Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices (Read 9213 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Advice Sought on Narrowing Down Cartridge Choices
Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
kensmachine wrote on Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:04pm:
O44 1/2 is to small for any cartage in the 32/40 class ken 

I missed the "0". Yep, the lil popper wins.   Grin

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
32-20

Or keep as is and make .25 rf ammo from .17 wsm, which is not difficult to do, and buy another rifle that is suitable for a larger diameter cartridge such as the .32-40.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:22am
Print Post  
If I had a penny for everytime in life I missed the "0" I'd suffer an embaresement of riches.  Instead I just suffer embaresement.  And I do want to step up to the plate with a CPA in 32-40 some day, but for now the 044 1/2 is what I have and I want to make something useful out of it.  Not a 44 1/2 or a CPA, but something interesting for bench rest shooting at 100 and 200-yard ranges on the 044 1/2 platform.

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Another vote for the 32/20. 
- Same extractor as 28/30 ?
- Your 25 rim block I believe would work for a 22 lr
- 044 1/2 in 32/20 would be a nice "sunny day" woods companion
finally read the attached. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 10:23am
Print Post  
At least you can re-barrel your rifle with a much heavier weight barrel, than the factory light weight rapid taper barrel that was standard. 044 1/2’s are kind of light for a target rifle. Good luck with it whatever caliber you decide.

The .28-30 extractor would be closer to .38 special/.357 magnum size.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Thanks guys.  Interesting hearing the 28-30 extractor would be closer to a 38/357 as a friend of mine suggetsed 32 Miller which, if I remember, is a necked down 357.  Holy smokes, just as one cartidge begins to make crystal clear sense then along comes something else.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:19am
Print Post  
CPA mentioned that the 25 RF extractor lines up with the 17 HMR more so than the 22 RF.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #22 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:24am
Print Post  
The 32 Miller is a high pressure round when shooting 200+ grain bullets.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Yes, the 32 Miller might be too much for the 3/4” barrel shank on the O44 1/2?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Too much pressure only if you load it that way. The .32 Miller is strictly a handloading proposition and as such can be tailored to the gun. Or, slightly alter the chamber dimensions so someone else's hot handloads couldn't be inserted, and also at the same time place it squarely in the realm of somebody with good sense to manage it.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #25 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:36am:
Too much pressure only if you load it that way. The .32 Miller is strictly a handloading proposition and as such can be tailored to the gun. Or, slightly alter the chamber dimensions so someone else's hot handloads couldn't be inserted, and also at the same time place it squarely in the realm of somebody with good sense to manage it.

Yes you can tailor low pressure loads in the 32-40. Not in the 32 Miller. Miller is a very small case.  Sure you could shoot light bullets to get the pressure down but then you're at a huge dissadvantage in a match. 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
What are you going to use it for ?  If bench rest & breech seating casting your bullets fast twist “wildcat” fine small # of cases low volume precise work

If offhand better to stay with traditional twist & case. Many more cases needed and factory bullets like Meister sells to Pistol Caliber  silhouette competitors better choice. I buy 25/20 & 38/40 by the thousand. No way I could cast that volume.  My offhand rifles keep couple hundred cases prepped loading all same time as a lot. Hunting another thing too.

Look at local matches available to you don’t want to set up a road race car when drag racing all that’s nearby 

End use makes the choice 

Boats

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
S99VG wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:19am:
CPA mentioned that the 25 RF extractor lines up with the 17 HMR more so than the 22 RF.

More the 17 WSM. That is the case used to make brass for 25 RF. The difference is rim thickness and is an easy work around. Firing pin lines up perfect. It can be very accurate at 100 yards, 200 depends on conditions. Not traditional tho.

Honestly, by the time you buy and fit a barrel, modify or replace the block, you could take that money add it to what you could sell what you have, you could probably have a decent 44 1/2. 

Parts for a 44 1/2 are much easier to find and cartridge choice is much broader if you are actually thinking competition or are frustrated with larger groups.

Not saying it can’t be done with the smaller action and lighter bullets, just that it will be much more work and potentially less satisfying for the money spent.

I own and shoot one, so not knocking the rifle or it’s capabilities, just bringing the negatives to the table you might not have considered.

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:13pm:
What are you going to use it for ?  If bench rest & breech seating casting your bullets fast twist “wildcat” fine small # of cases low volume precise work

If offhand better to stay with traditional twist & case. Many more cases needed and factory bullets like Meister sells to Pistol Caliber  silhouette competitors better choice. I buy 25/20 & 38/40 by the thousand. No way I could cast that volume.  My offhand rifles keep couple hundred cases prepped loading all same time as a lot. Hunting another thing too.

Look at local matches available to you don’t want to set up a road race car when drag racing all that’s nearby 

End use makes the choice 

Boats

Yes and that end use is bench rest at 100 to 200-yards.  Thanks

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:16pm:
S99VG wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 11:19am:

More the 17 WSM. That is the case used to make brass for 25 RF. The difference is rim thickness and is an easy work around. Firing pin lines up perfect. It can be very accurate at 100 yards, 200 depends on conditions. Not traditional tho.

Honestly, by the time you buy and fit a barrel, modify or replace the block, you could take that money add it to what you could sell what you have, you could probably have a decent 44 1/2. 

Parts for a 44 1/2 are much easier to find and cartridge choice is much broader if you are actually thinking competition or are frustrated with larger groups.

Not saying it can’t be done with the smaller action and lighter bullets, just that it will be much more work and potentially less satisfying for the money spent.

I own and shoot one, so not knocking the rifle or it’s capabilities, just bringing the negatives to the table you might not have considered.

Understood but the 044 1/2 is what I have and I think it will make up into an interesting, and somewhat unique, custom single shot in itself.  A 44 1/2 or CPA may likely come next year given the size of the bug that's bit me on the rear with these things.  Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2021 at 9:41pm by S99VG »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint