Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Marlin Ballard action (Read 5852 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Marlin Ballard action
Reply #30 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I have a cast Ballard rifle in 25-20 SS. Been shooting it for over twenty years. Not blown up, cracked or fallen apart yet.   Huh

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #31 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 3:33pm:
I have a cast Ballard rifle in 25-20 SS. Been shooting it for over twenty years. Not blown up, cracked or fallen apart yet.   Huh

Joe I have a cast #2 chambered in .32-40, and re-rifled to open it to .318" groove. I also have shot it a bunch, and am not afraid of it with my loads.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #32 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 2:32am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 8:22pm:
westerner wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 3:33pm:

Joe I have a cast #2 chambered in .32-40, and re-rifled to open it to .318" groove. I also have shot it a bunch, and am not afraid of it with my loads.

I too had a cast action Ballard 32-40. One day at a match using duplex loads it cracked down the side and the lever wouldn't stay up. It was plated. Under the plate was a well hidden hole filled with braze. Two actually, where a receiver sight had been mounted. 
I also shot a lowall in 32-40 that held up very well for many years with low power loads as Dave suggests..

Life has risks. If we're well read and smart we can avoid disaster.  And then there are always the others....

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 7:16am
Print Post  
why waste time and money on something that is marginal?jmo  art

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #34 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 10:02am
Print Post  
I once owned one of Claude Rodericks cast action Ballard in 40-50 SS.  Van Horne barrel and Beveridge (sic) 335 gr. truncated nose tapered projectile.  I loaded 19.6 gr. of IMR 4759 and it was a 200 yd tack driver.  I fired thousands of rounds but, hearing horror stories about cast actions blowing up, decided to sell it.  I advertised it as a cast action and the new owner was apprised of that fact prior to purchase.  Ron Long found out I was shooting this rifle and laid into me about it! LOL  That was all I needed to stay away from cast for smokeless large caliber.

John Rigby

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #35 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Smokeless or BP depends on which smokeless powder you use. Some smokeless powders have lower operating pressures than BP has, and have pressure curves more gentle like BP has. So to say all smokeless powders are bad really isn't accurate.
I also know a guy who has a cast Ballard barreled to .40-65 Win. which really freaks me out! He's shot nothing but BP loads over 20 years, and I keep waiting to hear it's finally given up and cracked, but so far it's holding. This isn't saying it wont eventually, and when it does it wont gradually give warning signs before it happens.
What I'd own and shoot is my personal choice, and it's often different than what I'd choose to build up. What I might buy and shoot isn't always what I'd build to shoot.
Wonder how many factory built Stevens 44's in .38-55 and .32-40 are still out there being shot and still working well? Yet most people wont chamber the 44 in either of those cartridges, yet they'd own and shoot an original.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 10:50am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 23rd, 2022 at 10:13am:
Smokeless or BP depends on which smokeless powder you use. Some smokeless powders have lower operating pressures than BP has, and have pressure curves more gentle like BP has. So to say all smokeless powders are bad really isn't accurate.  Very, very true. Some folks think that a 1200 fps load of Red Dot or Bullseye is a light load, when in fact it generates a much higher peak pressure than a 1200 fps load of, say, 4100 or RL-7.

Wonder how many factory built Stevens 44's in .38-55 and .32-40 are still out there being shot and still working well? Yet most people wont chamber the 44 in either of those cartridges, yet they'd own and shoot an original.  Probably not many, but the failure mode of the 44 is that the link gets battered so badly that the headspace opens up, and they don't get used anymore.

I've told the story before of my firing an 80,000 psi double charge in a 25-20 Stevens 44, when nothing happened except that the primer fell out and I had to drive the case out with a cleaning rod.  The idea that they are only safe for .22s is a myth.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2022 at 11:01am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #37 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 11:28am
Print Post  
uscra112,

When I posted the muzzle velocity of my 120 gr. Mos bullet breech seated at 1660 fps I neglected to add that I was using 9.6 gr of AA4100 powder. I wonder if that makes a difference in the pressure and thrust? Also, what would it be using my 25-20 WCF case?

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #38 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Nov 23rd, 2022 at 7:16am:
why waste time and money on something that is marginal?jmo  art

Because I won a lot of matches with it, until it broke. It was extremely accurate.
The Ballard would have been marginal had I been shooting it in action strength contests. 

Art, I quoted your question. The question mark gave your opinion away. Don't try to get slick on here mister. We have your number.   Wink

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
JerryH wrote on Nov 23rd, 2022 at 11:28am:
uscra112,

When I posted the muzzle velocity of my 120 gr. Mos bullet breech seated at 1660 fps I neglected to add that I was using 9.6 gr of AA4100 powder. I wonder if that makes a difference in the pressure and thrust? Also, what would it be using my 25-20 WCF case?

Thinking about it strictly as an engineer, muzzle velocity can be said to depend solely upon a concept called specific impulse, which in this case would be the integral under the pressure/time curve from moment of ignition to the exit of the bullet from the barrel.  A fast powder, to deliver a given MV, has to create a high initial pressure because the curve will tail off more rapidly than, say, 4100, which maintains pressure for longer, so it doesn't have to start with such a high pressure.  I wish Quickload would calculate this parameter, but it doesn't.  You can only infer from eyeballing the pressure/time graphs it prints.   

The role that case shape and volume play constrain the amount of powder and the efficiency with which it burns. The two .25-20s are very close in case volume, so you can compare them. According to the QL database, the Stevens case has a bit greater volume than the WCF (who knew?), so to get the same specific impulse you have to increase the 4100 charge by 0.2 grains. Peak pressure almost exactly the same, as it ought to be.

Now try for the same MV with AA#9, which is only a little faster. The charge has to drop to 8.9 grains, I think because #9 liberates a bit more heat per grain, and peak pressure goes up by ~3000 psi. 

Case shape is known to influence burn consistency, alll other things being equal, which may help explain your success with the WCF case, in spite of its' slightly smaller volume.  A factor that the QL model doesn't take into account, as far as I can see.  

There's a lot more you can learn by playing around with QL models, but I'm out of my depth when trying to explain it all. 
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2022 at 2:59pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #40 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2022 at 2:51pm:
JerryH wrote on Nov 23rd, 2022 at 11:28am:
uscra112,

Thinking about it strictly as an engineer, muzzle velocity can be said to depend solely upon a concept called specific impulse, which in this case would be the integral under the pressure/time curve from moment of ignition to the exit of the bullet from the barrel.  A fast powder, to deliver a given MV, has to create a high initial pressure because the curve will tail off more rapidly than, say, 4100, which maintains pressure for longer, so it doesn't have to start with such a high pressure.  I wish Quickload would calculate this parameter, but it doesn't.  You can only infer from eyeballing the pressure/time graphs it prints.   

The role that case shape and volume play constrain the amount of powder and the efficiency with which it burns. The two .25-20s are very close in case volume, so you can compare them. According to the QL database, the Stevens case has a bit greater volume than the WCF (who knew?), so to get the same specific impulse you have to increase the 4100 charge by 0.2 grains. Peak pressure almost exactly the same, as it ought to be.

Now try for the same MV with AA#9, which is only a little faster. The charge has to drop to 8.9 grains, I think because #9 liberates a bit more heat per grain, and peak pressure goes up by ~3000 psi. 

Case shape is known to influence burn consistency, alll other things being equal, which may help explain your success with the WCF case, in spite of its' slightly smaller volume.  A factor that the QL model doesn't take into account, as far as I can see.  

There's a lot more you can learn by playing around with QL models, but I'm out of my depth when trying to explain it all. 

Thank you very much for the explanation and information. It is very much appreciated. 

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #41 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Most reloaders would benefit from a ballistic loading program that not only gives velocity and chamber pressure, but just as important the pressure curve, which shows us how a smokeless powder arrives at a certain pressure level.
I never used one of these programs because I told myself I used mild smokeless loads, and have been reloading for well over 4 decades. But a friend pointed me towards a free ballistic program, and I figured nothing to lose when it's free.
Being able to enter all the data on my guns, powder charge, bullet weight, etc., and get velocity, chamber pressure, recoil, and see a graph of how the load reaches max pressure is a great tool! I found out that some of my favorite powders weren't high pressure, but had quite a spike getting to whatever pressure. So the pressure spike was more like a sledge hammer, than a heavy push to reach maximum.
I now run all my old data through the program, and although I haven't changed my loads, since they're within safe limits, I have used more of the powders I was already using that showed low pressures, and gentle ramps up to the pressure.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #42 - Nov 24th, 2022 at 9:13am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 11:17am:
Green_Frog wrote on Nov 21st, 2022 at 2:38pm:
Vall,
I have a question and a comment.  First the question: How do you feel about 25-20 SS in a cast action?  I ask this because I recently saw a Stevens rebarreled cast action in this caliber.  I’ve seen a low wall in 25-20 SS that had “stretched” over time.  Would it be safe in cast, in your opinion?
As for the comment, a real cottage industry has been developing among the North-South Skirmish gang fitting a CF conversion into the space for the percussion nipple on early Ballards and shooting them with 44 Spl or even 45 Colt (IIRC) loads of black powder. 
Your ‘Phibian Phriend

Although I wouldn't do so, I think it's probably not an issue. First because nobody is going to load any factory hotter rounds in it, and 2nd because anyone loading for the .25-20SS is not loading hot ammo either.
I was told that Marlin chambered a very few #3 cast Ballard rifles in .22WCF, and of course there are some #2 cast in .32-20 also; I own two of them in .32-20. So if the person who owned a .25-20SS keeps loads at normal velocities I doubt they'd be any problems.
The N-S skirmishers have been using Civil War era Ballards converted for many decades, but I doubt most ever got fired with bullets. They seem to exclusively shoot blanks, and often use .44 Special cases to make up their BP blanks. So really not the same problem of actually shooting lead in them.

Vall, there’s a difference between reenactors and skirmishers. The reenactors dress up in authentic uniforms and shoot blanks at each other from a distance.  Skirmishers shoot live ammo (with bullets) at paper and reactive targets.  The converted Ballards I referred to are shooting lead bullets running 200 gr plus over essentially a case full of FFFg black powder.  There have been a few reproductions built, but most guns on the line are rebuilt and converted 150 year old originals. 

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #43 - Nov 24th, 2022 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Thanks Charlie! 
I had no idea there was a group actually firing these old guns also.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #44 - Nov 28th, 2022 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Vall,
I’m only about 3 hrs South of Winchester, VA and Ft Shenandoah, the national range for N-SSA.  About 15 or so years ago I stopped by their Sutlers’ Row to get some help with an 1873 Maynard.  When I saw those guys in CW get up were having so much fun I had to join in.  Besides, for me it’s 9 hours closer than Beeson’s Range at Etna Green!  Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint