Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Building a Winchester/Winder .22 match rifle (Read 8489 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Building a Winchester/Winder .22 match rifle
Reply #75 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I think for flats a tool like Grand Slam uses, but with a flat surface might actually roll over easier. If you didn't keep those two handles evenly pressured then one side is going to lift, and the flats wont be even.
By keeping the sandpaper and block on a flat surface all the pressure is directly on top center of the barrel, and in a narrow enough area to not tilt the barrel while polishing flats. 
A round barrel don't matter if the two handles are perfectly flat or not. It's just going to follow the round contour and a little cant to it wont matter.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #76 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Marlins guy and SS Dave have the answer for octagon bobs. I don’t think the tool I use for round bbls would be a good choice for the flats. It’s impossible to control that tool with your hands that far apart and any rotation of your hands would be multiplied by the distance your hands are apart. When I’m doing flats I keep the fingers of my hands as close as I can to minimize rocking. I made a tool to hold the bbl for flats work but I can’t find the post that shows it. Anyway here are a few shots as the stock stands. It has a couple of coats of Chambers oil and the bling of the buttplate. I may refine the grip lines a bit. 
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #77 - Mar 18th, 2024 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Grand Slam, indeed,

I used to think of myself as being a pretty good gunsmith, able to hold my own in the flock, but after scrutinizing the progress of this project and seeing the end result, I now relegate myself to bashing rocks and sticks together grade, as I squat grunting unintelligibly near the campfire.   

What an elegantly beautiful bit of workmanship.

Kudos, Sir.

Hayface

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Mar 18th, 2024 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Earlier, during the discussion of checkering, I was undecided, and stayed mum. Now, with the finish upon the beautiful chunk of lumber, I have decided to make my choice in favor of not checkering the butt. The grain, running from side to side is stunning on the end grain and is perfectly framed by the pair of plates at the heel and toe. Even little points serving as arrows to direct the viewer to that feature. I wouldn't change a thing. Another build from the numerous builders here found.  Smiley

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #79 - Mar 18th, 2024 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Amazing work! I don't blame you for not wanting to do checkering on the exsposed part of the buttplate, absolutely stunning grain pattern there.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #80 - Mar 18th, 2024 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Hi guys thank you so much for the kudos. I really don’t know why I can do this quality of work, it kind of comes naturally. My last name is Martel and my father had the same talent. Here’s a snippet of the name “ In modern times, the last name Martel continues to have a variety of connotations. Many may view it as a tribute to the Martel family members who were skilled workers and artisans in the distant past, while some may use the name to indicate they descend from a long line of metalworkers. Generally a strong and proud name, 'Martel' continues to be a common and well-respected surname in these times.” I guess it’s in the blood. 
Thanks for looking and I appreciate your comments 
Cheers Richard Martel

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #81 - Mar 18th, 2024 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Grand slam wrote on Mar 18th, 2024 at 3:51pm:
Hi guys thank you so much for the kudos. I really don’t know why I can do this quality of work, it kind of comes naturally. My last name is Martel and my father had the same talent. Here’s a snippet of the name “ In modern times, the last name Martel continues to have a variety of connotations. Many may view it as a tribute to the Martel family members who were skilled workers and artisans in the distant past, while some may use the name to indicate they descend from a long line of metalworkers. Generally a strong and proud name, 'Martel' continues to be a common and well-respected surname in these times.” I guess it’s in the blood. 
Thanks for looking and I appreciate your comments 
Cheers Richard Martel

You are far and away more talented than a “hammer”!

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #82 - Mar 23rd, 2024 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Thank you Otony! Well except for more coats of oil and a bit of refinement the butt stock is done except checkering. Most of the metal work is done including an DZ arms extractor. I also need to make a few screws too. Our first match is coming up in early April and I’ll be spending the next couple of weeks finding what this .22 likes to shoot. I’ll be competing without the forend as that is the next step on this rifle. I’m going to go “old school” on the method of attaching the forend to the bbl. I’ll use a key or tenon with a tasty inletted escutcheon. So next step is squaring up the forend blank on the table saw then milling the barrel channel close to final dimensions with a 1.00” ball end mill. Stay tooned. Oh! The the scope is a 10x MVA scope with Dan’s (DZ Arms) mounts a winning combination.
Cheers Richard 

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #83 - Mar 23rd, 2024 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Richard, As usual….Very, very, nice work! 
Bib

Robert Warren

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Getting back to using handles like yours, it was/Is my intention to keep the handles as close to the work as possible. If it doesn't work, then I will go back to my old way like marlinguy's, except the use of steel, as I feel the weight helps. Have in the past even thought of using hard lead. May try that also. Regardless, your work is impeccable. There are few who reach that pinnacle.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

bg7m

Reply #85 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 7:35am
Print Post  
this is the finest work i've ever seen, I bet it shoots as good as it looks,

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #86 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Excellent work!!  I hope you document your forearm attachment,  I've always wondered how to do this.

John

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #87 - Apr 9th, 2024 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks again for all the nice words of encouragement! 
Started shooting at 50 yards trying out different Lapua ammo. It looks promising. I need to practice a bit more and also see how much the barrel resting position affects accuracy. The first shoot of the year is coming up in a couple of days so it will be nice to start shooting again. Here are some targets from the new rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint