Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory (Read 42222 times)
SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory
Jan 17th, 2011 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Hello, I am a new member and this is my first post. Today I walked into my gun shop and walked out with a Stevens 414 Armory Target rifle. I had no previous knowledge of the rifle. It was love at first sight. She is a little rough, but with a little tlc, I plan on transforming her into a fine squirrel sniping single shot. This one really has me excited.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Re: My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:53am
Print Post  
SquirrelStalker welcome to the the fun, these one shot at a time rifles seem to grow on you and take over your safe or should I say safes.  Wink 

The Stevens 414 is an excellent accurate rifle, although at my age it would be a sitting down under a tree Squirrel rifle, I have a very nice light weight Stevens Favorite that I walk with for such endeavors.

Let us see a photo of your rifle as is, and when you get into your version of a fine squirrel sniping single shot finished, sounds like a fine project.

MIKE-T

IP Logged

azzhandler

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:56am
Print Post  
the 414's are nice guns, did you get the 22LR or the 22 short version?
if yours is chambered for the LR try some good standard velocity  target ammo in it,  it sure makes mine " perk " up.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks M-T, glad to be here. I should have some pics up in a little while. My gun is a.22 long rifle. The rear sight is not original but it will do for now. The front sight seems to be original but it is soldered on. I don't know if that is correct. I am undecided as far as wether I want a scope or a tang sight, or both, since the holes are there. The holes are there for the scope base blocks. The rear two holes are further apart then the front two. I don't know if that is normal. The modern Malcolm repro (6X 18' long) is one scope I am considering. Last night I cleaned the heck out of the barrel with a brush and Hoppes # 9. It looks good. The buttstock is the roughest part of the gun.It may need replacement if I can not fix it.Another thing that has me curious is the forend stock,which I have not taken off yet. It is lose, and the screws just turn when I try to tighten them.I will get into all of this stuff later. Right now I am going out to shoot her a little.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Here are some pics.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:31pm by »  

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Not bad SquirrelStalker, being in long rifle is a good thing, and I've cleaned up worse looking stocks than yours, it just took a lot of work and time and a couple required some small amounts epoxy to be solid again.

Since the bore cleaned up so well it should be shooter Smiley Smiley Smiley
MIKE-T

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
WOW.......... she's a shooter. I really, really like when this happens.I had a box of CCI CB Longs handy (29 grain) First round, twenty yards,on a rest, nice little hole , dead center of the bull's eye.Twenty more shots in a half inch. I just may drop a squirrel before the end of the day.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Hi SquirrelStalker!  I love that name!   Smiley  So you got Squirrels round your place huh?  Huh   

Thats a nice Armory 414. looks like good honest use and a bit of grime. Perfect.

I have a Squirrel dog, a Rat Terrier. Cant use him for the squirrels we have here. They're too big.   Sad

He's hell on rats and mice though. 

Joe.  Smiley

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

azzhandler

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
here is what a 414 will look like with a " tube scope " mounted on it,
the screw holes on the rear base should be wider then on the front,  but these are not original holes, so they could vary, depending on who mounted the bases.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Sweet......... I am looking at scopes on ebay. The Unyrtle and Lyman  scopes are up in price these days. There are other external adjustment scopes out there but I hate buying a scope that I can't hold and look through.What type of scope is that on your 414?

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Forgive me for jumping in here but!!!  If you want to use the rifle for squirrel, cut down on the weight. How, get your self a BKL mount and use the rear Unertl block.  You can mount any kind of scope you want at a reasonable price.

I have a unertl 20X on one of mine but sure don't carry it around looking for squirrel, over 10 lbs.  Roll Eyes

Don G
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:07am by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
If you can locate one , a Unertl 6X small game scope would be something to consider. I have one on a CPA in .22, great squirrel rifle.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Here is a photo of a Unertl 6X small game scope on my CPA .22

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I like that GWarden. I really like the Unertl scopes on these rifles.Hey smoke, I get your point about weight, but it is not an issue with me.Most of my modern rimfire rifles sport bigger scopes and bipods. My style of squirrel hunting leans more toward post and snipe than stalking. I really like that butt stock with the raised comb and cheekpiece. Very nice rifle.The Leatherwood Malcolm repro scopes are nice as well.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I would just like to thank everyone for the recommendations and advice.Also, the images of your rifles are a great help and I am enjoying them very much.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint