Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Marlin Ballard action (Read 5846 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Marlin Ballard action
Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2022 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Ballard never got away from those sharp, stress-raising interior corners. 

The early years of the Savage 99 had the same problem, as did the Stevens 44 series.  Both benefited from design revisions which eliminate the stress-raiser, but they come a lot later on the timeline.

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Oct 25th, 2022 at 11:14am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Oct 24th, 2022 at 8:11pm:
Ballard never got away from those sharp, stress-raising interior corners. 

The early years of the Savage 99 had the same problem, as did the Stevens 44 series.  Both benefited from design revisions which eliminate the stress-raiser, but they come a lot later on the timeline. 

Even those built later by Red River, and Ballard Rifle Co. didn't change the design to eliminate the problem. But I really don't think it's an issue unless things go sideways when someone overloads the Ballard, or rebarrels it to a modern cartridge, or too big a cartridge.
The design has held up well for over 130 years, with the only failures being attributed to mistakes by owners, or gun tinkerers.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Agreed.  It's a sterling example of human cleverness constrained by available technology.  When Ballard invented it most guns were still being made out of what was essentially forged wrought iron.  The idea of annealing a casting to make malleable iron was only a generation or so old. (Have you noticed that it's in his original patent?)  Steel for springs was a boutique commodity.  The chemists weren't to begin contributing to iron and steelmaking until about 1900. Nobody had any conception of pressures more than black powder could generate, and that was still true when Marlin finally discontinued it.   Far be it from me to criticize, I was only analyzing.

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #18 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Prior to Marlin taking over production of the Ballard rifles, none of the previous makers offered the Ballard in a forged steel receiver. Of course all the previous makers only offered pretty anemic cartridges, and the majority were rimfire cartridges also.
John Marlin's success with the Ballard rifles was partially due to the forged actions, which allowed Marlin to expand the cartridge selection, and the models he offered. That and things like his automatic extractor and other small changes also made the Marlin Ballard a big success, and insured he didn't go bankrupt making Ballard rifles like all the predecessors had done.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Speaking of those pre-Marlin Ballards

I hate people who break up guns, but there might be something useful there.

<div class=

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #20 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
In my opinion, the extractor components alone are well worth the starting price.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I avoid all the pre Marlin Ballard rifles, simply because of their RF and percussion chamberings. I've owned a few that were extremely nice guns, but sold them.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #22 - Nov 21st, 2022 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Vall,
I have a question and a comment.  First the question: How do you feel about 25-20 SS in a cast action?  I ask this because I recently saw a Stevens rebarreled cast action in this caliber.  I’ve seen a low wall in 25-20 SS that had “stretched” over time.  Would it be safe in cast, in your opinion?
As for the comment, a real cottage industry has been developing among the North-South Skirmish gang fitting a CF conversion into the space for the percussion nipple on early Ballards and shooting them with 44 Spl or even 45 Colt (IIRC) loads of black powder. 
Your ‘Phibian Phriend

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Nov 21st, 2022 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
The most common chambering in the Stevens 44, a malleable iron casting like the Ballard, was .22 Long Rifle.  A not too distant second was the .25-20.  I'd find it hard to believe that the .25-20 Stevens could stretch a Low Wall, unless someone was drastically overloading.  The .25-20 WCF, which pushes close to 30,000 psi in some factory loads would do it, however.   

There wouldn't be any risk in a cast Ballard chambered for the 25-20 Stevens.  None at all.

<div class=

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #24 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 10:23am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Nov 21st, 2022 at 5:19pm:
The most common chambering in the Stevens 44, a malleable iron casting like the Ballard, was .22 Long Rifle.  A not too distant second was the .25-20.  I'd find it hard to believe that the .25-20 Stevens could stretch a Low Wall, unless someone was drastically overloading.  The .25-20 WCF, which pushes close to 30,000 psi in some factory loads would do it, however.  

There wouldn't be any risk in a cast Ballard chambered for the 25-20 Stevens.  None at all. 

About a quarter century ago (which explains my spotty memory) a friend and I bought what seemed to be original and complete flat side low wall in what was marked, and I assumed chambered, as 25-20 SS.  We got it for parts and he got the barrel, so I can’t check it for sure, but the breech block was loose front-to-rear in the receiver.  The only other such “stretched” low wall I’ve observed (original chambering only) was also purported to have been chambered at the factory in 25-20 SS.  I have no such experience with 25-20 WCF low walls, but I must admit, my sample size of both in sum amounts to only a dozen or so.  I have not experienced frame stretch in any 25-20 WCF low walls.

I’m curious as to whether the cast Marlin Ballard action would be OK for Target power (ie factory equivalent or less) smokeless loads of 25-20 SS.  I have no idea or way of determining what kind of reloads people have used in the past nor can I predict what an overenthusiastic shooter of the future might stuff into the cartridge.

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Nov 21st, 2022 at 2:38pm:
Vall,
I have a question and a comment.  First the question: How do you feel about 25-20 SS in a cast action?  I ask this because I recently saw a Stevens rebarreled cast action in this caliber.  I’ve seen a low wall in 25-20 SS that had “stretched” over time.  Would it be safe in cast, in your opinion?
As for the comment, a real cottage industry has been developing among the North-South Skirmish gang fitting a CF conversion into the space for the percussion nipple on early Ballards and shooting them with 44 Spl or even 45 Colt (IIRC) loads of black powder. 
Your ‘Phibian Phriend

Although I wouldn't do so, I think it's probably not an issue. First because nobody is going to load any factory hotter rounds in it, and 2nd because anyone loading for the .25-20SS is not loading hot ammo either.
I was told that Marlin chambered a very few #3 cast Ballard rifles in .22WCF, and of course there are some #2 cast in .32-20 also; I own two of them in .32-20. So if the person who owned a .25-20SS keeps loads at normal velocities I doubt they'd be any problems.
The N-S skirmishers have been using Civil War era Ballards converted for many decades, but I doubt most ever got fired with bullets. They seem to exclusively shoot blanks, and often use .44 Special cases to make up their BP blanks. So really not the same problem of actually shooting lead in them.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 11:28am
Print Post  
The WCF case being larger in diameter at the base, bolt thrust given equal pressure turns out to be about 30% greater than the Stevens.  If a cast Ballard will stand the .32-20, which uses the same basic case, it will easily stand the .25-20 Stevens.   

That said, the current practice of loading 120 grain bullets may be running the pressure higher - if somebody would let me know what muzzle velocity these are being launched at I can approximate the pressure and hence the bolt thrust.   

<div class=

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #27 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 11:28am:
The WCF case being larger in diameter at the base, bolt thrust given equal pressure turns out to be about 30% greater than the Stevens.  If a cast Ballard will stand the .32-20, which uses the same basic case, it will easily stand the .25-20 Stevens.  

That said, the current practice of loading 120 grain bullets may be running the pressure higher - if somebody would let me know what muzzle velocity these are being launched at I can approximate the pressure and hence the bolt thrust. 

My 120 gr. Mos bullet breech seated has a muzzle velocity of 1660 fps using a 25-20 WCF case.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2022 at 12:44pm by JerryH »  

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #28 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
My .32-20 with a 115 gr. bullet exit the barrel at @1300 fps. Mild load that I shoot in my #2 Roller, and both Ballard #2's.
This is 14,000 psi, 376 ft. lbs. projectile energy, 490 psi muzzle energy, and 1 ft. lb. of recoil.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Jerry's load works out to something like 19500 psi and about 1340 lbf  breech thrust from a Stevens case, which is more than my horseback guess at the thrust from a blackpowder .32-20 by about 100 lbf.

Vall, yours is more like 960 lbf breech thrust.   

Both models assumed breech seat and 4227 powder.  A slower powder would yield slightly lower numbers.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint