Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices (Read 9220 times)
S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices
Feb 6th, 2021 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Based on some sage advice I received from forum members, some personal research in the "new to me" world of single shot rifles, and hours of discussion with a friend who is heavily involved in this sport, I have narrowed down my choices for a planned build on a Stevens 044 1/2 action.  As previously advised, my shooting would involve target work at 100 and 200-yard ranges.  In decending order of simple to difficult to get components for reloading, my short list is as follows:

32-20 - because brass and ammo is readily available
25-20 - for nearly the same reasons stated above
22 Hornet - for nearly the same reasons stated above
25 Hornet - will require custom dies and forming brass but 
                  seems easier to accomplish than the remaining 
                  cartridges
25-20 SS - a historic an interesting cartridge with a good 
                 reputation but will require custom dies and buying 
                 expensive brass
28-30 - a historic and interesting cartridge that has really 
            caught my fascination but again will require custom 
            dies and expensive brass

Of course the brass issue coud be overcome with breach seating, but for starting out I'd like to go with fixed ammo and a cartridge that wasn't so exotic as to make obtaining ammo too much of an obstacle (however I do see myself getting a 28-30 as second at some point down the road but only after I've started with a good basic kit).

As always, many thanks.  You guys are a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience.  Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Jeff
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2021 at 1:17pm by S99VG »  

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Re: Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Tough choice. 28-30 would be awesome but I'd want a supply of brass available. It would be the best cartridge listed at 200 yards. 32-20 in custom heavy bullet loads of course would be as good or better. 

25-20 SS over 25-20 repeater just because it's one of my favorites. 

I want a 25 hornet someday. Have a Ruger #3 in 22 hornet that is lots of fun. A 2 barrel set in 25 and 22 would be cool.  Cool

Sorry, not much help.  Wink

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
I think that if it were mine I would go with .25 Hornet. Brass is plentiful and I should think that .25-20 ballistics could be duplicated, or nearly so.

Not being familiar with .25 rimfire bore dimensions, would it be compatible with simply rechambering the gun to one of his .25 caliber choices?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
As much as I like the 32-20 (have one coming on a 44 1/2) and the 25-20 SS (have one on a 44), I think the 25 Hornet sounds very interesting, especially on an 044 1/2. The Hornet brass would be a lot easier to come by than the 25-20 SS these days and it was designed to take a higher pressure. I've never been a big fan of the 25-20 WCF. You might find this interesting: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Of all  the cartridges listed, the .25-20 wcf would be my choice for numerous reasons. First of all the cost of getting brass, dies, molds, etc. to start with. Then it's well known good results for the 100-200 yd. distances you chose.
Finally it's a caliber that even loaded up a little faster, still produces very low recoil, and good case life.
And the .32-20 is a an equally great choice.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I would agree with marlinguy on the 25-20 WCF for all the stated reasons, if you plan to breech seat. I have no practical knowledge with lead plain base bullets in fixed ammo for this cartridge and won't venture an opinion there.

My 25-20 WCF does fairly well, if I can keep my head screwed on straight. A David Mos 120 gr. bullet, CCI BR4 primer, and AA4100/Ramshot Enforcer, with Remington cases, at 1660 fps is what my CPA rifle likes.

There are several other 25-20 WCF rifles out here that shoot just as well as mine.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
32-40 would be my choice. Premier 200 yard target round. A given at 100 yards.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
In all honesty I shot a 32-40 for more years than I can now recall to count. I won allot of honors during that time a national championship, a national record and a 174 top three finishes in CBA's plainbase class and set some clubb records at the time. Not counting the Clubs monthly ASSRA matches and our yearly ISSA regional events. I them built myself a 28-35 and did very well so I built myself a 25-35 and it has also down well. If I had a chance to do it all over again I would have been shooting a 25-35 over all of those years and possibly something for yourself to think about and if I could be of any help I would love to be able to do so for yourself. It does not take a back seat to anything else and a real pleasure to shoot off of the bench so just send me a PM and I would be more than willing to help. I also have to say if you came into room thinking I know everything you came into the wrong room and its best that you leave as I don't and I never will. If I were claim such a thing it would all just be totally un-honest bull shit and now where close to being the truth!  New brass is available from Hornady and pressure has never been an issue I can push it as hard as I want and well beyond what I could do with the 32-40 and wind drift and bullet drop is allot less at 200 yards and that is all that I now shoot and only in benchrest competition these days and also for several years. It is also all shooting breech seated I have never shot fixed or BP in competition.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2021 at 9:51pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
O44 1/2 is to small for any cartage in the 32/40 class ken 

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking it may come down to 25-20 or 32-20, with possibly a faster twist barrel for heavier bullets.  Here's the gun I'm working with.  Right now it's in 25 RF but I'd like to get it into CPA for a new barrel as well as some other work such as color case hardening and conversion to center fire.  Thanks guys!

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
.25 hornet is a great cartridge. To form all you have to do is shoot.22 hornets in it and trim. 
Lee Gibbs pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Very charming rifle and I would also talk to Gail in regards to what options you actually have with safely chambering the 0441/2 action for what appears to be for breech seated benchrest competition use and I would ask if the 25-35 might be one of those options I myself highly recommends.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I should add that my CPA has a Douglas 10 twist barrel. (I like your Mission style furniture).

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
My CPA also has a 10 twist Douglas barrel and if you do decide on a 25 caliber for breech seated competition use. I would highly recommend getting the 120 grain Spitzer bullet mould from David Mos while you still can and what I myself also uses. I have a cherrie that is pretty much a copy of the Mos and a mould I cut for myself and a few of my friends. But it still also does not shoot quite as well as the Mos and probably drops a shot or two when the Mos  does not all though all of the dimensions and the design is the same?

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Gail a CPA told me the 044 1/2 would be too small for any cartridge 30-30 and larger.  Hence, the list I came up with.  Thanks again!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint