Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices (Read 9218 times)
S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices
Feb 6th, 2021 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Based on some sage advice I received from forum members, some personal research in the "new to me" world of single shot rifles, and hours of discussion with a friend who is heavily involved in this sport, I have narrowed down my choices for a planned build on a Stevens 044 1/2 action.  As previously advised, my shooting would involve target work at 100 and 200-yard ranges.  In decending order of simple to difficult to get components for reloading, my short list is as follows:

32-20 - because brass and ammo is readily available
25-20 - for nearly the same reasons stated above
22 Hornet - for nearly the same reasons stated above
25 Hornet - will require custom dies and forming brass but 
                  seems easier to accomplish than the remaining 
                  cartridges
25-20 SS - a historic an interesting cartridge with a good 
                 reputation but will require custom dies and buying 
                 expensive brass
28-30 - a historic and interesting cartridge that has really 
            caught my fascination but again will require custom 
            dies and expensive brass

Of course the brass issue coud be overcome with breach seating, but for starting out I'd like to go with fixed ammo and a cartridge that wasn't so exotic as to make obtaining ammo too much of an obstacle (however I do see myself getting a 28-30 as second at some point down the road but only after I've started with a good basic kit).

As always, many thanks.  You guys are a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience.  Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Jeff
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2021 at 1:17pm by S99VG »  

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Re: Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Tough choice. 28-30 would be awesome but I'd want a supply of brass available. It would be the best cartridge listed at 200 yards. 32-20 in custom heavy bullet loads of course would be as good or better. 

25-20 SS over 25-20 repeater just because it's one of my favorites. 

I want a 25 hornet someday. Have a Ruger #3 in 22 hornet that is lots of fun. A 2 barrel set in 25 and 22 would be cool.  Cool

Sorry, not much help.  Wink

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
I think that if it were mine I would go with .25 Hornet. Brass is plentiful and I should think that .25-20 ballistics could be duplicated, or nearly so.

Not being familiar with .25 rimfire bore dimensions, would it be compatible with simply rechambering the gun to one of his .25 caliber choices?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
As much as I like the 32-20 (have one coming on a 44 1/2) and the 25-20 SS (have one on a 44), I think the 25 Hornet sounds very interesting, especially on an 044 1/2. The Hornet brass would be a lot easier to come by than the 25-20 SS these days and it was designed to take a higher pressure. I've never been a big fan of the 25-20 WCF. You might find this interesting: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Of all  the cartridges listed, the .25-20 wcf would be my choice for numerous reasons. First of all the cost of getting brass, dies, molds, etc. to start with. Then it's well known good results for the 100-200 yd. distances you chose.
Finally it's a caliber that even loaded up a little faster, still produces very low recoil, and good case life.
And the .32-20 is a an equally great choice.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I would agree with marlinguy on the 25-20 WCF for all the stated reasons, if you plan to breech seat. I have no practical knowledge with lead plain base bullets in fixed ammo for this cartridge and won't venture an opinion there.

My 25-20 WCF does fairly well, if I can keep my head screwed on straight. A David Mos 120 gr. bullet, CCI BR4 primer, and AA4100/Ramshot Enforcer, with Remington cases, at 1660 fps is what my CPA rifle likes.

There are several other 25-20 WCF rifles out here that shoot just as well as mine.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
32-40 would be my choice. Premier 200 yard target round. A given at 100 yards.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
In all honesty I shot a 32-40 for more years than I can now recall to count. I won allot of honors during that time a national championship, a national record and a 174 top three finishes in CBA's plainbase class and set some clubb records at the time. Not counting the Clubs monthly ASSRA matches and our yearly ISSA regional events. I them built myself a 28-35 and did very well so I built myself a 25-35 and it has also down well. If I had a chance to do it all over again I would have been shooting a 25-35 over all of those years and possibly something for yourself to think about and if I could be of any help I would love to be able to do so for yourself. It does not take a back seat to anything else and a real pleasure to shoot off of the bench so just send me a PM and I would be more than willing to help. I also have to say if you came into room thinking I know everything you came into the wrong room and its best that you leave as I don't and I never will. If I were claim such a thing it would all just be totally un-honest bull shit and now where close to being the truth!  New brass is available from Hornady and pressure has never been an issue I can push it as hard as I want and well beyond what I could do with the 32-40 and wind drift and bullet drop is allot less at 200 yards and that is all that I now shoot and only in benchrest competition these days and also for several years. It is also all shooting breech seated I have never shot fixed or BP in competition.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:51pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
O44 1/2 is to small for any cartage in the 32/40 class ken 

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking it may come down to 25-20 or 32-20, with possibly a faster twist barrel for heavier bullets.  Here's the gun I'm working with.  Right now it's in 25 RF but I'd like to get it into CPA for a new barrel as well as some other work such as color case hardening and conversion to center fire.  Thanks guys!

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
.25 hornet is a great cartridge. To form all you have to do is shoot.22 hornets in it and trim. 
Lee Gibbs pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Very charming rifle and I would also talk to Gail in regards to what options you actually have with safely chambering the 0441/2 action for what appears to be for breech seated benchrest competition use and I would ask if the 25-35 might be one of those options I myself highly recommends.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I should add that my CPA has a Douglas 10 twist barrel. (I like your Mission style furniture).

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
My CPA also has a 10 twist Douglas barrel and if you do decide on a 25 caliber for breech seated competition use. I would highly recommend getting the 120 grain Spitzer bullet mould from David Mos while you still can and what I myself also uses. I have a cherrie that is pretty much a copy of the Mos and a mould I cut for myself and a few of my friends. But it still also does not shoot quite as well as the Mos and probably drops a shot or two when the Mos  does not all though all of the dimensions and the design is the same?

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Gail a CPA told me the 044 1/2 would be too small for any cartridge 30-30 and larger.  Hence, the list I came up with.  Thanks again!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
kensmachine wrote on Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:04pm:
O44 1/2 is to small for any cartage in the 32/40 class ken 

I missed the "0". Yep, the lil popper wins.   Grin

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
32-20

Or keep as is and make .25 rf ammo from .17 wsm, which is not difficult to do, and buy another rifle that is suitable for a larger diameter cartridge such as the .32-40.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:22am
Print Post  
If I had a penny for everytime in life I missed the "0" I'd suffer an embaresement of riches.  Instead I just suffer embaresement.  And I do want to step up to the plate with a CPA in 32-40 some day, but for now the 044 1/2 is what I have and I want to make something useful out of it.  Not a 44 1/2 or a CPA, but something interesting for bench rest shooting at 100 and 200-yard ranges on the 044 1/2 platform.

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Another vote for the 32/20. 
- Same extractor as 28/30 ?
- Your 25 rim block I believe would work for a 22 lr
- 044 1/2 in 32/20 would be a nice "sunny day" woods companion
finally read the attached. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 10:23am
Print Post  
At least you can re-barrel your rifle with a much heavier weight barrel, than the factory light weight rapid taper barrel that was standard. 044 1/2’s are kind of light for a target rifle. Good luck with it whatever caliber you decide.

The .28-30 extractor would be closer to .38 special/.357 magnum size.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Thanks guys.  Interesting hearing the 28-30 extractor would be closer to a 38/357 as a friend of mine suggetsed 32 Miller which, if I remember, is a necked down 357.  Holy smokes, just as one cartidge begins to make crystal clear sense then along comes something else.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:19am
Print Post  
CPA mentioned that the 25 RF extractor lines up with the 17 HMR more so than the 22 RF.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #22 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:24am
Print Post  
The 32 Miller is a high pressure round when shooting 200+ grain bullets.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Yes, the 32 Miller might be too much for the 3/4” barrel shank on the O44 1/2?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Too much pressure only if you load it that way. The .32 Miller is strictly a handloading proposition and as such can be tailored to the gun. Or, slightly alter the chamber dimensions so someone else's hot handloads couldn't be inserted, and also at the same time place it squarely in the realm of somebody with good sense to manage it.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #25 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:36am:
Too much pressure only if you load it that way. The .32 Miller is strictly a handloading proposition and as such can be tailored to the gun. Or, slightly alter the chamber dimensions so someone else's hot handloads couldn't be inserted, and also at the same time place it squarely in the realm of somebody with good sense to manage it.

Yes you can tailor low pressure loads in the 32-40. Not in the 32 Miller. Miller is a very small case.  Sure you could shoot light bullets to get the pressure down but then you're at a huge dissadvantage in a match. 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
What are you going to use it for ?  If bench rest & breech seating casting your bullets fast twist “wildcat” fine small # of cases low volume precise work

If offhand better to stay with traditional twist & case. Many more cases needed and factory bullets like Meister sells to Pistol Caliber  silhouette competitors better choice. I buy 25/20 & 38/40 by the thousand. No way I could cast that volume.  My offhand rifles keep couple hundred cases prepped loading all same time as a lot. Hunting another thing too.

Look at local matches available to you don’t want to set up a road race car when drag racing all that’s nearby 

End use makes the choice 

Boats

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
S99VG wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:19am:
CPA mentioned that the 25 RF extractor lines up with the 17 HMR more so than the 22 RF.

More the 17 WSM. That is the case used to make brass for 25 RF. The difference is rim thickness and is an easy work around. Firing pin lines up perfect. It can be very accurate at 100 yards, 200 depends on conditions. Not traditional tho.

Honestly, by the time you buy and fit a barrel, modify or replace the block, you could take that money add it to what you could sell what you have, you could probably have a decent 44 1/2. 

Parts for a 44 1/2 are much easier to find and cartridge choice is much broader if you are actually thinking competition or are frustrated with larger groups.

Not saying it can’t be done with the smaller action and lighter bullets, just that it will be much more work and potentially less satisfying for the money spent.

I own and shoot one, so not knocking the rifle or it’s capabilities, just bringing the negatives to the table you might not have considered.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:13pm:
What are you going to use it for ?  If bench rest & breech seating casting your bullets fast twist “wildcat” fine small # of cases low volume precise work

If offhand better to stay with traditional twist & case. Many more cases needed and factory bullets like Meister sells to Pistol Caliber  silhouette competitors better choice. I buy 25/20 & 38/40 by the thousand. No way I could cast that volume.  My offhand rifles keep couple hundred cases prepped loading all same time as a lot. Hunting another thing too.

Look at local matches available to you don’t want to set up a road race car when drag racing all that’s nearby 

End use makes the choice 

Boats

Yes and that end use is bench rest at 100 to 200-yards.  Thanks

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:16pm:
S99VG wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:19am:

More the 17 WSM. That is the case used to make brass for 25 RF. The difference is rim thickness and is an easy work around. Firing pin lines up perfect. It can be very accurate at 100 yards, 200 depends on conditions. Not traditional tho.

Honestly, by the time you buy and fit a barrel, modify or replace the block, you could take that money add it to what you could sell what you have, you could probably have a decent 44 1/2. 

Parts for a 44 1/2 are much easier to find and cartridge choice is much broader if you are actually thinking competition or are frustrated with larger groups.

Not saying it can’t be done with the smaller action and lighter bullets, just that it will be much more work and potentially less satisfying for the money spent.

I own and shoot one, so not knocking the rifle or it’s capabilities, just bringing the negatives to the table you might not have considered.

Understood but the 044 1/2 is what I have and I think it will make up into an interesting, and somewhat unique, custom single shot in itself.  A 44 1/2 or CPA may likely come next year given the size of the bug that's bit me on the rear with these things.  Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2021 at 9:41pm by S99VG »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
200 yard bench probably best performance anybody’s had rifle like yours = Stevens action,  is 32/20 as set up by Paul Shuttleworth. If he says the 044 1/2 will handle it it’s the best choice.

Boats

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I have the 25 hornet, 25 wcf, 25 ss and had the 25 schuetzen. All shot great. That said I would go with the WCF for all the reason Jerry mentioned. Anyone of these can be a shooter that can win, but why fight brass availability and expense. The WCF and Hornet are the easiest to get brass and both similar expense. I have a hornet on a 9.5-1 twist barrel so I dont have to push my 120 mos bullets as hard. all are breech seaters!

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
More choices, more confusion Smiley

If you go with 357 mag/max cases, you open up a whole new can of worms. 30-30 Wesson, 30 Schwartz which is almost the same. Both are basically 357 max straight tapered to 308.

1500 fps with a 200 grain bullet can be kept in the 20,000 psi range.  The case head diameter of the 357 is only .020” larger than 28-30, rim diameter +.010”.

Seems to work fine in the 044 1/2 action.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 9:11pm:
Smiley

No foolin'!

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 9:46am
Print Post  
i had an original in 25  20ss and it shot great breach seatedjust make it a 25 20winchester  because brass is affordable  and get the brass before you start the build  let cpa barrel it.   best  art

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Based on everything you guys mentioned I think I've narrowed it down to either 25-20 or 32-20, with an edge toward the latter if forming 32-20 into 25 is as problemattic as was suggested.  I also think at some point I will get a 22-Hornet barrel but, as also suggetsed, have it marked 22 W.C.F. to help prevent anyone in the future from stoking with loads that may be too hot.  Many thanks, much appreciate all the discussion and help.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
32-20 or rather 30-20 in my case is a dandy, especially with a fast-twist barrel and heavy bullets.  I have a 1:12 twist Lothar Walther barrel on a BSA 12/15 action. Should maybe try it with nitro, but it actually is my go-to short-range bp match rifle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #37 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
The .32-20 is an excellent choice, and since it's a Stevens, extra barrels later on will result in a gun that's very versatile to change calibers. More so if you choose other calibers using the same rim size so you wont need extra ejectors too.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
You mentioned.32-20 and then maybe getting a .22 hornet barrel later, you might consider a .218 bee, so you wouldn’t need to change the extractor.

IP Logged

BudHyett

Reply #39 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Feb 8th, 2021 at 2:45pm:
You mentioned.32-20 and then maybe getting a .22 hornet barrel later, you might consider a .218 bee, so you wouldn’t need to change the extractor.

Having two CPA Stevens 44 1/2 rifles with barrels for .32-20 CPA and .25-20 WCF, barrel interchange is a factor. Also having a Ruger #1's in both .22 Hornet and .218 Bee, I am prejudiced for the .218 Bee. The .218 Bee was easier developing a load and the brass lasts far longer.

Changing the extractor is a factor. The CBA National Match has several fun matches on Friday for warmup before Saturday and Sunday including a Quarter-Bore match. I've never been able to match the claimed five to seven minute interchange time for firing pins and extractors.   

The .32-20 CPA is easily formed from .32-20 WCF basically giving a straight case. The .25-20 WCF brass comes on the market annually; but with the current ammo crunch, I do not expect to see it for several years. You can form .25-20 from .32-20, there are several threads on both  ASSRA and CBA websites. 

If you are thinking .25-20 WCF, get a 1 in 10" twist for the heavier 110 to 120 grain bullets.

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Just be aware of the pressures it takes for either the 32-20 CPA or the 25WCF as Jerry H shoots for them to actually become extremely competitive. Being also dependant on where one lives you might not be able to reach the velocity of what it takes to both be competitive and to not incure the separated cases being lost to get and to remain there during a match. When I first built my 28 based on a straight tapered to 28 357 max. case I had to actually knock out each case with a cleaning rod to be competitive. Shortly after I re-chambered to a 28-35 and I could push it allot harder than I actually needed to be extremely competitive and pressure was never an issue and case lose was also none existent from that time forward. Same holds true now for my 25-35 and just as competitive as any 25 out their currently being used.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I have to knock out 25/20 formed from Starline 32/20 with a cleaning rod often in a Marlin 1894. WW 25/20 brass never fails to extract. Lever action it has a very weak extractor. No matter how good the load performs fail to extract match is over.  Stevens action would probably pull them out fine can’t say sure.

Much fun as 25 cal is 200 yards 200 gr 32 probably outshoot 120 gr 25

Boats

IP Logged

BudHyett

Reply #42 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Feb 8th, 2021 at 8:37pm:
WW 25/20 brass never fails to extract. Much fun as 25 caliber is 200 yards, 200 gr 32 probably outshoot 120 gr 25 - Boats

I think the W-W brass is softer and the rim is thinner. Both aid extraction. Annealing .32-20 Starline brass to make .25-20 is now the standard procedure. 

The .32-20 is definitely better at wind bucking. I shot the .25-20 two years ago for the reduced recoil while first recovering from bone cancer, 200 yards is a real challenge. I am now cleared for more recoil and going with the .32-20 and a 200 grain bullet.

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Starline 32/20 brass rim is thicker than WW 25/20 . Little bit thicker in front of the rim were its difficult to size, solid brass won’t compress much when forming. Even formed all the way to the rim, no shell holder and about .oo2 extra remained.  Aneling greatly speeds forming & solves the temper problem.

Starline formed can be done, if 25/20 WW brass is available better option. I gave my Starline 32/20 brass away when supply of WW was available.

None of this important in strong extractor rifles & moderate pressures  Anyhow that’s my experience.

Boats

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #44 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Wow, more interesting stuff.  Now where did the beat my head on the wall emogee go?

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
S99VG

His gunsmith

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it really won’t matter which you pick. It won’t be the right one, it won’t be the last one.

Until you have shot some, you can’t know what to expect, or what you might really enjoy.

You might get really lucky and get it right the first time, not many of us were that lucky, or satisfied with the choice.

Don’t beat yourself up, good luck with your choice Grin

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 9:14am
Print Post  
25 Hornet, 25WCF, 25-20SS 32-20 CPA, 32-20 Will probably need a wad over the powder to keep from spilling powder into the action if breech seating. Some use Floral Foam at the mouth of the case some use cork .200 off of the powder.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #47 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:35pm:
S99VG

His gunsmith

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it really won’t matter which you pick. It won’t be the right one, it won’t be the last one.

Until you have shot some, you can’t know what to expect, or what you might really enjoy.

You might get really lucky and get it right the first time, not many of us were that lucky, or satisfied with the choice.

Don’t beat yourself up, good luck with your choice Grin

Thanks - I see what you mean

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #48 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 11:49am
Print Post  
So after a lot of fantastic input from you guys and considerable head scratching on my part my final choices have come down to a 30-20 for the 044 1/2 and a 30-30 for a future acquisition of a 44 1/2 or CPA.  That would give me a universe of bullets to work with for both guns and minimal effort in forminng brass for the 044 1/2.  Thanks again, I appreciate all the good discussions you guys provided!

Jeff

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Jeff the most important of it all is just getting out to shoot and enjoying whatever it is you might end up choosing to pick. I have learned over time anything can be made to shoot competitively or just for the joy of it if the time and effort is spent.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Also noticed you are in California and you are welcome to come out and shoot with our group in Modesto should you be close enough. If so I can get you added onto our Schuetzen match schedule list.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
S99VG, If you talk to Paul Shuttleworth about the 32-20 and he gives a nod for your rifle, I have seen several of his 32-20 200yd targets he pulled out of the shop gun room to show me .... and you’d wish they were yours
In the mean time you have a Stevens Long rf barrel that is shootable with no modifications.  Roberson Cartridge Co has modified Stevens 32 Long CF brass modified to rim fire.  All you need are Ramset Brown primers that are equal to the old velocity, no powder and bullets and your good to go with 25 Long CF dies

And for the future barrel, don’t rule out the Stevens 28-30 caliber. It was the caliber that replaced the 25-20 with greater accuracy out to 200 with black powder
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2021 at 11:02pm by »  

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #52 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Quote:
S99VG, If you talk to Paul Shuttleworth about the 32-20 and he gives a nod for your rifle, I have seen several of his 32-20 200yd targets he pulled out of the shop gun room to show me .... and you’d wish they were yours
In the mean time you have a Stevens Long rf barrel that is shootable with no modifications.  Roberson Cartridge Co has modified Stevens 32 Long CF brass modified to rim fire.  All you need are Ramset Brown primers that are equal to the old velocity, no powder and bullets and your good to go with 25 Long CF dies

And for the future barrel, don’t rule out the Stevens 28-30 caliber. It was the caliber that replaced the 25-20 with greater accuracy out to 200 with black powder

Good stuff.  Thanks!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Those of us who attend the church of the .28-30 are few and far between.  But most of us are true believers.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #54 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
I gotta admit I'm still pulled to the 28-30.  It may end up being my second barrel

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
28-30 is a very nice cartridge it's only down fall is brass is as rare as Hen's teeth. None availability of brass was but one of the reasons I went to the 25-35. New brass is readily available and Hornady has been the best. The rim thickness on the new WW brass varies by .005 and not so with my new Hornady brass.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
To date I have done four 25-35's for friends and below is one of four or five of Jack Hughes 200 yard 250 targets he has shot. Jack Hughes who is also on this site is one of those I have built one for. His load data is at bottom of his target for those who might be interested. 

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:56pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I believe that it was under consideration for his other rifle.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I would never recommend anything that I have not self proven to myself to work. One of those four 25-35's I built was for myself. I had Manson design my custom reamer around the Mos 120 grain Spitzer and it has worked out extremely well. If memory serves me right the bullet mould I cut as shown if the mould section. Is the Mos clone that I cut for Jack Hughes and used on his target as shown. But I could also be wrong it might be one of the 28 Mos clones that I also cut for friends to be used in their 28-35's that I also built for them?

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 9:22am
Print Post  
John, 28-30 brass is available but expensive, upside both vendor’s cases are CNC lathe turned, not drawn...

I got 50 from Rocky Mountain quickly before they decided to sell the business but are still producing with a 2-3 month wait for the 44 1/2 barrel I have
Reloads... Accurate Mold 28-120B, clone of the Ideal 287221 with 25grs RL7
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2021 at 9:41am by »  

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #60 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I've settled on the 30-32 for starters with the 044 1/2 (with a 30-30 for starters with a 44 1/2 or CPA in the future).  The 28-30 will probably come second for the little Stevens.  

I've read differing comments on 28-30 brass.  Some burgeoning on not so good for Rocky Mtn.  But others stating its fine.  I take it there is no basic brass on which the case could be formed.  Given this, what would be the best source of brass choice for the cartridge?   
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2021 at 1:05pm by S99VG »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
It can be formed by different brass and there was an article on how to go about it in the ASSRA Singleshot Journal. If memory serves me right the donor cartridge being used is damn near as hard to get as the factory brass. Hopefully someone will chime in with which journal it is published in.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Found the donor brass to use.

Huntington's sells [or did] 6 x 70R brass that can easily be sized for the 28/30 Stevens, it is very nice brass made by Norma.  Don't look for 6 x 70R brass in your cartridge books, it ain't there.   ledball

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
A bit more information about forming 28-30 brass in an old discussion. Article in the Journal was written by Ken Meyer if that helps to locate which Journal the article is in. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint