Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Marlin Ballard action (Read 5840 times)
Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Marlin Ballard action
Reply #45 - Nov 28th, 2022 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
"Wonder how many factory built Stevens 44's in .38-55 and .32-40 are still out there being shot and still working well? Yet most people wont chamber the 44 in either of those cartridges, yet they'd own and shoot an original"

I have a lugged hammer 38-55 model 44 I shoot but am careful.Also a Stevens Pope lugged 32-40 im also careful with.I use 4227 in both and breech seat.

IP Logged

jgraham1
Participating Member

Reply #46 - Dec 2nd, 2022 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
The cast action is definitely not strong enough for these rounds.  They tend to start cracking at the rear of the block cut in the action.

Jerry

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #47 - Dec 2nd, 2022 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
To restate Jerry/jgraham1's point, weaker actions can be shot safely by careful owners like Chashooter, but not by everybody, most especially those who think they know better.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Dec 2nd, 2022 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
jgraham1 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2022 at 2:15pm:
The cast action is definitely not strong enough for these rounds.  They tend to start cracking at the rear of the block cut in the action.

Jerry

By which you mean cast Ballards, I assume.  Model 44s 1986 and later don't crack, instead the link gives up from the battering so the headspace increases drastically.

Might be possible to stretch a 44 that has the lugged hammer with an ongoing diet of heavy loads, but I have no examples to point to.  

<div class=

IP Logged

jgraham1
Participating Member

Reply #49 - Dec 3rd, 2022 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2022 at 5:59pm:
jgraham1 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2022 at 2:15pm:

Jerry

By which you mean cast Ballards, I assume.  Model 44s 1986 and later don't crack, instead the link gives up from the battering so the headspace increases drastically.

Might be possible to stretch a 44 that has the lugged hammer with an ongoing diet of heavy loads, but I have no examples to point to.  

Talking about the Ballard actions that were cast.

Jerry

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Dec 3rd, 2022 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Trying to defeat my insomnia last night, I had my father's college text book (circa 1925) on the malleable iron process open.  A bit daunting how many factors have to be right to get good malleable parts, beginning with the chemistry of the iron, how it is melted and for how long, the speed with which it cools in the mould, the temperature at which the casting is broken out of the mould, how completely the moulding sand is cleaned out before packing for the annealing process, und-und-und.  By 1925 most of this was pretty well understood, but in 1885 it was all art and rule of thumb. Evaluating the chemistry of molten iron didn't become a science until about 1900, and temperature control using instruments rather the Mark 1 eyeball was still not widely used until WW1, as collectors of Krags and  '03 Springfields know only too well.   

So Marlin has to be forgiven if the consistency of his cast frames was a little spotty. Even today there isn't any practical way to test a frame for proper molecular structure once it's annealed, short maybe of X-ray diffraction techniques.  We just have to presume that any frame we pick up may not be of optimum strength, and act accordingly.

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #51 - Dec 4th, 2022 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Dec 3rd, 2022 at 3:33pm:

So Marlin has to be forgiven if the consistency of his cast frames was a little spotty. Even today there isn't any practical way to test a frame for proper molecular structure once it's annealed, short maybe of X-ray diffraction techniques.  We just have to presume that any frame we pick up may not be of optimum strength, and act accordingly.

I'd say John Marlin should be commended for the consistency of his cast frames, not forgiven for any inconsistencies. Since the vast majority will never fail when they've seen over a century of shooting in the cartridges they were originally designed for. That includes the Ballard rifles chambered in .44-40, .44 Long, and .32-20 that have held up all these years.
I find it admirable that the workmen at Marlin could look at a furnace and tell by sight when it was at the correct temp to pour. And know from experience what metals to toss in the furnace to somehow get the right alloy they needed for those old actions. 
Amazing!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Dec 4th, 2022 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
yes val  and all done with no computers  just  true skill   art

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Dec 4th, 2022 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
The greatest skill would be knowing how to judge when to scrap a frame, or a whole heat, if things weren't right.  By the time a batch of frames came out of the annealing furnace there would be a pretty considerable investment in fuel alone, since a batch had to be held at red heat for hours on end.  Would take some intestinal fortitude to throw that away.  

And never mind computers - they didn't even have a chemistry set.    

It occurs to me to ask:  Is there source material that would tell us whether Marlin was big enough to have his own foundry in the 1880s? Could he have been buying castings from someone else? Maybe also having them annealed by an outside party?   

Ditto forgings.  Were the rest of his products based on forgings or castings? 

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #54 - Dec 5th, 2022 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Not a doubt in my mind that Marlin and all major manufacturers had their own foundry. Smaller or start up makers may have used other large makers to source their castings, but not Marlin.
I have a DVD remake of an old B&W silent movie done in the 1920's of the Marlin factory processes from initial casting, to forging, stock making, etc., etc. From the ancient appearance of the inside the factory, and equipment in the 20's, I'm certain it's not post 1900 furnaces, forging equipment, etc.
The Marlin Firearms Collectors Assn. sells these DVD's they made up off the original silent movie, and they're really neat for people who like old guns, and want to see the process.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint