Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Whitney Phoenix RF to CF conversion? (Read 1232 times)
John in PA
Oldtimer

Whitney Phoenix RF to CF conversion?
Nov 12th, 2023 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Detailed procedure, or a referral to a gunsmith offering same, would be much appreciated! ☺️

Originally .38 Extra Long RF. I can easily make cases out of trimmed .357 Maximum, and already have an Accurate Molds heel bullet mold and mouth crimper that I'm using in a .38 Long CF in a dandy No. 1 Rolling Block. Just would like to awaken the long-slumbering Phoenix!

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Re: Whitney Phoenix RF to CF conversion?
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
As an alternative, have you considered converting some .38 brass from centerfire to rimfire? This is one I made for a .38 rimfire rolling block. It takes a .27 cal nail gun blank. This may work in your rifle, it just depends on the position and shape of your firing pin tip.

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Interesting idea! Did you just drill out the center of the a proprietary .38 CF case and then cut a rim recess and notch for the pin, or did you make from solid brass bar stock?
I believe the nose of the firing pin is large enough diameter that if I just modify the contour to flat tip, it will strike adequately.

I assume propellant must be removed from the Ramset/Hilti blank so that just the priming compound remains. What is safest and easiest way to accomplish that task?

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I only dabbled with the 38 rimfire a little, but I've converted a lot of .25, 32, .44 and .50 cal cases from centerfire to rimfire with this method. I use a centerfire case and drill it out for the proper rim recess, just deep enough so the blank's rim is flush with the back of the case. I then mill or file a relief slot for the firing pin.  Here is a photo with the blank removed.  Using a 150gr heel bullet from Old West Bullet Moulds and a brown .27 cal blank with no additional powder gave me 752 fps out of my #2 Remington rolling block.  A nice easy load.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
This is me shooting an original, but refreshed .38 rimfire cartridge.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I can't find dimensions for the nailgun cartridge anywhere. Can you mike the case body and rim diameters for me when you have a chance? 

Also, I noticed that Hilti and Ramset both make .27 cal nailgun blanks and the local Home Depot carries both. Are the colors and loads comparable, as far as you know, i.e. is there an industry standard for interchangeability?

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Here is the body and rim diameters of the .27 cal blank. Yes, the color codes are industry standard, so either should work.

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks a million! 

Good video presentation, too!!

Locally it seems the green (#3 load) is the weakest one readily available in .27. Use it as is in a sound gun, or dump propellant and use as a primer for 3F black?

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Green are a bit hotter and will be more difficult to remove after firing. Emptying them and using a separate charge is good, but they can be difficult to open up. I use compound army surplus wire cutters to snip the crimped nose off.  The easiest thing is to buy some brown blanks off Amazon. These are the ones I bought.

0.27 Caliber Brown Shot Strip Loads, Power Fasteners Actuated Powder Loads (100-Count) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
17/64" drill bit for drilling out the primer pocket?   

Rim relief, .315" (8mm bit) or .316" ("O" bit) ?

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
John in PA wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 1:48pm:
17/64" drill bit for drilling out the primer pocket?  

Rim relief, .315" (8mm bit) or .316" ("O" bit) ?

Yes, 17/64 and letter O.. In a perfect world I like the main hole to be a few thousandths smaller than the blank. That way I get a nice press fit. You may need to squeeze the blank very slightly to make it a little oval shaped, or retain it with loctite. Most of what I shoot use .22 blanks. For those I use a .224" chucking reamer for that nice press fit.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I have a 2 part video series on converting .22 Hornet to .25 Stevens. Part 2 cover the centerfire to rimfire conversion. While this is for a .22 blank, the basic process is the same for .27 cal blank.

Since making this video, I now drill the rim recess on the lathe. The video shows doing it on the drill press.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 7:50am
Print Post  
I have a cheapy Smithy lathe and collet set. Hopefully I've got a collet that will adequately stabilize the .357 Max head for drilling and recessing.  I'll post pics of the process under the reloading thread once I get one of those scarce "round tuits." Wink

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2023 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I have a Phoenix rifle in 40-50 SS. If I had your rifle I would move the firing pin and not do the rim fire stuff. I had a rim fire in the shop a few weeks ago that the firing pin was not hitting the primer enough to set it off and ended up making an off set to the firing pin to get it to work, that's what the customer wanted.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint