Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shop organization, my journey (Read 3135 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Shop organization, my journey
Reply #15 - Jan 15th, 2024 at 10:18am
Print Post  
More Boats shop.

2nd bench facing the main same size 10’ x 2’ it’s higher used for layout and assembly without bending over. Light duty only fixed vise is small. Portable Panavise on a heavy base used for assembly small parts or holding micrometer etc.

Run tool boxes on it. Grey wood lathe bottom drawers measuring and Layout tools top.  Center box drills punches and reamers large taps too  right small mill fixtures, end mills etc. also small size taps. Odd lumber stored underneath. Bench top small tin breads pans, parts when dissembling, cartridge cases bullets loading etc. Dollar each at Dollar Tree 

Notice the ex school locker left side ? Found a guy that bought 100 or so sold cheap, this one holds abrasives top nuts bolts & screws bottom , middle row shop supplies 

Boats
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2024 at 10:25am by boats »  

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 15th, 2024 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I like how you keep a working bench clean, Boats.  That's more what I'm trying to get to with this one.  Quit using any of the horizontal space for storage, except when something is in progress.

I'm starting in on the cleaning rods and the miscellaneous stuff hung on the pegboards this morning.  Might not have much progress for a while; my Dad passed away last night, will be busy with that for awhile.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 16th, 2024 at 12:46am
Print Post  
A little bit of progress today; took a lot of the glues and miscellaneous off one pegboard and put them in their proper places to clear the board to hold tooling.  Sorted the cleaning rods; think I kept 5.  Need to figure out how to hang them.  One possibility is horizontal near the ceiling, would be a bit clumsy to get the ones near the back, but take minimal space.  Or, hang them vertically.  I really need to devote a couple of feet of wall space to the right of the rough bench, kind of behind the big vise, to a rack for barreled actions in progress.  I could rack the cleaning rods there also.

Sorted the needle files and the punches.  Both of those have been a real irritation in use.  Having to dig through all of them to find what I need; and knocking them over all the time reaching for something else.  Racked them on the wall central to the bench.  Along with a tray to hold oil bottles I'm also constantly using and knocking over.

I still need to do something about the riffler files; they don't rack easily.  Again, need a wide drafting table type flat file drawer just under the bench.  Might just make one.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 16th, 2024 at 8:49am
Print Post  
You are making progress !! Here is my often used file storage. Simple sleeves, stored in one of the slots under the standing bench. Ends marked so I grab the right one. Other slots, left power drills , right large measuring tools squares levels etc. hung underneath 48 inch aluminum rule, often used as a straight edge . Small files chisels  etc kept in rolls stored in boxes and drawers. Protecting edges important.

Storage under the standing bench needs explaining. The bench started out as a radial arm saw bench. Drop center so the table was level with the saw table. 48 years same shop lot of evolution. Started as a joint shop my dad and I We agreed on most things not on the radial arm saw. After his passing I got rid of it.

Shops evolve and the small things pop up as good ideas, less than half are good ones. Clutter builds as time goes by. Fortunately my son has a shop and was able to pass a lot of tools alomg I like big old machinery, small enough for a home shop. Find something pass one it’s replacing  to him.

Shop, jobs change too, I always built my own fishing rods, home made jigs tools rod wrapping lathe etc. Still  fish  less often though, gave it all away keeping  enough to repair my own. Just have to let things go when they get in the way of other work.

Boats 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 16th, 2024 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Last from me today I promise ! I use the ceilings nearly 100 % its free space & easy to set up hangers . Made from whatever is at hand 

Shelf with the pot warp (crab pot) hangers are Jack Leg. Heavy items, loading tools, spare vises etc all used clamped in the main benches vises. Had plans to fabricate rod hangers screwed into the rafters above with turnbuckles to take up the slack it needs substantial.  Narrow shelf with cleaning rods under and the one with wood screw clamps hung that way, they were short drops though  ones wood other hung with short pieces of chain. May still do it 

Boats
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2024 at 9:08am by boats »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 16th, 2024 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Last and Final . Hang fishing rods a different way, ring holders from Teak or Mahogany typical expensive sport fishermen. These same design no fancy woods.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Jan 16th, 2024 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Boats,
Great way to hang fishing poles! My youngest son did exactly the same thing  in his shop a few years ago. Keeps them out of the way and from being tangled up. Don’t know where he got the idea from. I don’t fish so that’s the one problem I don’t have!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 16th, 2024 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I store a lot on rolling Dolly’s. Some from northern tool, cheap. One  government surplus & heavy duty., it was used for mess hall food trays.

High stack of recycle bins city no longer uses loading components. Shotgun mostly 20,16, 12 & 10 gage all for vintage SxS guns. One bottom bin assorted brass rifle cases. Bulky heavy and need to be moved often. My 10 meter air rifle range is in the 4 foot high crawl space behind it. Steel pellet trap target carrier on a track & flood light lit.

Under the loading bench plywood boxes some on dollys very heavy storage. Cast bullets, lead shot, and steel swinger targets.  Guessing loading bench has 500 lbs or so on the shelf another 300 + on dollys under.

Have to admit very little storage shown my ideas. Eyes always open see a good idea sketch or now with phone cameras quick picture. Museums particularly good places to look. Colonial Williamsburg has many working craftsman shops majority have good bench, shelf, hanger ideas. Boat shops and boat yard full of examples. 

Boats

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Magnetic strip for the needle files.

My condolenses on your Dad's passing
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2024 at 1:17am by craigster »  

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Thanks, Craigster,

I thought about magnetic for the files, but what I've found is they have residual magnetism that drives you crazy holding filings.  I own a demagnitizer, that I use to remove magnetism from tooling around filings and machine swarf; otherwise it's a royal pain.  I don't want to have to demagnetize a file every time I want to use it.

Speaking of files, I took some pictures of what I currently do for files; it's in my other shop, and I need to reduce the storage there, and move part of it to this shop.

I currently have 3 drawers in my Kennedy stack devoted to files.  That should be reduced to one drawer to more effectively use the space for other tooling near the lathe and mill.  Some of the rasps will move to this basement bench area once I find or build a drawer for under the bench.  Some of the rasps will move to a woodworking/carpentry bench in the other shop.  

Here's the rasps I'm currently using downstairs, I probably need about 5 to 10 more at the most.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2024 at 11:50am by ssdave »  

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #25 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 10:09am
Print Post  
I wrap my files and rasps before putting them in the drawer.  Many years ago I started making sleeves for them.  It’s just cardboard and tape, but works very well.  When I get a new file, I make a new wrap for it.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Gun bum, I do the same with my files as you do. Additionally, my chisels are kept in cardboard sleeves. Even if I lay either type of tool down for a minute, it won't be on a metal surface. 
disclaimer: I do have some 'junkie' files that I use for hacking on plastic that get gentle, but not protected care- usually cleaned off and put down in an out of the way place.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 18th, 2024 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Just padding the bottom of the drawer with closed cell foam so they don't move around has always seemed pretty adequate to me, and you can see the files and access them quickly.

I just had an idea; rack them on wrench racks.  Tried it, works perfectly.  That reduces the space they take to about 1/2 of what it was, and keeps them in order.  I used this on my wrench drawers a while back, and it really has worked well.  I'll pick up a couple more sets next time I'm on the truck.   

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jan 19th, 2024 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Same here have a box full of junk files, don’t give them drawer space. Do loan junkers when somebody wants to borrow a file, if so put a handle on it first. 

Boats

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jan 21st, 2024 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
I ordered drawer slides to make undercounter drawers, will be a few days before they come and I can do the drawers.  Meanwhile, I gave some thought and effort to the files and rasps.   

I went out and sorted the ones in my Kennedy drawers; picked out 15 or so that are rusty or dulled.  All of them quality files, Simmonds or Nicholson or Heller; will send them to Boggs to be resharpened.  A luxury I've been putting off but meaning to get to.

Most of these files and rasps came to me at estate sales, in toolbox lots, etc.  I get hundreds of them; cheap or damaged or rusty or worn ones go in the scrap iron or I set them aside to sell to a local knife maker, who pays me $1 apiece.  I keep the quality ones in good shape, and have been putting off cleaning them up and having them sharpened.

I put a couple into electrolysis just now to remove the rust and paint and crud, will take them out and take "after" pictures to show the difference.  Will send to Boggs as soon as I have the rust removed from all of them.  Will report back on how they come back, I expect them to be amazingly excellent.

I'm pretty unsophisticated in my use of files and rasps, I just use what seems to work; I picked out an assortment of styles to have sharpened, will try them and keep the ones that seem to work for what I'm doing in the new racks and drawers.  By attrition, I'll get to what is useful at the workbench.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint