Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 being sold as Stevens 44 1/2 (Read 4283 times)
Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Re: Stevens 44 being sold as Stevens 44 1/2
Reply #45 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I have trouble believing anyone would be dumb enough to pay that much for that gun. Gunbroker is infamous for doing nothing about fraudsters and scams. There are a couple sellers I never buy from as im convinced they shell bid against their own listing to drive the price up. If its not fraud going on here then Im like CBA Shooter and need to get some of my crap projects listed fast !

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #46 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Its hard to throw stones at online gunsale dingdongs when even big auction houses that know better misrepresent stuff ie this poor cast frame 3F with a 32-40 barrel.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #47 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Zack T wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 10:55am:
Its hard to throw stones at online gunsale dingdongs when even big auction houses that know better misrepresent stuff ie this poor cast frame 3F with a 32-40 barrel.

Not sure there. Wouldn't be the first forged receiver with a three line address. I would reserve judgement until I could see inside the receiver. Trouble is the only way to find out is to contact the auction company and convince someone to have a look-see, and fat chance of that.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #48 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 11:55am:
Zack T wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 10:55am:

Not sure there. Wouldn't be the first forged receiver with a three line address. I would reserve judgement until I could see inside the receiver. Trouble is the only way to find out is to contact the auction company and convince someone to have a look-see, and fat chance of that.

I would agree with you IF this rifle wasn't a concave top receiver. All concave top receivers are cast #3 actions. Flat top receivers with a 3 line address could possibly be a forged, but not a concave top.
I own two forged 3 line address Ballard rifles. One is an engraved 6 1/2 Rigby, and the other a #4 Perfection.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #49 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Ah, but Vall you forget our private conversation a while back where I showed you my forged action with concave top receiver. Smiley

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #50 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Hi also own a three line address 32-40 with all numbers matching but mine is a cast receiver which everyone knows doesnt exist. So yeah that concave top ballard could be originally a 32-40. I still think odds are against it. That dovetail in the receiver is a nice touch. Ouch

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #51 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 2:34pm:
Ah, but Vall you forget our private conversation a while back where I showed you my forged action with concave top receiver. Smiley

Yes, I do forget it still. My old memory doesn't work as well as it used to.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #52 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Zack T wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 2:49pm:
Hi also own a three line address 32-40 with all numbers matching but mine is a cast receiver which everyone knows doesnt exist. So yeah that concave top ballard could be originally a 32-40. I still think odds are against it. That dovetail in the receiver is a nice touch. Ouch

Being concave top it's already a bit weaker than the early flat top #3. Take away a little more metal with the dovetail, and it's amazing it even holds up to BP loads if it's cast. 
And sad that somebody did this to what was likely a pretty nice #3F pistol grip receiver too. I'd love to see the internals to see if it has the void of a cast receiver!

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #53 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I agree with Val. Too bad as those 3Fs are nice little guns. If it was cheap Id get it and turn it back to .22 but its already more than id spend at open

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #54 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Zack T wrote on Nov 3rd, 2022 at 6:01pm:
I agree with Val. Too bad as those 3Fs are nice little guns. If it was cheap Id get it and turn it back to .22 but its already more than id spend at open

How true. But, with inflation spiraling the way it is, it won't take long for the money spent on it now to become a bargain in the near future. I guess.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint