Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date? (Read 33605 times)
Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date?
Reply #45 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Screw slot wide enough/deep enough to use a coin as a screwdriver?

Which to me would also explain why the head sticks out so much.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 2:34am:
Screw slot wide enough / deep enough to use a coin as a screwdriver? 

Yup, it's about 0.70" wide so a dime, penny or, better yet, a quarter will fit, but not a nickel.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:18am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I wondered for a while why the head of the takedown screw on my Enfield Mk.II revolver was so deformed, until I realized it was made to fit a one-shilling piece.   British officers always had change on their persons, because in their Army they had to buy their own meals.

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:17am:
British officers always had change on their persons, because in their Army they had to buy their own meals.

Yes, but in return the Army provided each of them with a personal servant ("batman").   

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Wayne,
Just found the full round barrel I have...
26" long, breech dia 0.980", muzzle dia 0.912"
The front dovetail is the old larger Stevens width, there is no rear barrel dovetail.
The barrel is drilled for scope blocks, rear block hole spacing ~0.860", front block hole spacing ~0.550", spacing between block centers ~8 5/32".
The barrel roll address looks the same as shown in the picture that you provided, small font, ~1.225" long, all capital block letters, each letter ~1/16" tall.
Caliber roll mark is    22-LONG RIFLE   , ~1.150" long, each block letter ~1/8" tall.
There is no serial # on the barrel.
One other thing that I almost missed...  at the 9 o'clock position, centered ~1/4" forward of the shoulder (barrel to receiver face) there is an extremely faint mark consisting of a circle ~5/32" in dia, with a    20    inside of it, the numbers ~1/16" tall. The mark is so faint that a few passes with 600 grit paper would probably remove it.
That faint marking makes me consider the possibility that the barrels may be from the Savage/Stevens era.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:03pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:37pm:

The barrel is drilled for scope blocks, rear block hole spacing ~0.860", front block hole spacing ~0.550", spacing between block centers ~8 5/32", #5x40 screw threads.

So, looks like Savage did change the screw spacing. Appears only rifle in Stevens/Savage catalog that would use that brl is the #414.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
And Gail at CPA was correct after all?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:07pm:
And Gail at CPA was correct after all?

Absolutely not!  Except, obviously, for these late Savage-made barrels, which constitute an aberration in Stevens history. The real Stevens company died in 1915 (murdered, actually), as we all know, and what came afterwards was never more than a pale reflection of the original company.

Or do you think a genuine "Winchester" can be made in Japan?

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:37pm:
Wayne,
Just found the full round barrel I have...
26" long, breech dia 0.980", muzzle dia 0.912"
The front dovetail is the old larger Stevens width, there is no rear barrel dovetail.
The barrel is drilled for scope blocks, rear block hole spacing ~0.860", front block hole spacing ~0.550", spacing between block centers ~8 5/32".
The barrel roll address looks the same as shown in the picture that you provided, small font, ~1.225" long, all capital block letters, each letter ~1/16" tall.
Caliber roll mark is    22-LONG RIFLE   , ~1.150" long, each block letter ~1/8" tall.
There is no serial # on the barrel.
One other thing that I almost missed...  at the 9 o'clock position, centered ~1/4" forward of the shoulder (barrel to receiver face) there is an extremely faint mark consisting of a circle ~5/32" in dia, with a    20    inside of it, the numbers ~1/16" tall. The mark is so faint that a few passes with 600 grit paper would probably remove it.
That faint marking makes me consider the possibility that the barrels may be from the Savage/Stevens era.

Out of curiosity I drifted out the front dovetail filler & measured the width of the dovetail with a caliper to get an approximate number.  I came up with ~0.480", so it certainly is wider than the 3/8" commonly used today.  And at the same 9:00 position as on your barrel, 3/16" in front of the receiver face there is a ~4/32" dia. circle with what appears to be the left side of a P or R or a similar character in the center.  Because the character is off center to the left, it could be a 2-digit number starting with "1" but that's only a guess.  If it was an alpha character or a 2-digit number the right side has been sanded or machined off.  I forgot to mention it earlier.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:42pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Guys,

I sure appreciate all the details and discussion.  Hopefully some of you have learned something in the process.  I certainly have, that's for sure.  It reinforces my uninformed assumption that it came from the factory as configured.  Having no background on Stevens rifle at the time, apparently I got lucky when I picked this one up.

So, is it fair to say that it’s a late Stevens 44 made by Savage as pictured sometime between 1921 & 1932 with a non-standard Savage barrel, a custom take down screw and possibly a pre-WW1 Stevens receiver?

Wayne

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
So, is it fair to say that it’s a late Stevens 44 made by Savage as pictured sometime between 1921 & 1932 with a non-standard Savage barrel, a custom take down screw and possibly a pre-WW1 Stevens receiver?

I'd add that the Swiss buttplate and the quality and outline of the buttstock move this Model 44 further out of the "standard" category and closer to approximating what was once cataloged as the Model 45 "Range Rifle".  Moreover, if you accept this rifle as a factory product, by Savage-Stevens standards, it's an uncommon if not truly rare rifle.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:10am
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:12pm:
So, is it fair to say that it’s a late Stevens 44 made by Savage as pictured sometime between 1921 & 1932 with a non-standard Savage barrel, a custom take down screw and possibly a pre-WW1 Stevens receiver.

A very reasonable assessment.  The brl would have been "non-standard" relative to the pre-WWI receiver; but at the time the gun was assembled, that Savage brl. actually was "standard."   The butt-plate, presumably, was a pre-Savage part still in the inventory, as it wasn't offered publically after Savage assumed control.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:46pm:
Moreover, if you accept this rifle as a factory product, by Savage-Stevens standards, it's an uncommon if not truly rare rifle.

Absolutely!  (With the emphasis on "rare"!)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #58 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:49am
Print Post  
My feeling on it is that the later in 44 production it might be, the better the odds are that it might be a factory built rifle that has strange changes that don't conform to what we feel are common to most Stevens 44.
Since the 44 was nearing the end of production, it's not impossible to believe someone in the Savage-Stevens factory assembled this as a special order non catalogued rifle, and sent it out the door.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Don't get me wrong here, because I enjoy the Stevens-minded on this list discussing their pets.  But, with the lack of historical evidence beyond the rifles themselves, has anybody ever tried to assemble somethng like a "guide" to these guns?
I've never owned a Stevens, and after reading the confusing (at least) things about them, I'd be fearful of buying one at anything beyond bargain basement price.* I think that something to direct a purchaser would sure be worthwhile. Just a thought here.

* I'd buy most anything if it was cheap enough Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Send TopicPrint