Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Wickliffe Rifle (Read 2535 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

The Wickliffe Rifle
Jul 25th, 2022 at 10:24am
Print Post  
An interesting single shot rifle design I was not aware of.  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Interesting story concerning the Triple S Development Co Model 76 Falling Block (Wickliffe Rifle)

Wayne
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2022 at 10:36am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Re: The Wickliffe Rifle
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2022 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Great story about Elmer Keith. Back in 1977 I believe, there was an article about the Wickliffe rifle in the “Gun Digest” that was pretty good.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2022 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Here's a gorgeous one in .338 Win. Mag.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2022 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I bought the one that was for sale here for $1900, shipped and insured.  It was a 45-120, and came with about a hundred cases and dies.
It is going to JES next month to be bored and rifles to the 50-140 3 1/4" cartridge.

Rich

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2022 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Tom Ondrus bought out the remaining parts from Wickliffe several years ago.  He was selling them as parts sets for quite a while.  He had one that he had put 1/4" plates on the side to strengthen it up and then barreled it for 600 Nitro Express.  It was a real monster.  I think he disposed of all the parts before he died a few years ago.  I ended up picking up two of them and assembling them into guns.  They are certainly a very strong action.  Mine are in 45-70 and 425 Westley Richards.   
Bruce

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2022 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
ISS wrote on Jul 25th, 2022 at 8:06pm:
I bought the one that was for sale here for $1900, shipped and insured.  It was a 45-120, and came with about a hundred cases and dies.
It is going to JES next month to be bored and rifles to the 50-140 3 1/4" cartridge.
Rich

Dang Rich,

You're a better man than me.  I can handle a .45-90 using black powder but I'll stick with my .40-65 & .45-70.

Wayne

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2022 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I don’t know how deep our electronic archives go here, but there were several threads about these rifles, both pro and con, posted here several years ago.  Texasmac, I’m surprised you didn’t see them.

Froggie

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2022 at 3:41am
Print Post  
mac,

I probably won't shoot any BPCR matches with it.

My older brother ordered a Shiloh LRE in 50-90 about 25 years ago.  Just because...

I have bugged him, since he quit driving out to Quigley every year awhile back, to sell or trade it to me.  No luck!  I have tried, with zero success, to buy one ever since.  I bought one of the Wickliffe actions when they first came out, even got my nickname "KYZ-X" for a serial number.  I had it built by a local gunsmith (Boise) named Dick Hart.  He stamped most of his builds with a "heart".  It was a 45-120, like this one.  I wonder if it is the same rifle, since it has the "heart-shaped" stamp on a barrel flat, and is SN: KYZ-X.  Who knows.

When I had my second Agent Orange Endoma (VA does not like the word "cancer") surgery; the VA told me I might not live very much longer.  Like a year, two at most.  I had wanted to hunt Cape Buffalo since I was nine years old.  I decided then, when they retired me on medical disability, that I was going to fulfill that dream.  I sold my Schuetzen rifles, and some others, and went to Zimbabwe to hunt one.  I was a mess, I lost over 20 pounds in 11 days over there.  I got my Buff, and survived a large Cholera epidemic.  My nephew picked me up at the airport and got me to the VA hospital ER.  I could have charitably been described as a mess.  I was about half covered with Buffalo Ticks, and running a 103/104-degree fever.
A wonderful Christmas Eve...

The good news, the ER Dr on duty that night had been in the Peace Corps and served in Africa two years.  He diagnosed me correctly, and shot me up with about eight or nine flavors of antibiotics and other drugs.  Killed the ticks in about 12 hours, cured the Cholera, and I recovered (mostly) in a couple weeks.
Several months later, they figured out they had misdiagnosed me.  I was so overjoyed that I was not going to die in late 2008, I forgave the VA.  I did get a different Primary Care Provider, however.

I have had five additional Endoma surgeries since, last one January 31st this year.

Yes, some of you are a bit unhappy with me over buying about a dozen nice single shot target rifles this year.  I make no apologies for that.  My wife and I donated about 1/3rd of the estate to Church and Charity, bought her a new SUV, and spent   lot of the rest on rifles.  I do not own them, I am merely the latest custodian.

Now, you know, as Paul Harvey used to say; "The rest of the story...".

take care,

Rich

Smiley

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2022 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
ISS  Possibly no one knows, but since 1968 all firearms must have a unique serial number, which means that in all probability, the rifles are one and the same. I, for one, am glad for your mis-diagnosis, and hope your January 31st surgery was the last you will need. And good luck at Raton.    Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 3:33am
Print Post  
My back ruled that out for 2022 at least.
The good news: I have until next summer to get ready for Quigley.
In September we go to the Ranger Company reunion at Niagara Fall.  I am going to skip the drive and fly this year.

As long as God, and my wife love me, the rest is small stuff.

Sua Sponte

Rich

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Missed out on one years ago when I was in the market for my first hunting rifle purchase. Local gun shop had a used one in 25-06. Very nice rifle but I didn't know a thing about them. This was in the early 1980's. Shop was asking $275. I opted out for a new Ruger #1 in 30-06 simply because my dad reloaded for it. That one cost $312. I traded a model 1884 trapdoor cadet rifle towards it. Wish I had bought the Wickliffe. Oh well, woulda, shoulda, coulda... youth is wasted on the young!
There was one that came up on a local internet trade board two years ago. A 30-06 I think, but I didn't have the $800 on hand to buy it.   

John

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2022 at 1:03am
Print Post  
I would buy a Wickliffe action, or complete rifle if it were something I could use; at a reasonable price.

Rich

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2022 at 10:05am
Print Post  
My opinion has always been much like yours Dave. I think these appear to look like a pregnant High Wall that needs to be put on a diet. I wouldn't consider one myself just because the action aesthetics just don't appeal to me over a High Wall action. They likely are much stronger, but a High Wall is plenty strong enough for anything I'd want to shoot in it.

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2022 at 2:21am
Print Post  
A couple things, if I may...

1.  I found one, a factory 22-250, that has had a 32-40 barrel fitted.  It needs a forend.  I bought it for under a thousand dollars with both barrels and a forend for the 22-250.  They are a bit "clunky", but a decent trigger is attainable by a good gun smith.

2.  Marlinguy, would you care to shoot a HW chambered in .500 3" Nitro Express?  500gr bullet at 2200fps.  By the way, I still 
    own and shoot a 550 Gibbs wildcat I designed.  700gr bullet
    at 2650fps from a 12 lb rifle.  This 50-140 can be throttled 
    down to 1400fps if I wish, or up to 2200fps with J-word 
    bullets.

Enough for now, time to hit the rack.

Rich

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
ISS wrote on Sep 9th, 2022 at 2:21am:
A couple things, if I may...

2.  Marlinguy, would you care to shoot a HW chambered in .500 3" Nitro Express?  500gr bullet at 2200fps.  By the way, I still 
    own and shoot a 550 Gibbs wildcat I designed.  700gr bullet
    at 2650fps from a 12 lb rifle.  This 50-140 can be throttled 
    down to 1400fps if I wish, or up to 2200fps with J-word 
    bullets.

Enough for now, time to hit the rack.

Rich

Smiley Smiley Smiley

I wouldn't want to shoot any of the cartridges you listed. But if I was going to shoot one it will be drastically reduced charges. I'm no fan of recoil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint