Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Remington Rolling Block, 7 X 57 (Read 946 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

Remington Rolling Block, 7 X 57
Feb 9th, 2024 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I have a Remington Rolling Block , mod 1902 I think, in 7 x 57. It has a headspace problem which is normal from what I understand. Years ago, when I was shooting it, I found a work-around by shooting cast bullets that were seated far enough out to lightly engage the rifling and keep the case head tight against the breechblock, thereby fireforming the case to the chamber. 
I havent shot that rifle lately and was thinking that maybe I should correct the headspace problem. I assume this can be done by turning the barrel back one or two turns and re-cutting the chamber. 

I would appreciate the benefit of your collective wisdom as to whether the headspace is something I should be concerned about, what the complications and unintended consequences might be, and other options. Rifle has original wood that has been re-finished, otherwise in good or very good original condition. 

Thanks!
Joe

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington Rolling Block, 7 X 57
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I would bet ssdave will be along on this one and give his expert advice.  But, in the mean time I throw this out.  The barrel is probably ok.  The issue is more than likely either the breech block and or hammer pins.  And then also the hammer may not be fitting under the breech block like it once did and locking the action properly.  The problem could be one or both issues.  I would say the first thing to inspect would be the pins. Once they are good then the lockup between the hammer and bb fixed.  Just setting a barrel back might close the headspace but the cartridge head would not be supported squarely against the bb if these are the issue.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
The 7mm Spanish had a slightly different shape that our current 7x57. What I did when I was shooting mine was to put a wrap of electrical tape around the head of new brass. This was enough to hold the case against the block for the first firing and center it in the chamber so that on firing the bulge that developed in the case would henceforth center the brass in the chamber. After that, I would do neck sizing only (staying away from resetting the shoulder!) and everyone was happy. In spite of its barrel looking well worn and smooth it would shoot lights out with 160 grain Normas. The action, suitably modified by Higginbotham, now sits on a 50-70 hunting rifle.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I would continue fireforming brass to avoid setting the barrel back. I do my brass a bit differently by using the age old trick of expanding necks to 8mm and then running into a 7mm die incrementally until the tiny secondary shoulder just barely allows the breech block to close. I've done maybe 100 cases so far without loss. After that it's partial full length (neck size) only far enough down to encompass the bullet.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
All good advice so far.  What I would do is a combination of things:

1)  I'd determine if the breechblock is square with the chamber.  Chamber an unfired new piece of brass, and using feeler gauges, check the distance from the breechblock to head of case, to see if it varies top to bottom.  You can maybe look through towards a light, and see the gap to compare also.

2)  If it isn't square, then check the hammer and block pins for wear and measure the holes.  They should all be .457".  I've seen very few that were worn enough to matter, but it's possible.

3)  If the pins are tight and it's not square, then you're into some work to square it.  You're best bet then would be to send it to Curt Hardcastle and ask him to make it right.  He'd be a good candidate to fix the pins if they're worn also.

4)  If it's square or pretty close (I'd say <.002" top to bottom of cartridge) then look to fireforming to fix the problem.

5)  Any of the methods of fireforming suggested above would work fine.  After fireforming, only neck size just enough to let the brass chamber.  Index the headstamps on the brass the same each time to account for any teper from fireforming against a not square block.

I think the dimensions of the cartridge were originally slightly different, or they chambered them generously to allow corroded or dirty cartridges to still work.  I don't recall seeing an original that modern ammo fit well.

If you decide to set back and rechamber, no real pittfalls to that, other than usual adjusting fit of wood, refitting extractor, etc. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2024 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Without a case in the chamber I close the breech block and lower the hammer. Then get a set of feeler gauges and while you pull back on the breech block spur slip feeler gauges in from the top to see how far down a feeler gauge goes. Keep trying different sizes until one gets to the bottom, and then go larger until one wont slip into the top edge. 
The difference between the one that's smallest to the largest will tell you about how much your block is out of square to the bore. This can be corrected by milling the block face until the lower edge closest to the pivot point has enough material removed to square it up. But usually that will require setting the barrel back unless the difference top to bottom is very small.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2024 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
If everything in the action is good the chamber can be lined and a new chamber cut. This save the problems of setting the barrel back.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2024 at 10:48am
Print Post  
While you're fixing it I would re-cut the chamber and extractor for 7x57R

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2024 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone for you replies!
I have decided to fire form my brass and live with it
If I decide I am no longer satisfied with that I know what my options are!
Thanks!

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2024 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Well, there you have a simple solution!

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer