Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shoot in casted or weight order (Read 3243 times)
Myers
Senior Forum Member

Re: Shoot in casted or weight order
Reply #30 - Mar 8th, 2022 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Mar 8th, 2022 at 11:29am:
Those sharp bases do look nice but if the bullet fit is just abit big they will also push /create fins coming off the back of the bullet as Pope has also pointed out. Back when I was allot more serious than I am now I would break those sharp edges using an outside case chamfering tool by hand. If a fin was inadvertently being created it now had a place go and not now hanging off of the base of the bullet that is not conducive to achieving the very best of accuracy.

I remember BW Darr telling me about that. He thought you were crazy. If whatever you do with your bullets works in your mind then that's half the battle to the winners circle.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #31 - Mar 8th, 2022 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I sharpen the back edge of the sprue plate.
I set the sprue plate loose and cut the sprue high.
Then I slide the sharp edge of the sprue plate back over the bullet shearing off the base.
You do it as soon as the bullet starts to harden so it is still soft and will not bend the base inwards from the shearing action.

The process results in the bases always being the same height without a high sprue, shears off any base fins, and shears it off without any divots occurring.
This results in square edges and more consistent bullet weights.

This method produces bullets with more consistent base edges which result in more consistent bullet tension in fixed cartridges.
Of course a sizing die also helps provide a more consistent base diameter as well.

I also rub the top edges of the mold with a stone to create an air vent (between mold halves) which allows the bullet to fill out better on the base since the air is not trapped under the sprue plate.
Picture of mold air vent after bullet base sheared.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2022 at 10:46pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Mar 9th, 2022 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Thanks Dave, the detailed report is much appreciated.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #33 - Mar 9th, 2022 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I use oven mitts inside of leather welding mitts so I can handle the hot mold longer during the shearing process.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint