Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shoot in casted or weight order (Read 3242 times)
hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Shoot in casted or weight order
Mar 5th, 2022 at 10:30am
Print Post  
I've heard that some say there is an accuracy preferrence. anyone care to share their experince?

i am mostly interested in BPCR Silhouette  competition but if a technique should prove accuracy enhancement in one sport, it may be beneficial in another.

i personally weigh all my bullets and shoot in weight-order, heavier to lighter. i hear some shoot in casted order because the theory is that the ratio of tin to lead changes as the pot is emptied as more and more bullets are casted.

not trying to start any arguments here. just trying to understand other theories and i always use my own judgement as to decide if it makes sense for me to explore a new area.

thanks everyone for sharing!

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Re: Shoot in casted or weight order
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 10:58am
Print Post  
If the alloy was properly mixed to start with it won't matter whether the bullet came from the top of the pot or the last ladle full you can get out from the bottom.
A good casting routine should yield bullets that don't vary much over 1 grain.That won't affect for accuracy out to 1000 and will certainly work for silhouette. Weighing is good to sort anything that may have caught an air bubble or the blocks were completely closed etc.

IP Logged

vagrant_viking
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
When I'm serious about accurate bullets I group by weight. Different weights on different strings, distances or outings. 
If they are in 1gr increments you are only 0.25% different for a 400gr bullet. Might want to be more discriminating for a 100gr bullet.

I've never heard of the alloy changing at different levels in the pot and would want to see some chemical analysis done before I'd believe it. Even then you can just give it a stir now and then.

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
As you say, not to start a fight...

But, I read a book about H.M. Pope and his procedure.  It included correspondence with Mann and others.  He made a couple blocks from wood and drilled rows of holes.  He would pour a dozen (+/-) bullets before he started keeping them.  Lined up in order cast in rows.  His theory was that, as members here have posted, that any differences as pot level and fluxing changed the cast; bullet changes would be minimized.

My first real Schuetzen rifle was a Miller.  Dean and I came up with the idea that a shorter case with smokeless could make for better scores.  That was the 32 Miller Short.  It seems to be doing well these days.   Smiley  Dean was a proponent of the as cast storage.  I have always done that myself.  It seems to hold weight tolerance to the .1 grain standard I use.

Rich

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I've been beat buy guys that swear by 
( and hold records with) each method.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
I also shoot in the order as cast. But one also has to have the ability to continually cast bullets within a variance of no more than 4 tenths through out a batch to end up with match quality bullets. This is in regards to 33 caliber or less for use in competitive benchrest matches. Does it really make a difference? it does in my own mind as it is another possible variable that is being eliminated. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
For serious shooting such as matches, I weigh bullets as-cast which gives a good indication if one weighs significantly different from its neighbors.  I then sort by weight.  The 32 cal bullets I use for matches are cast in large quantities and are sorted in .1 gr batches.  Others may be sorted into bullets with a variation of .3 - .4 gr.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
  If you are superstitious, shoot them in the order cast. Otherwise it makes no difference.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I believe weiging and keeping track of each individual bullet would be an advantage if the wind never blew, and the sun never moved, and the temperature never varied.   

PS,  Cast is the correct past tense if It is an irregular verb. Casted is an incorrect past tense conjugation of cast.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
I just pick then out of the tub, load and shoot them. They are already weigh sorted.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
My own opinions---

I think shooting bullets in order cast probably had some value when folks were melting their alloy on the kitchen stove, where pot temperature might vary widely.   Probably not useful with modern, well-controlled pots.

Sorting by weight may be fooling yourself.   If a bullet is lighter than the heaviest bullets, some METAL IS MISSING somewhere in the bullet.

On the SHILOH forum, I recently posted the description and conclusions from an extensive experiment of shooting weight-rejected bullets, (Q.V.).

CHRIS

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Mar 5th, 2022 at 7:59pm:
I believe weiging and keeping track of each individual bullet would be an advantage if the wind never blew, and the sun never moved, and the temperature never varied.  

PS,  Cast is the correct past tense if It is an irregular verb. Casted is an incorrect past tense conjugation of cast.

Pretty sure when your cast bullets are “casted” they ben sorted into groups within the caste system

From top to bottom in the caste system you have 

Match, target. These are your elite bullets, best of the best.

Match, silhouette. These are simply the best.

Sighters, used to get you on paper

Foulers, just need to get out of the barrel in the general direction pointed.

Unshootables, worst of the worst. Considered unclean. Immediately back into the casting pot to hopefully be reincarnated at least as foulers, preferably as Match cast.

All casted bullets can be re-cast after being thoroughly cleansed in the melting pot and cast again in the caste system.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I've had the experience of culls from weight-sorting shooting a better group than the keepers.  Go figure. 

<div class=

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Una cosa más, after you cast, weigh, sort and lube your bullets, be sure that all the bases are clean and that they don't have any lube on them. You don't want powder sticking to the base 'cause it'll cause a low shot.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 5th, 2022 at 9:07pm:
I've had the experience of culls from weight-sorting shooting a better group than the keepers.  Go figure. 

Yep, me too. 

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint