Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shop organization, my journey (Read 3129 times)
bohemianway
Oldtimer

Re: Shop organization, my journey
Reply #30 - Jan 21st, 2024 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I was going to put up a few pictures of my "organization" but it is better to just let you visualize an episode of "Hoarders". I have finally gotten to the point where I can not do anything for the lack of a clear horizontal surface.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Did a little bit on the organization today, cut out and glued up a drawer, have the slides in hand so I could measure everything up.  To hang the drawer, added a couple of 2x8's on each side of the drawer space, pocket screwed them into the workbench frame, hanging down to attach the drawer slides to.  The drawers will be deep enough to put files with handles in lenghtways if I decide that works best.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Dave, I did the same with my files and rasps.  The drawer is directly under my vice.  The top flat slides back and forth for access under it.  Would have been nice if it was full width...running out of room to keeping everything separated.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

50target

Reply #33 - Feb 10th, 2024 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I have a 16x32 that handles reloading, tools, equipment, storage, and all the wife pushes off on me. Just got through organizing (again) and have all reloading on one entire side and the rest in the middle and other side. Lordy, it pained me to look at your pics. I know what is ahead of you. When you mentioned you were retired I am assuming you ain't no "spring chicken". I ain't either. One recommendation, put a whole bunch of LED lighting "everywhere" when you think you have enough, add another. Gonna be a heck of a man cave when you're done.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Two drawers made and installed; these will help a lot.  One to hold projects in progress more neatly and get them off the bench; and one for files and similar tools to have them more accessible and organized.  Bench is starting to get a lot better already.  

One thing that is apparent is that I need an organizer and space for sandpaper.  I have a dedicated cabinet in the other shop that stores from a few dozen to a couple hundred sheets of each grit from 30 to 2000.  Realistically, only use 80, 120, 150, 180,220,300,400,600,800 down in this shop, and two sheets of each at the most, with the 180 and up only needing one to cut pieces off of.  A pile in the file drawer might be a sufficient accommodation; I think I'll try that first.

Another thing that needs to go is the wrenches hung on the left peg board.  I need almost no wrenches down here, use maybe 3 or 4 of them.  These wrenches used to be in my shop because I didn't have the second heated shop and did some tasks at the gunsmithing bench out of necessity.  I hate to get rid of them; they're favorite full polish Proto 500 that were expensive/hard to afford when I got them.  Now they're excess to the full sets in the other shop, and in the way down here, the space is needed much more for other stuff.  Was thinking the big ball peen hammers should be moved out of this shop but used the biggest one two or three times in the past week; so apparently more need than I had been thinking.  They can stay for awhile.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I mentioned I was sending off files and rasps to Boggs to have them sharpened.  Got them back today.  I'm pleased with the results; and the price was at least reasonable, and more accurately a real bargain.  

I sent in a range of files, to see how they would come back.  The most expensive files came back the best; but also cost the most at $6.60 each.  The vixen shearing file and the rasp came back like new, and the rasp had a huge amount of improvement on it as it had some dull teeth.  As you all know, these are expensive rasps; so $6.60 to make them new is amazing.

The finer files came back with the least improvement, but were still quite good and they were very inexpensive to do.  The most pleasing sharpening was a large triangular file that is one of my favorites for stock work; I use it to straighten and flatten lines.  It came back sharpened like new.  

Here's some before pictures of some of the files.  I derusted them with electrolysis before sending them to Boggs, they told me that wasn't necessary but it really helped, I can see some rust I didn't remove stayed through their process:

Here's the after pictures:

And my favorites in their place, ready to use:

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #36 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Wow! That’s a huge difference! You’ve got me thinking hard about this

IP Logged

Poison Slinger
Participating Member

Reply #37 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 11:42am
Print Post  
That is quite the journey Dave! 

My shop is still a cluttered mess... God forbid I pass and the kids have to figure my 'system' out! 

R

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Feb 26th, 2024 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Never heard of Boggs, found their web site. Very interesting, am going to send a few try them out.

Thanks for the tip.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint