Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Bisley Model (martini action) (Read 43078 times)
harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Stevens Bisley Model (martini action)
Reply #30 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
tjshooter wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 4:44pm:
Harry  All you say is of course true however the sight holder and sights are 1930's. I would still like to know more of the proof marks I am aware that LR was in use but still the proof marks pre WW1 were as  I mentioned above and of course Nitro Proof was not compulsory until the 1920's. An interseting puzzle all around. I wish I had looked closer at the Part Oct/round barreled Stevens I briefly saw a while ago.   TJ.

Hello TJ

The Proof Marks on the photograph of the barrel are:- Crown over BV = Birmingham Proof House 'View' mark from 1906. Crown over BP = the Birmingham 'Provisional' Proof mark, the Crown over NP = the definitive nitro 'Proof' mark from 1904. The action is marked with the 
Crown over BV within an oval cartouche this is again the Birmingham 'View' Proof mark.

This rifle really does need a 'Forensic  type Examination' by a serious .22 Rifle enthusiast/collector The rifle sights may well be an upgrade to a more recently Parker-Hale manufactured small bore rifle sights. Who knows what has happened to this rifle in the last one hundred years?

So many questions, so many possible answers.

Harry
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2009 at 5:57pm by »  

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 4:13am
Print Post  
Ken,

If you contact the people who run the Kull Auction House they may be able to put you in touch with the person who bought the Stevens Martini from them recently. 

If they can, you could compare notes and photographs and see what features match on both rifles and what parts dont. You could also ask about the proof marks and their positions on the barrel and action.

You would be doing Stevens collectors and single shot rifle enthusiasts in general a great service by doing so. I'm sure that many Forum members and perhaps the ASSRA Magazine editor would like an article on your findings.

Harry

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Harry,
Tried to google Kull Acution Service. Couldn't come up with anything. Suggestions?

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Item 1438

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Sent them an email. Will advise if they are any help.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Slumlord44,

I see the DoubleD has beaten me to it. I know I live on this Board but not at the time you posted, which in UK time was about 4.0am.  Roll Eyes

I tried running the Kull Auction House picture through 'Photoshop' but couldn't enlarge the picture with any acceptable resolution.

The description of the rifle is brief and not very informative, I hope you have better luck from contacting them.

Harry

IP Logged

Ken
Participating Member

Reply #36 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 8:26am
Print Post  
I called Krull a few days ago to see if they could send my contact info to the buyer of the Bisley Model they sold in August.  As of now I have heard nothing back

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #37 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
These auctions used to be called "Kull-Supica Old Town Station Auctions".   

Jim Supica is or was a director of the NRA and contributor to the "I have this old gun" section of the American Rifleman magazine.  His business was or is "Supica's Old Town Station."  He is a Smith & Wesson collector and author of at least one book.  If the auction house is non-responsive, I suggest you try to track down Mr Supica, as he will certainly understand your interest in making contact with the buyer.

Life Member #205

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #38 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Terry,
Jim sold his part of the business and quit. He is now the curator of the NRA museum.

IP Logged

tjshooter
Participating Member

Reply #39 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Harry 

I follow all you say re the marks I still have some reservations as I own and have sight of 5 pre WW1 manufactured  .22" rifles BSA's Greeners and a Bonehill conversion All of thse are only pre 1904 marks and 22L also same marks on a 1920's  made .22"BSA. Even as late as 1935 a custom martini marked chambered and rifled for High speed ammunition does not carry LR mark only .22L and .610" (chamber length) the same on a 1930 ish relined Greener. So another question is ...Is this relined ? it could explain a lot.   TJ.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Hello TJ,

As you say the rifle could have been relined, but without being able to examine it it's difficult to say. Perhaps Ken will have a look and see.

As Stevens was an early'wildcatter' who put the original .22"Long Rifle cartridge together, he might have asked that the Proof house mark the rifles so, implausable, but not impossible. 

It will be interesting if details can be found out about the other Auctioned Rifle, a comparrison of details, especially the proof marks should be quite fascinating.

I agree some rifles from the turn of the 20th.C. have few markings, yet I have seen some with that many proof house markings they look like the rifle has had a dose of smallpox.

We'll just have to wait and see if any info is forthcoming about the other Stevens Martini.

Harry

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 9:30pm
Print Post  

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I completed a deal with  Ken for the Bisley and it is comfortable in my collection as of yesterday when UPS delivered it. I shot it today at 25 yards and got decent groups considering that in the afternoon with the target in the shade I had trouble seeing the target. I have some more details after taking a good look at it in person.
The front sight is a Parker Hale FS22 globe sight. The rear sight is a Parker Hale 17A that is mounted with the typical screws plus soft soldered on, apparently to make it fit better. The radius on the base of the sight does not match the radius on the back of the rifle. The mounting hole and dovetail under the front of the barrel for the front sling swivial has been soft soldered to fill it. Under the forearm the barrel is stamped EF and C7 and 3. The front of the frame behind the forearm is stamped 3 and 0. The muzzel end of the barrel looks like it has a liner in it and is stamped PARKER RIFLED  AGP in a circle on the end of the barrel around the bore. The liner and the stampings look to be factory, but who's? Factory liner on a Martini/Stevens?? The serial # is 752 with a lightly stamped 0 in front of it and a lightly stamped 9 after it. There is also a lightly stamped 09 on the underside of the barrel in front of the forearm. The brass cap on the end of the forearm had two extra inserts in it  for the front sight. I sure wish I could find another one somewhere to compare notes on! I am sure the rear sight has been changed. The front sight may have been changed. The stock and forearm MAY have been changed or may be original. They do not match the Stevens brochure. The Stevens markings on the barrel and action are correct as near as I can tell. Fun gun to shoot and an interesting puzzle and piece of history for sure!

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Hello Slumlord,

This rifle gets more and more interesting as further details slowly emerge.

It may pay to try and ascertain just when the Parker Hale front and rear sights were introduced as the date(s) may give a clue as to whether the sights were an aftermarket replacement.

Have you had any reply from the auction house that sold a Steven Bisley last month, or from the Savage Firearms Collection?

Early 20th.C. .22" Rimfire ammunition was pretty corrosive, unlike currently made .22" cartridges, so the barrel may have been relined in the past. Parker Hale did make liners and these were probably more readily available here in Britain than elsewhere. Again I am uncertain of when they were introduced, but finding out may provide another answer.

Harry

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I'm with Harry.  This gets more & more interesting.  Not only this rifle, but the whole matter of Stevens Bisley Models.  Grant said it was a limited production run of only 10 rifles.  In Finale (pages 4 & 5) he makes reference to Bisleys with serial numbers 37 & 52.  The rifle that just passed from Ken to Slumlord has number 752.  If someone can locate the Bisley that passed through the auction house, maybe we can add one more SN to the list of known numbers.  Sure makes me wonder how the numbers were assigned.  Also how many were really made up, by whom, and what is the survival rate?  If the number was really only 10, we now know of 3 or 4.  Is that unusual?  Those Stevens Bisleys were made in 1910 or 1911.

The numbers on the front of the action seem typical of Stevens.  All 3 of my Stevens rifles have numbers stamped on the front of the actions, but then, my rifles all have 44 actions.  Was it a common practice to mark the front of other British Martini smallbore actions?

My guess is that the "09" was put on the action and barrel to keep track of the parts when the barrel was re-lined.  Whoever lined the barrel may have had a lot of such jobs at the same time.

Harry is also correct about the corrosive effects of early 22 ammunition, especially the smokeless stuff.  Of late, I've been doing a lot of reading about the early years of smallbore shooting.  In 1918, Whelen wrote that there was no known method of avoiding corrosion if the shooter used shells loaded with smokeless powder.  In 1927, Crossman wrote that a German ammunition company had sold a lot of 22 RF target ammunition in the UK and the stuff had ruined a great many rifle barrels.

One more thought.  If Stevens had pushed the Martini-actioned target rifle in the US in 1919, instead of continuing with the 404-414 series, would they have given Winchester more competition in smallbore target rifle sales?

Waterman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint