a spot on your bench. You could have up to sixteen linear feet of bench space.

so why is yours not on the bench?

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Ray_Newman wrote on Jan 31st, 2024 at 1:33pm:
Back at the turn of the century, I made this one:

Scale is at eye level and bench is very solid.

I built this same one around 1985. Lots of storage space and still as solid as the day I built it.

I would likely need to take out a loan to buy the plywood and 4x4s now. Sad

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
More like kind of a collection of furniture and storage.  Like the old saying "A place for everything and where did I put that?"

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Like mine - every flat spot - including the top of piles, has something on it. Everything on the actual bench is now (actually, has been for quite some time) at the angle of natural repose....

I don't believe you're a real reloader unless it's like this!

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I downsized last year to a place in town close to my disabled wife's Dr's.I miss the bigger ares and have half my crap jammed in a 3rd car garage bay.I still need to build a separate casting shed out back.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2024 at 9:51pm by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Damnit, I know it's here somewhere!

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 8:06am
Print Post  
SchwartzStock,
Are we helping your cause? I know that after seeing pics of other benches, I am not going to clean mine. I feel better now!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 10:50am
Print Post  
My bench was easy! I was doing some electrical work for a local bank during a remodel and they were tearing out counters. One was a 8 ft. long coin counter they used for sorting machines, and it is all steel square box tubing, with a lower shelf, and a formica 1.25" thick top shelf. The counter is taller than a normal counter top at around 40" which I really like.
The workers hauled it down to the compactor area and were going to have a scrapper haul it off. I stopped them and told them I'd haul it away. It was a bit of a task to get it downstairs into my basement gun room, but it's been my only bench for several decades. I built shelves to sit against the wall that hold all my dies and various accessories. Have a vise on one end and my reloading tools spaced along the edge. The shelf below has plastic storage bins for all my brass. 

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 11:56am
Print Post  
SBoomer wrote on Feb 1st, 2024 at 8:06am:
SchwartzStock,
Are we helping your cause? I know that after seeing pics of other benches, I am not going to clean mine. I feel better now!

Is that your shooting port window in the second photo? With what looks like a hatch door folded up? Very nice setup!

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
My reloading room.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Otony wrote on Feb 1st, 2024 at 11:56am:
SBoomer wrote on Feb 1st, 2024 at 8:06am:
SchwartzStock,

Is that your shooting port window in the second photo? With what looks like a hatch door folded up? Very nice setup!

Yes it is. I had to make the door to try to minimize escaping heat in the winter. I regularly shoot at temps of down to -20f and the escaping heat mirage is almost unmanageable. The lower door is for bench and the upper door for offhand use. It works very well as long as you remember to open the double-hung first Roll Eyes. The red dots are on the glass for a reason! The other pic is my 100 and 200yd range. I had the use of a D5N this fall and finally pushed it in so I can do snow removal. In a “normal” year you would be looking at 5ft banks by now. It was my dream to have this shooting set-up and I am very thankful for it. I have a permanent quick release chrono stand built in location with the readout inside next to my camera monitor.

IP Logged

BWS

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2024 at 7:05am
Print Post  
1962'ish cabinets came out of a kitchen I built new cherry replacements for. They're of a historical period in the business that interested me so.... kept them. Have a very "lab" look/feel to them. Own a mill shop so can have pretty much anything.... these are very special to folks in the biz.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint