Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bore Break-in (Read 1816 times)
Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Bore Break-in
Jun 3rd, 2022 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Received a bore break-in kit and detailed instructions from a known maker.
Appears to be colloidal graphite in an alcohol carrier. Know it is made for jacketed bullets.
Has anyone tried something like this in a new barrel for lead bullets?
Seems like it might help smoothing out the burrs and help prevent leading from starting.
Opinions appreciated.
Chuck

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Bore Break-in
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2022 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Jun 3rd, 2022 at 10:49pm:
Received a bore break-in kit and detailed instructions from a known maker.
Appears to be colloidal graphite in an alcohol carrier. Know it is made for jacketed bullets.
Has anyone tried something like this in a new barrel for lead bullets?
Seems like it might help smoothing out the burrs and help prevent leading from starting.
Opinions appreciated.
Chuck 

Back when NECO introduced to fire lapping kits  I bought one. Mr. Martin recommended the finest grit for breaking in the throat of a cast bullet gun.he  told me to use short for caliber  jacketed bullets so it wouldn't wash out the throat as soft cast tended to bump up and enlarge things. I tried it and it "seemed" to work but I can't say it was a scientific experiment.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2022 at 9:21am
Print Post  
If it contains any abrasives I would probably shy away from it. 
Myself I just start out with a good bullet lube with a goal of getting the barrel well seasoned. To date they have all shot very well right out of the gate for me.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2022 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Jun 4th, 2022 at 9:57am:
Based on my experience as a competition Schuetzen shooter and testing all the barrels for BRC I found many of my best groups produced came within the first 15 to 25 rounds. Arlie Gardner owner of Douglas barrels supplied me with all my competition barrels at no charge. I went through a number of .338" 1-16 barrels and a few .321" 1-16, 1-15 barrels. A competition barrel with known reamer should be quick to produce and stay competitive without doing anything to the chamber. Clay does just a little lapping of BRC rifling. JMHO I do agree with JLouis.
Ken Lewis

I don't have anything to add to this other than to say I asked the same question on another forum years ago and some Wise Donkey (think of the more common name we use for such animals) posted a video of a couple yahoos tossing a rifle accross a field of cobbles.  He thought it was funny.  I thought it was a fairly unimmaginative stab at humor.  Anyway, since then the reponses I have received to this question all seem to say go out and shoot the rifle and let everything else take care of itself.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2022 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
For a few years I've been using Lee Shaver's break-in process.  Here's a link to an article discussing a couple of methods.  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Page down a bit & you find Lee's details.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Piltdownman
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2022 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 4th, 2022 at 9:21am:
If it contains any abrasives I would probably shy away from it. 
Myself I just start out with a good bullet lube with a goal of getting the barrel well seasoned. To date they have all shot very well right out of the gate for me.

IIRC  the NECO fine grit was 1200 grit and very high quality.Not Clover valve grinding compound grit😀

Like you though I do nothing special to a new barrel but shoot it.

If I hear another  millenial use the term "node" or "optimal " at the range I'll scream!!!

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2022 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Button barrels and cut rifle barrels should have any machine mark going in the same direction as the rifling. I have seen some cheap barrels showing reamer marks across the rifling. The chamber reamer will leave marks across the rifling at the throat. I have never done a break-in on a barrel, just start shooting it. On muzzle loading barrel I have noticed that they will shoot better after a hundred shots and they seem to do better after a little rust has formed. The biggest problem I have today is not being able to hold steady and eye sight is getting a bit old.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

1isenough

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2022 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Some thoughts: First, confirm the barrel is button rifled.  Hammer forged barrels have little of no burrs or sharp edges and need no break in.  Second, my understanding is the primary purpose for break in is to smooth the sharp edges and burrs left by button rifling. It is only done with jacketed bullets, and includes a wire brush bore cleaning after a series of 5 shots - 7-10 times.  You should feel reduced resistance to the bore brush as bore imperfections are removed/smoothed.  Third - do not use lead bullets for break in - they are not hard enough to remove/smooth imperfections, and will lead quickly.  Just my thoughts and understanding from experience (mine and others).  Good luck!

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2022 at 10:30am
Print Post  
EDM graphite has a rep for being pretty abrasive. Don't know about the stuff for locks.
I would think that a few loads with very fine abrasive and then shoot as normal would be a sensible approach. IOW  smooth off the major humps: it might shorten the number of rounds for break-in. I don't have much personal knowledge or experience here.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 10:50am
Print Post  
My barrel break in is a little different than what has been put up here. 
First I never put a jacketed bullet down a bore meant for cast bullets NEVER.
My method is to clean the barrel and then put some of my bullet lube on a patch and run it down the bore and work it into the lands and grooves. Then fire 10 shots and clean it just enough until I see cooked lube on the patch. then fire 10 more and repeat for 50 shots. Then fire it like normal.
Cleaning is important again I clean it until my patch just shows lube and stop. I believe that cast bullet barrels have more in common with rimfire barrels than jacketed bullet barrels.
The only time i deviate from that is if I get leading. Then I lightly lap the barrel with a lead lap and some ultra fine diamond paste. then go back to my original routine.

40 Rod

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Jan 15th, 2023 at 5:14pm:
Sad

I just shoot 'em. Not many, anyhow, since most guns I ever owned were pretty old by the time I got hold of em.
I never broke in engines either- lots of them to have done if I thought it'd have helped. Just run 'em.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2023 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
How does one determine whether a bore needs breaking in or not?

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2023 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 16th, 2023 at 9:28pm:
How does one determine whether a bore needs breaking in or not?

good point I have asked that question many times before....

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2023 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Leading? One cause of leading is gas cutting. I had a barrel that was recut and it leaded at the last ten inches at the muzzle. I've had barrels that were installed backwards. Barrels with no detectable taper in the bore. I chambered a barrel once that had a ridge of metal in the throat when I got done. I have a Goodein barrel that still has roughness in it but shoots very well. All those defects I was able to correct but it was not through breaking in. My .32MS didn't shoot a tight group until fifty rounds had been fired through it. I don't know if it got broke in or I happened to run into the right conditions. I think some barrels will shoot more accurate after a careful lapping. 

I fire lapped two barrels, one it had no effect. The other was improved a great deal. 

Seasoning a barrel? My barrels get cleaned with Hoppes after every shooting session so I doubt any seasoning remains after cleaning.
Some barrels can be just plain mysterious. I have a Borchard with a perfect bore. I win BR matches with it at Hamilton but came in last place at Spokane.

Mysterious.  Huh

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2023 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Full disclosure- i have long thought that many barrel break in routines were based on “lucky sock” science ie “i did it this way one time and the gun seemed to shoot good so I keep doing it that way.” 
I have faced the same mysterious issues with barrels myself Joe. At home I swear they shoot sub 1/4moa all day long. Next thing you know I cant hit sh-t with them- im sure through no fault of my own. I think the best thing to do is rechamber, rebarrel or sell the gun when it does that. I do avoid selling the gun though if I can as I hate when it starts shooting well for the new owner.  Sometimes I just hide the gun in the back of the safe until all the evil has drained out of it and it will shoot good again...for a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint