Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Building a Winchester/Winder .22 match rifle (Read 8492 times)
Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Re: Building a Winchester/Winder .22 match rifle
Reply #30 - Feb 2nd, 2024 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Pecking away...

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Feb 2nd, 2024 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
And a few more...

IP Logged

Chris W

Reply #32 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Thats a pretty piece of wood! Love the look of your Butt work! I'd have to have those two pieces engraved!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I agree that it's a beautiful piece of wood, and it's really being treated to by a tasteful, skilled artist. And, that's why I'd leave the nifty butt plates unadorned by engraving- I wouldn't want the wood or workmanship to be overlooked while looking at the scratches of an engraver. (not to denigrate the engravers out there).

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - Feb 9th, 2024 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Agree...that wood have some depth to it,going to be gorgeous when completed.

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Thanks guys! It’s always nice to get those attaboys. About the engraving I’m thinking of engraving the rifle and the heel and toe plate myself. Other than engraving a few trinkets and my name and caliber on a barrel it will be my first engraving venture…probably screw it up…but that what files are for. Talking about file, I just bought about a dozen new ones from Gesswein. They have flat, hand, half round, rat tail and machinist files by Grobet but instead of from Switzerland they are from the commies in China. At around 5 or six bucks  They cut great in wood, don’t plan on using them on metal. I bought the course cut and fine cut….all are double cut. Talking about files, my buddy Rod England who produces those beautiful Alexander Henry target and sporting rifles called me a few days ago and said he had “great success soaking files in vinegar for about 3 days” sounds great sez I. I’m going to get a pvc tube, cap it and give my well worn trusty friends a spa treatment. For those following my stock design thread I’ll get back to it soon.
Thanks again for all the looks and kind words .
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Soaking files in vinegar works okay for improving the cut, but isn't wonderful.  To work effectively, it's essential that you pick out all the crud from the grooves; plastic and wood and glue buildup in the grooves keeps the vinegar from acting evenly.  All you're really doing is eating away the rolled over edge, and leaving the remaining edge jagged, which cuts better.  

I just sent a bunch of files off to Boggs -  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  to have them abrasive sharpened.  They did a much, much better job than I've had using vinegar.  For the finer files, I didn't notice as much improvement as I did with the coarse rasps and specialty file/rasps.  They charge about $2.50 per file for ordinary metal files, and $6.60 for specialty rasps and files.  Very definitely worth it.  I posted some pictures in my thread on Shop Organization, and the billing for the work.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #37 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Really nice looking stock, and the buttplate treatment is really great!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #38 - Feb 15th, 2024 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Marlin guy, thank you. Dave, I may give Boggstool a try.
A few photos. One of the details in stock building is to make sure the lines that need to be straight are indeed straight. Straight lines emanate from the butt plate to the wrist and  the nose of the comb. I use a straight edge to make sure my filing is proceeding properly. In one photo you can see the straight edge that has a relief cut in it so it clears the cheek piece. I’ll use rasps until I’m within a 1/16 or 3/32 of finished. With that safety margin I’m assured the final finishing with files and sandpaper will clean up any rasp marks. I use metal files of gradually finer cuts after the rasps. To refine the cheek piece shadow line I’ll use the side teeth of a file the opposite side of the file is ground “safe” so I can work up to the finished shadow line without changing its line.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #39 - Feb 17th, 2024 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I did the same project 30 years ago, but not as fancy by a long stretch.  Mine does have a SST, but after 30 years it doesn’t have a speck of finish on it. It has been to a bunch of ASSRA events though.  Roll Eyes
Froggie

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Being a glutton for punishment I decided on skeleton grip cap. Slow going and not much room for mistakes. I was thinking of putting a ebony insert into the grip cap but decided on the traditional route.  Thanks for looking in. 

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #41 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Coming along VERY NICELY Richard!! Thanks for sharing...
Jeff P

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Feb 25th, 2024 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jeff! In the photos below one shows the bushing I made to center the drilled hole in the stock for the grip cap screws.  I also needed the holes so I could use a small hook to remove the grip cap. The other photo is an aluminum tool so I could tap the grip cap   To get a mark on the wood to scrape away to slowly sink the grip cap down. Slow going …ink the grip cap, place it on the stock, tap and scrape…over and over again

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #43 - Feb 29th, 2024 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Finished the grip cap inletting. Made a little to to flatten the base for the grip cap to sit on. I used the flat portion of the pistol grip for  the reference surface.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #44 - Feb 29th, 2024 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
And a few more…the reason I inletted it so far is that extra wood protruding will allow me to follow the shape of the grip cap that will have a domed shape.
Thanks for looking in.
Cheers Richard 
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2024 at 11:45pm by Grand slam »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint