Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gun show find the next day - Stevens model 44 (Read 8085 times)
ndnchf
Oldtimer

Gun show find the next day - Stevens model 44
May 7th, 2023 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I went back the the gun show on sunday to work the VFW table. After yesterday's successful day finding the #2 Remington sporting rifle, I figured I'd go look again at what the seller had.

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) - I bought the
Is Stevens model 44 in .25-25. I'll say right up front that I know nothing about Stevens rifles. I'm a rolling block guy, this is my first Stevens. Knowing nothing about these, I took a chance. It has an excellent bore, combination front sight, ,lyman tang sight, 26" half round barrel and solid wood. It looks to be all original, not messed with except it has been recrowned. SN is 22162. Not knowing anything about these I had no idea of value. But the excellent bore. Half round barrel and sights made it seem above average. So I brought it home for $800. This is my second .25-25 rifle. I love the challenge of getting these old rifles shooting again  Smiley

I'm going to start reading up and learning about it. But would welcome any information my learned collegues here would like to share. 
Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Re: Gun show find the next day - Stevens model 44
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2023 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
I just test fired a primed case - it worked just fine.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2023 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
The two features that keep your Stevens from being a standard 44 (i.e., the basic variation) are the upgraded sights and the loop lever.  The next model up was the No. 45, but it normally had a small Schüetzen buttplate. Moreover, the loop lever was standard only on the even higher grade Nos. 47, 49, and 52, all of which had pistol-grip stocks.  In short, your rifle is a collector's gem, and it would be instructive to see what you find stamped on the receiver face after you remove the forearm.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2023 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
How long is the barrel and what is the diameter at the muzzle?

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2023 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Forearm removed photos. The muzzle measures .783", 26" barrel.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2023 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Its hard, but trying to get photos of the bore. Its not perfect, but very, very nice.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2023 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Not the earliest 44 as they had a sharper internal corner to the receiver. Yours has the later improved receiver with a gentle internal 90 degree corner. 
I've only owned a few Stevens schuetzen models, so can't tell you much more really.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2023 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
What you have is every Stevens fan worse nightmare, or joy. It all depends on your sense of humor.

According to the/some catalog/s, a Model 44 did not allow any substitutes or upgrades, yours has a few. That’s what makes it al fun. Barrel and lower tang should have matching serial numbers. 

The #1 lightweight barrel, loop lever, maybe even sights. In some catalogs the 25-25 was extra,  maybe  only after the 25-21 came out. 

Good thing about Stevens of the time is that most parts are marked with the serial number, last three digits.. Look for pencil on the wood, stamps on the butt plate, ejector. 

Looks a bit rough in the photos, but that cartridge seems a bit tough to find, I’ve been looking for a while. With a good bore and the extras, I would have bought it in a heart beat.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2023 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Yes the external finish does look rough. But the action works smoothly and locks up tight. The excellent bore condition is what sold me. The serial number on the tang match the barrel.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2023 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
I pretty much agree with Dellet, up until the 44 1/2 came out you could certainly order a loop lever as an extra on a 44. I do believe that the barrel weight is actually a number 2, it is not the first time that I’ve seen Stevens mis-stamp the correct weight number on the barrel, I have several. The octagon portion at the breech on a #1 barrel would be about 7/8”, a number 2 would be about 1”.
The sights also add value, but the bore is definitely a plus. Very nice find along with your #2 Remington. Smiley

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2023 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
You guys are a wealth of knowledge 😀  At the breech end the barrel measured .970". A wee bit shy of 1.00". Its a beefy barrel for a .25 cal bore.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2023 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
That's why I asked about the size. It looked like a beefy barrel. My 44/45 25-20SS measures .745 at 26 inches on the 28 inch barrel.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2023 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Had to check one just to make sure, #1 marked barrel .875” at the breech, .765” at the muzzle 26” barrel.

The #2’s I have are all .790”-.795” at the muzzle on a 26”

Welcome to Stevens.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2023 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on May 7th, 2023 at 8:28pm:
Had to check one just to make sure, #1 marked barrel .875” at the breech, .765” at the muzzle 26” barrel.

The #2’s I have are all .790”-.795” at the muzzle on a 26”

Welcome to Stevens.

So it sounds like this is a #2 weight barrel, or pretty close to it.  I only have one .25-25 case. But I'll load it tomorrow and try to get to the range on Wednesday to try it out.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2023 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I think you’ll enjoy it.

I have a 25-21, in theory developed because the 25-25 wasn't efficient as a black powder cartridge.

I’m sure you have a bullet in the 80-90 grain range, they work well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint