Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shop organization, my journey (Read 3131 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Shop organization, my journey
Jan 13th, 2024 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Like most of the US at the moment, it's snowing and below zero.  Should be time for inside work.  But, I'm in a bad situation at the moment.  A week ago, I crushed my foot badly.  Prognosis is 5 more weeks keeping it immobilized.  I can walk, but difficult to stand and balance for any period of time.  And, running lathe or mill or grinding or sanding presents problems of keeping the boot and foot clean.  I may get a work-around for that cobbled together soon, though.

I read some old books/articles as I've been lying down with my foot up.  One of those was articles written by Roy Dunlop I think in the 1960's or early 1970's.  This was after his gunsmithing career was mostly over; he wasn't actively doing full time work.  He described his shop, the tools and equipment.  His power tools consisted of a 2 wheel grinder, a homemade belt sander, a jet brand round column mill, a Craftsman 6" lathe and a slightly larger English lathe with quick change gearbox.  He described his longing for a larger 10 or 12 inch Atlas lathe, but lamented he couldn't afford the space for it.  His tools consisted of screwdrivers, a few chisels, and rasps and files.  For sanding, he used 6 grits of sandpaper wrapped around files.  He switched the grinding wheels off his grinder to use buffing wheels.  He had 2 vises in his shop, a medium sized standard shop type machinist vise and a versa-vise for stock work.  

It gave me a bit of perspective on our relative wealth today in workspaces and equipment.  Plus, an appreciation of the skills of GT, BobW, Frankeore, and many others on this board.

On to the topic of this thread.  And a disclaimer.

I'm going to post a bit about finishing and organizing my shop space.  

IF ANYONE FEELS THAT THIS IS AN INAPPROPRIATE AND BORING TOPIC, PLEASE POST IT HERE AND I'LL DELETE OR ASK THE MODS TO.

Before I put some pictures in the next post, I'll describe overall what I'm doing, and what I'm starting from.

I recently retired, for the past 5 years or so I've been spending my free time outside of work building a new house and shop in anticipation of having it functional after I retire.  It's not quite done, but close.  I have three shop spaces.  

1)  Oversize 3 bay garage - shared rough work shop and vehicle storage
2)  Heated finished shop space for lathe, mill, etc with attic storage above
3)  Small basement shop under an original small 1920's house remnant, that I use for stock work, small work, and reloading. 
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2024 at 11:07pm by ssdave »  

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Shop organization, my journey
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2024 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Being unable to do much else, I looked today at doing some organizational work in the small basement shop.  I had started in on it a couple weeks ago before my injury, and had moved stuff out of the back area that is unfinished with the intention of sheetrocking it and finishing it.  So, at the moment the entire space is a mess, more than usual.   

The space is an l shape roughly 15 x 15 feet.  It has a long hallway outside it, that has floor to ceiling shelf area for storage.   

The space has 3 areas or workbenches to it:

On one wall is a finished workbench that I use for gunsmithing and stock work.  That L's with another wall and has a shorter bench, not quite finished with a vise on it.  An extension of the gunsmithing bench.  Across from the long bench is the second work area which consists of a short bench with reloading press and cabinet with dies above it.  Below all the benches are drawer units, mostly storing reloading bullets and brass.   

The third area is unfinished.  It needs sheetrock on the ceiling and final wiring, and will be used as a jewelers workbench area.  Which also overlaps with some gunsmithing soldering and polishing, of course.   

The objective here is to get to a fully functional workspace, that isn't all horizontal storage, like it is now.  A lot of the stuff that is piled on the workbenches needs to go into cabinets after the sheetrock is finished, or onto the storage shelves in the access hallway.   

Here's some pictures of what I'm starting with in all its ugly disorder.  I'm going to try to clean it up, organize and document it over the next few days.  A lot depends on whether I'm going to be able to do the sheetrock, or will have to wait a couple of months for my injury recovery sentence to be over.   

Here's the unfinished space that will become jewelry shop:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

One weird nuance is the space contains a well.  The groundwater table is shallow, and the old house originally had a well under it.  I opened it up, deepened it, cased and screened it, and have free irrigation water.  But, it takes up about 3' x 5' of my shop space.

Looking over into the main shop.  Another oddity of the space is that it's only 6 foot ceiling.  I'm short, it doesn't bother me.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2024 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
A bit better view of the gunsmithing bench; it's quite functional if it wasn't covered by junk and work in progress.  Some more shelving will help that.

There's boxes of stuff from a cabinet on the floor; I had started moving things to make room for sheetrock before my injury.  This cabinet will be moved out into the access hall storage after the jewelers bench taking up the space is moved.

The reloading bench is functional, if I could get all the horizontal storage put into cabinets instead:

The access hall storage is very good for keeping a lot of fasteners, parts and general storage like bulk brass.

The jewelers bench will eventually be moved into the "to be finished" space, and clear up this wall for more shelving to accept some of the bench clutter.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2024 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Dave,
I enjoy seeing what others are doing, be it organizing their shop, building/refinishing a rifle, or working on some new design... 
Please continue.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2024 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Dave,

I agree with Greg. Please keep posting whatever it may be. I enjoy it all, and this one gives me hope that someday I may be half as organized as you are.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2024 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Dave, sorry to hear about your accident, hope you can get back in the shop soon, doing at least a little.  Shop organization does take time and dedication.  I have mine pretty much how I want it and it probably won’t change anymore, no room for any other tooling.  If I do decide something needs to be in another “better” place, I end up not being able to find it when needed!
Good luck with this organization project, and keep posting pictures of your progress.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Hope your foot heals fast and well! Thanks for posting about your shops. It always interesting to see photos of gunsmiths shops and the stuff on their benches. That would be an interesting thread to start.
Good luck,
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 4:45am
Print Post  
Dave, I crushed my left foot two weeks ago so I know a bit of what you’re dealing with. Mine wasn’t as bad as yours, just some blood and tears.  That appears to be a lot of space, but that low ceiling does eliminate a couple feet of storage. And you have a lot more stuff than me. Keep up the work and updates. Hope you heal fast.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 6:40am
Print Post  
I enjoyed you post very much. Keep them going !

Boats

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Your shop looks awesome! Mine started that way, now I curve thru established goat trails……someday Ill clean it. I think it would surprise us all to see how simple(but cluttered) were the shops of the old-time masters. No amount of gadgets can make up for lack of common sense in the process.

IP Logged

awp101

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Sorry to hear about your foot!  Hopefully you heal faster than anticipated.  I've been down with a broken ankle before and we oftentimes just don't realize how much we take being mobile for granted!

I think this is a great topic, I need all the ideas and motivation I can get because my garage/shop is an absolute wreck.

SBoomer wrote on Jan 14th, 2024 at 6:52am:
Mine started that way, now I curve thru established goat trails……

The Wheels of Justification grind slowly but inexorably

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
I did a bit more on the space today in a couple of short episodes.

I've been using this space for a  couple of years, albeit in an "in progress" and cluttered condition, so have a feel for how it functions.  I'm approaching this as looking at the space, see what functions as intended and what doesn't, and see if I can figure out what is making it not function.

I started in on the "L" side bench, which I haven't been using effectively.  Looking at it, it is dead storage and accumulation primarily.  My original intention for this side was that it would be used for coarser work, such as grinding and filing; thus the big workholding machinist vise.  Looking at it's state today, I see three things:  1) The Dremel and Foredom tools are tangled on it and taking up almost all the room.  2)  It has "in progress" clutter left there, like some network wiring stuff and a bunch of pegboard hooks.  3)  It is being used for project in progress storage.

Looking at the Foredom and Dremel stuff, I noted I had 4 Foredom flex shafts and some extra handpieces.  Probably 2 more than are needed.  One will probably go to the Jewelers bench, and one out to the machine shop.  There's an extra Dremel, also; that could go also.  There's a corded and a battery Dremel, with cases, so that puts them away.  The Foredom's to be useful really neeed to hang.  I use one near the stock working vises on a spring hook hanger. 

I decided to make a hanger to go over the rough area.  Looking in my scrap iron, I found just the piece to bend, hammer, drill and make a hanger bar.

A bracket to hang the handpieces from on the wall should complete the functionality of the flex shafts.  I'll drill a hole in the counter to allow the foot control cords to feed up, and maybe fish in a power outlet in a convenient location to manage the cords better.   

With my foot rested up, I'll do a bit more and then show the next step.

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2024 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
My shop is constantly cluttered.  When I moved to this place, I tried to limit the horizontal bench space to the minimum I thought I needed for projects.  It still is a magnet for clutter.  Every month or two I clear the benches and try to find permanent places for the stuff that likes to migrate to the bench tops.  It’s a never ending struggle.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2024 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Clutter and horizontal storage on workbenches are a sign of either 1) Hoarding 2) Lack of follow through to put things away or 3) Lack of storage.  

I believe I don't have a problem with either hoarding or putting things away, so that means making enough shelf space to put things away.  Other than I've been in a state of turbulence for the past several years, as I built things, unpacked stuff that was stored, and bought multiple estates to acquire specific items.  Some of the disposition of stuff has been delayed until I retire, so the time to deal with that type of clutter and disorder is now.

A couple problem areas here with excess/hoarding are the tubs of chemicals on the floor, and the number of cleaning rods.  Some of the stuff not put away is things like the excess pegboard hooks and the network wiring supplies just left on the bench.  

I put the pegboard hooks in empty holes in the pegboards.  The network supplies were easy; just put them away in storage.  The chemicals took some work.  A lot of these were odd stuff that came to me in estate buys, some I can use, many were excess, some I have no use for.  I took them out to the other shop, laid them out and sorted into tubs and boxes based on their usefulness, where I could use them, and their status as excess.  I ended up with about 1/3 of them to find a space for.  I'll put an ad on facebook and sell the remainder locally as a lot for $15 or $20; will have someone instantly come pick it up.  Stuff like bottles of stock finish, cold blue, gun oil, nitro solvent, etc.  

Tomorrow I'll sort the cleaning rods.  Probably will have 8 or 10 extra.  

I have a decision to make, either now or soon.  I put up a couple of panels of steel pegboard to see how I liked it.  I haven't really used it so far, not really very appealing to use.  I don't like the metal hooks.  But, think I'll give it a fair try for awhile.  

One thing I really need:  A drafting drawer for under the bench, I like to store files flat in a shallow drawer.  I need that here. 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2024 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Here’s a few shots of my shop & some background. It’s in a half basement above ground one end. 26x24. The other 26x24 end 4 foot crawl space used for storage.  Built the house 1975/1975 & shop went in same time. Small gas heater good fans no AC. Shop double door intentionally too small for a car, it’s not a garage larger door might have become one. 6 foot wide utility trailer will squeeze fit allowing heavy tool access 

Lot of work over 49 years. Kept my guns running, whatever was needed loading,  cartridge case work, metal or wood work. Also built several boats and repaired many more.  All my fishing rods built there reel maintenance and refurbishing used too. Penns and Abu’s mostly. Furniture construction and wood lathe work.

Main bench bolted to the foundation post. 10’x2’ 4 vises all iron screws with wood jaws. Fitted with several stops dogs etc. Top Pine Flooring on plywood . Scraped it down few months ago planed dead flat and oiled . This 3rd scrape down.

No storage on the bench top, not allowed, only working projects. Ready tools on pegboard hooks or top shelf. Most tools in job specific  tool boxes, pull out chisels scrapers etc, they are all in one box. Tray behind the bench catch all have 

Have a number of fixtures that clamp on the main bench. Big stuff presses etc on another bench this one runs portables. Upright holder for powder measures. Cartridge neck turner’s, Lyman Tru Line Jr  ( converted to 7/8)

Primary bench most important part of the shop.

Boats 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint