Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Building a Winchester/Winder .22 match rifle (Read 8484 times)
bg7m

Re: Building a Winchester/Winder .22 match rifle
Reply #60 - Mar 12th, 2024 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Outstanding workmanship!!

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #61 - Mar 13th, 2024 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bg!
Got two coats of sealer on, wet sanding between coats. Sealer is clear urethane 70% urethane 30% turps. This lets me see scratches and other stuff that’s yards to see when it’s just bare wood. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #62 - Mar 13th, 2024 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Gorgeous!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #63 - Mar 14th, 2024 at 8:07am
Print Post  
That’s going to be a masterpiece of craftsmanship!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #64 - Mar 14th, 2024 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
I’ve read this thread with great interest.  The wood working is far beyond my skill level or patience, but I can admire it from afar!
Back to the very beginning… it appears you made the four screw holes, that formerly held the receiver sight in place, disappear.. Did you weld them up or…?  It looks as though they were never there!   

IIRC, the second raffle gun built on a 3rd Model Winder receiver by a coalition of artists for ASSRA a couple of decades ago had its screw holes skillfully welded over and polished before being engraved.  At the time I think they mentioned what this involved, but I can’t remember now.  I’ve seen examples where the filled holes show up as four odd colored dots after bluing due to the mismatched metal.   Sad

Froggie
ASSRA Life #281

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #65 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Thanks for the kind words folks. 
Frogged, thanks. The welding was done by Peter Nagel of Restorative Welding, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).
He did a fine job with no undercuts in the welding. Before sending it off for welding I made four, light press plugs of mild steel, that sat about .050” below the surface of the receiver. I drill the four holes first to remove any vestiges of threads. Regarding the discoloration after bluing. This is caused by differing grain structure at the weld site. The receiver needs to be “pack annealed” prior to bluing to prevent this discoloration. I’m going to case harden the receiver so I don’t have to “pack anneal”, or so I think, but I’m going to talk with Peter to make sure that will work.
Thanks again!
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Richard, 
I’ve talked with several folks that do case harden, bone and charcoal, and everyone of them say the action need to be annealed before case hardening…..if, it is currently case hardened.  If not case hardened, it can be done without the annealing.  I just did a Favorite that was soft and it came out nice without annealing.  Also just did a Remington 1894 shotgun that required annealing and also came out nice.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #67 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Robert, thank you for that info and feel free to post some pics of that Favorite that you mentioned. While the finish on the stock is hardening I’m starting to strike the bbl. I’m starting with 280 grit abrasive cloth, I’m out of the paper wet or dry grit size I need. The tool I made has a piece of pvc pipe split down the middle with a thick piece of leather lining the pvc. The first bbl I used it on turned out super with not a ripple or wave showing. 

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #68 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
And a detail photo of the bbl sanding thingamajig. 

PS the clamp and drew are made from brass and bronze to negate any chance of scratching the bbl
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2024 at 3:52pm by Grand slam »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #69 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Now I'm going to have to build another tool! For years I've just used schedule 40 PVC and put sandpaper inside like your tool, but held the PVC in my hands. I use a piece about 9.5" long so sandpaper fits inside and extends a small amount at each end.
But that handle you use looks like it would make things much easier to hold while hand polishing round barrels!

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Mar 15th, 2024 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
No reason one couldn't make it flat to use on an octagon barrel, possibly with adjustable outriggers to keep it centered. Have one to do soon, so will try it.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #71 - Mar 16th, 2024 at 9:53am
Print Post  
For flats I don't use a tool. I have a piece of 1/2" thick aluminum that is cut to sheet size for sandpaper, and I give it a shot of spray rubber cement and stick a sheet to it. Then I polish the barrel by moving it vs. moving a tool across the plate. It's easy to get the finish mirror smooth, and I find it also easier to not roll the barrel like I might roll a tool. And it lets me change sand paper less often, having the full sheet to work off.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #72 - Mar 16th, 2024 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
I would call your 1/2 inch thick aluminum a tool. It is Grand slam's "handles"that give him more control with his "tool", and believe his handles would give more control with a flat surface as well. If your aluminum plate serves you well, then no need to see if his might work better!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:33am
Print Post  
For round barrels, I use a similar, but very crude tool.  I take a hardwood 1x4, cut a couple of blocks about 8 inches long, and clamp them together.  Then, drill a hole centered on the parting line between the halves just a bit bigger than the barrel diameter.  Then, just hold a piece of wet/dry on one half, and use it just like the more refined tool shown above.

I polish octagons with a hard wood block, used lengthwise along the barrel, so as to minimize rocking from side to side and consequently rounding the flats.  Handles off to the side like the round barrel tool shown cause rounded flats unless you're extremely good at watching the cut and correcting as the tool tips.  You can also polish octagons by gluing a sheet of wet/dry down to a cast iron machine table, and move the whole barrel back and forth lengthwise on the paper.  the weight of the barrel and the long contact length help keep the barrel flat and make for a good, consistent cut.  I also had an unusual and somewhat rare sander that worked well on octagon barrels.  It was a 3" or so drum sander in a table, that took full sheets of sandpaper.  You could set the drum just a few thousands above the table, and pass the barrel lengthwise over it, for a really decent sanding job.  I have since passed that tool on to my son, who uses it as a flat sander for woodworking.  I found I can polish about as fast by hand as with the machine, and I like to see the finish as the wet/dry paper cuts.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Would like to compliment the butt plate installation. It has all the features I try to avoid, concave cuts and tiny points in the wood.
Very nice work.
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint