Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices (Read 9216 times)
Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices
Reply #45 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
S99VG

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

His gunsmith

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it really won’t matter which you pick. It won’t be the right one, it won’t be the last one.

Until you have shot some, you can’t know what to expect, or what you might really enjoy.

You might get really lucky and get it right the first time, not many of us were that lucky, or satisfied with the choice.

Don’t beat yourself up, good luck with your choice Grin

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 9:14am
Print Post  
25 Hornet, 25WCF, 25-20SS 32-20 CPA, 32-20 Will probably need a wad over the powder to keep from spilling powder into the action if breech seating. Some use Floral Foam at the mouth of the case some use cork .200 off of the powder.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #47 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:35pm:
S99VG

His gunsmith

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it really won’t matter which you pick. It won’t be the right one, it won’t be the last one.

Until you have shot some, you can’t know what to expect, or what you might really enjoy.

You might get really lucky and get it right the first time, not many of us were that lucky, or satisfied with the choice.

Don’t beat yourself up, good luck with your choice Grin

Thanks - I see what you mean

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #48 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 11:49am
Print Post  
So after a lot of fantastic input from you guys and considerable head scratching on my part my final choices have come down to a 30-20 for the 044 1/2 and a 30-30 for a future acquisition of a 44 1/2 or CPA.  That would give me a universe of bullets to work with for both guns and minimal effort in forminng brass for the 044 1/2.  Thanks again, I appreciate all the good discussions you guys provided!

Jeff

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Jeff the most important of it all is just getting out to shoot and enjoying whatever it is you might end up choosing to pick. I have learned over time anything can be made to shoot competitively or just for the joy of it if the time and effort is spent.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Also noticed you are in California and you are welcome to come out and shoot with our group in Modesto should you be close enough. If so I can get you added onto our Schuetzen match schedule list.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
S99VG, If you talk to Paul Shuttleworth about the 32-20 and he gives a nod for your rifle, I have seen several of his 32-20 200yd targets he pulled out of the shop gun room to show me .... and you’d wish they were yours
In the mean time you have a Stevens Long rf barrel that is shootable with no modifications.  Roberson Cartridge Co has modified Stevens 32 Long CF brass modified to rim fire.  All you need are Ramset Brown primers that are equal to the old velocity, no powder and bullets and your good to go with 25 Long CF dies

And for the future barrel, don’t rule out the Stevens 28-30 caliber. It was the caliber that replaced the 25-20 with greater accuracy out to 200 with black powder
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2021 at 11:02pm by »  

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #52 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Quote:
S99VG, If you talk to Paul Shuttleworth about the 32-20 and he gives a nod for your rifle, I have seen several of his 32-20 200yd targets he pulled out of the shop gun room to show me .... and you’d wish they were yours
In the mean time you have a Stevens Long rf barrel that is shootable with no modifications.  Roberson Cartridge Co has modified Stevens 32 Long CF brass modified to rim fire.  All you need are Ramset Brown primers that are equal to the old velocity, no powder and bullets and your good to go with 25 Long CF dies

And for the future barrel, don’t rule out the Stevens 28-30 caliber. It was the caliber that replaced the 25-20 with greater accuracy out to 200 with black powder

Good stuff.  Thanks!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Those of us who attend the church of the .28-30 are few and far between.  But most of us are true believers.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #54 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
I gotta admit I'm still pulled to the 28-30.  It may end up being my second barrel

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
28-30 is a very nice cartridge it's only down fall is brass is as rare as Hen's teeth. None availability of brass was but one of the reasons I went to the 25-35. New brass is readily available and Hornady has been the best. The rim thickness on the new WW brass varies by .005 and not so with my new Hornady brass.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
To date I have done four 25-35's for friends and below is one of four or five of Jack Hughes 200 yard 250 targets he has shot. Jack Hughes who is also on this site is one of those I have built one for. His load data is at bottom of his target for those who might be interested. 

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2021 at 2:56pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I believe that it was under consideration for his other rifle.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I would never recommend anything that I have not self proven to myself to work. One of those four 25-35's I built was for myself. I had Manson design my custom reamer around the Mos 120 grain Spitzer and it has worked out extremely well. If memory serves me right the bullet mould I cut as shown if the mould section. Is the Mos clone that I cut for Jack Hughes and used on his target as shown. But I could also be wrong it might be one of the 28 Mos clones that I also cut for friends to be used in their 28-35's that I also built for them?

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 9:22am
Print Post  
John, 28-30 brass is available but expensive, upside both vendor’s cases are CNC lathe turned, not drawn...

I got 50 from Rocky Mountain quickly before they decided to sell the business but are still producing with a 2-3 month wait for the 44 1/2 barrel I have
Reloads... Accurate Mold 28-120B, clone of the Ideal 287221 with 25grs RL7
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2021 at 9:41am by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint