Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Bisley Model (martini action) (Read 43082 times)
tjshooter
Participating Member

Re: Stevens Bisley Model (martini action)
Reply #45 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Slumlord The parker Hale sights would be 1930's onwards as is the brass sight element holder,  the foresight for Martini rifles with a dovetail in the barrel and would the rear  sight be a 7A?  Bear in Mind Parker Hale did not exist as a company before that. The AGP reline also onwards from the 30's till post WW2 I would say latter part  as I have thought before as the proof markings using LR as against L and chamber length is in  my opinion after WW2.  TJ.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Yes large Martini actions were serial numbered on the front of the action.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
The 1930's date on the brass insert holder confirms my belief that the stock and forearm have been changed. According to the factory brochure the stock was checkered and the forearm was different. The sights seem to also be from the same time frame. The reline is probably from the same time frame. No matter what changes have been made, I am still thrilled to have it in my collection. I am still kicking myself for passing up a Stevens Sure Shot because it was not in good enough condition to suit me. I was not about to let ths one get away, modified or not. I sure wish this gun could talk! It has a lot more history if I could only find it. The auction company never contacted me. Would sure like to get a picture of that one, or any other one for that matter. Still looking for more on this model. There has to be another one somewhere. The one in Grants book probably still exists, but who knows where.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
tjshooter
The rear sight is a Parker Hale 17A.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:35pm by slumlord44 »  

IP Logged

tjshooter
Participating Member

Reply #49 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Hi Again The sight in the Photos is I would say clearly a  PH Mod 7A you will find by pressing the button on the left side you can remove the top of the sight.These were made for Small Frame martini's  (hence the not fitting the larger frame correctly) post 1934 following the Mod 7 and  available into the 1960's. The  Mod 17 was not introduced until the 1950's for the BSA Century bolt action .22" and is quite different.   Mismarked along the way possibly.
I am sure that you will enjoy this unusual rifle updated or not. I am as you may have noticed a Martini lover.  TJ.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #50 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
The stocks on this rifle look machine made to me.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 12:02am
Print Post  
That is a Parker installed liner in the barrel.   The AG Parker name later changed to Parker Hale and they were still relining barrels in the early 1960s, in fact I shipped them a Remington No. 4 around 1964 that they relined for me.  Still have it.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Got picture from Kuls. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:01pm by slumlord44 »  

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
tjshooter,
You are correct about the sight being a 7A. I must need new glasses. Thought it was a 17A. I have another picture of the other side of the gun but can't seem to get it to post here. This is the first picture I have posted here so I at least am starting to get the idea of how to post photos. From what I can tell my entire stock has been changed. Not sure about the butplate. Am trying to get contact info on the new owner from Kuls or have them give my contact info to him. Sure do like that stock! Anybody know what the rear sight is? I am thinking Stevens but have to compare to Strobels book to see if I can match it up.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:32pm by slumlord44 »  

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 2:27am
Print Post  
The photo just posted looks much more like the rifles in Grant's book (& Stevens catalog cut) than Slumlord's new rifle.  The half round, half octagon barrel is like the catalog.  Makes me think a new barrel replaced the original Stevens half round, and then (at a much later time) the new barrel was relined.  That may explain the replaced wood.  Also looks to me as if the buttstock of the rifle in the photo just posted has considerable more drop than Slumlord's rifle.  If you were to use Slumlord's rifle for position shooting, the shape of the present stock might well be better suited than the original seen in the new photo.

Waterman
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:40pm by waterman »  

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #55 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:53am
Print Post  
The rifle sold at Kul's and the Rifle shown in Grants do not look English, they look American. Half round barrels  and checkering on the stock was not used on the English Miniature Military rifles at that time.

About like putting checkering and half round barrels on your 03 Springfield to shoot Hi-power.

True enough, checker and half round barrel were around, they just weren't the norm.

The sight on the Kul's rifle and the Grant rifle looks to be a BSA 8.

The stocks on this rifle look machine made for competition.  The round barrel was more correct for an English rifle as octagons were used on cheap rifles at that time. 

Parkerrifled liners were used to replace shot corroded bore or to give a competitive edge. 

Some one later added the PH7A to upgrade the sights.   

This rifle was a competitors rifle.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

tjshooter
Participating Member

Reply #56 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I too would say that  the rear sight  on the Kul's rifle looks like a long stem BSA 8.  TJ.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Here is the other picture from Kuhls. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009 at 7:49pm by slumlord44 »  

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Ok, It took me many trys to get both photos posted properly. 
As far as the barrel on my Bisley, it is properly marked Stevens. It is round. It is possible that it could be a barrel from another model Stevens but I do not know how they would interchange. Stevens was know for offering different barrel configerations on the same rifles. This is one of the questions on my rifle. Another realy strange thing I noticed is that the Stevens name on the frame of the gun is on the left side on my gun and the right side on the Kuls gun. Makes no sense to me but the markings look right. Why would this be done?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
DD's observation is correct.  This is a competitor's rifle.  Here's my guess as to what happened:  A shooter (presumably in the UK) bought the rifle.  He tried it and was satisfied with the accuracy of the Stevens barrel, but the barrel was too light and whippy.  The whole rifle was more or less set up for offhand work.  

The shooter sent the barreled action back to Stevens for a heavier barrel.  Upon return, the rifle was completely restocked for position shooting.  At some time, the sights were changed, or maybe the shooter already had the sights.  Barrel #2 was shot until it was corroded or lost accuracy.  Then it was relined.

Version 2 says the shooter special ordered a Bisley Model with a heavier barrel, maybe just a barreled action, and had the stock fitted in the UK.

Waterman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint