Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Old Borchardt (Read 44160 times)
Mathsr
Ex Member

Old Borchardt
Jan 24th, 2007 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I have been visiting as a guest, checking out the comments about various actions and I thought I would throw out a question or two since I like the way some of you think. I have been looking around trying to decide what type of single shot I could get that would be fun to shoot and hunt with. I like late 1800's actions, and don't mind reloading, but reloading is not what I really enjoy. I have always liked the 9.3x74 and thought that would be the cartridge I would use, but with an older style action. I began seeing some posts about the Borchardt action and remembered that I had gotten one in a trade years ago. I had started to fix it up after "Bubba the Gunsmith" had tossed everything but the action, but I lost interest. It has a 45/70 barrel and a partially finished butt stock on it now. I would like to end up with a mainly iron sight rifle in the business rifle style, but with the option of installing a low power scope. Do you think an old Borchardt is up to it? Any good gunsmiths around that like to do this kind of work? This is what I have to work with.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Harry

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Old Borchardt
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 2:55am
Print Post  
Hello Harry,

It's nice to hear of another old Borchardt being brought back into action, but I cannot recommend your choice of cartridge. The 9x74R was brought in to replace the older Black Powder round known as the 9.72R.
The extra 2mm of case length of the 9x74 case was a deliberate decision to prevent it being used in rifles chambered for the older round.

Whilst the Borchardt in good condition will handle any US Black Powder round with safety it is not IMO safe to handle the much higher pressures developed by the 9.74R.

Certainly a few were converted to handle 'varmint' cartridges like the .219 Donaldson Wasp and the .219 Zipper etc, but even these rounds were pushing the upper limits of what the Borchardt can handle.

A modern reproduction Borchardt made of moderm materials will probably handle the 9.74R cartridge without any problem, but not the 1878 Sharps factory product.

In its current chambering of 45/70 your rifle is capable of taking any American game animal, provided you do your part. I can certainly understand you wanting a flatter shooting round, but flatter trajectories require higher velocities and that means higher breech pressures, its a vicious circle.

It is frequently written that the Borchardt is one of the strongest single shot rifles ever made in the USA. That's essentially true, what is frequently omitted by those writers is that it was the strongest action produced during the Black Powder era.

There are single shot rifles that will handle virtually any rifle cartridge ever made, but these came along at a much later date, long after the Sharps Factory closed its doors for the last time.

Stay with a cartridge within the design limits of the action, give it the respect it deserves, and enjoy shooting it.

Harry 

IP Logged

Mathsr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick response Harry. I had serious doubts about the 9.3x74 and the Borchardt. From the comments I have been reading, I thought that someone would know for sure if it would work or not. The barrel is going to need to be changed to get the look I want, so it was a chance to get the caliber I wanted too. I want something different from a 45/70, which is one of the reasons the Sharps ended up in the back of my closet to start with. Looks like I need a newer old style action to build this rifle on and I will need to save the Borchardt for a later project. Maybe a 40/70 or a 40/65 would do the trick. Thanks again for the information.

Harry  

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Harry1,
If you like the 9.3-74, you might also like a .38-72.  It's a find bp cartridge that would be more than fine in a Borchardt.  If you are looking for a smokeless cartridge however, that is a different story.

That is a very fine piece of wood and it looks like someone started on profiling it from a military to sporting configuration - I'm sure you could move that rifle for a pretty penny - no I'm not looking to get into the market however.  Though I could be convinced otherwise I suppose.

Brent

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I think either the .38-72 or .40-70 Sharps Straight would make an excellent choice.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
My dear rifle is a Sharps Borchardt in .25 Krag improved.  Should I stop shooting it? I'd hate to have to turn it into a wall hanger!  Joe.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2007 at 2:33am by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Reckon I better hang up my own Borchardt 300 Mag. Man, what a downer! I been shootin' that rifle for a number of years now but little did I know how close I was to disaster!

All kidding aside, IMO Harry is being a trifle conservative. I have one unbarrelled Borchardt remaining, and one of my possible caliber choices is the 9.3x74R. Another good one would be the 40-70 SS if used with the .408" groove diameter since it's basically just a 405 Winchester with smaller-diameter bullets. Moulds for the 9.3's 0.366" groove specification are pretty scarce while both a wide variety of moulds and also some excellent jacketed bullets are available in the 0.408" size.

It is imperative, I repeat imperative, that a qualified single-shot gunsmith examine and update your action before barrelling to any smokeless cartridge. Not just any gunsmith will do, nor will just any single shot gunsmith be OK. You'll need a smith that's familiar with the Borchardt and please be advised that the 1878 Borchardt is one of the most-misunderstood of all the single shots, so qualified knowledgeable smiths are few & far between. I can recommend both hst and Buchsenmacher, both of this board.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Seems like we shoulda heard from Harry by now. The way you rattled his cage, JD. If he doesnt post something soon I'm gonna have to think up something to yank his chain with.  Joe.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 3:42am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 26th, 2007 at 2:30am:
Seems like we shoulda heard from Harry by now. The way you rattled his cage, JD. If he doesnt post something soon I'm gonna have to think up something to yank his chain with.  Joe.    

Hello Joe and JD.

You forget I am several hours ahead of you in time. When you wrote your posts I was already in bed. As I write this, you've both got several hours of sleep left to enjoy.

O/k, Perhaps I am being conservative, but I see no sense in using high pressure cartridges in weapons that weren't designed to take anything like the pressures developed by them. The 45/70, 45/90 or 45/110 black powder rounds have much lower breech pressures than the .25 Krag Imp or .300 mag. These latter rounds are very likely to generate twice the breech pressure than the old BP rounds.

Old steels, unlike many wines, do not improve with age. The metalurgical qualities of 1870's steel leaves a lot to be desired by modern standards. Even modern rifles blow up. Sako recently had to recall a large number of rifles because several had blown up with factory ammo.

No one would expect the Wright Brothers 'flyer' to break the sound barrier or a 1920's Model 'T' Ford to win this years Le Mans 24 hour race, common sense says they weren't designed to do so.

Now it may well be that both of you are lucky, in that nothing has happened so far to your rifles, but are you using light loads just to be on the safe side? If so, then consider what might happen in a few years time when these rifles belong to someone else and they load cartridges generating higher pressures than you are using.

The USA doesn't have 'Proof Houses' so testing of weapons is very much a hit or miss affair with no real standards to set a guide. On various other boards I have seen suggestions that people who build their own rifles should fire a couple of rounds using a 10% over maximum powder charge, preferably pulling the trigger from a distance by means of a string. Hardly a scientific method of testing. No one seems to recommend checking on dimensional changes that may have taken place after 'proof' firing. That is a standard practice in European Proof Houses, along with a lot of other checks involving computers and chronographs etc. 

The cracking of actions under the stress of a high pressure load may not be noticed as they can be microscopic, the next couple of rounds may may blow the action apart. 

The cardinal rule of shooting is SAFETY in all things pertaining to the sport. I have to ask, is shooting a high pressure cartridge in a 120+ year old BP action safe? I don't honestly think so.

Harry

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Hello Harry. 
I dont worry about my Sharps blowing up. Like you suggested I dont load it hot.  All of the smokeless loads I shoot in old rifles are lower pressure than black powder loads. That is if the primers are a reliable indicator. 
The .25 Krag imp, is a different story. I didnt build the rifle. A fella named Maurice Ottmar built it. 
My intention was to use the action for a schutzen rifle. I just can't bring myself to take it apart.  So I'll use it.  
As for the luck thing, it could be good common sense and some book readin and edjamacation that keeps me and Joe from getting blown up.
Hopefully in twenty five years the fellow who owns this .25Krag will have some common sense. If he doesnt I cant help him.
I shoot a Krag Jorgenson in the old soldiers matches occasionally. I shoot full power loads just like it shot the day it was made.  
Man, does that baby bark! Well, it seems like it after shooting the mild loads in the old single shot's.  It doesn't worry me a bit.
I alway's wondered why 303 Brit chamber's are so sloppy. It never dawned on me till you brought up the proof house thing. Are you sure the USA never had a proof system? I havent read about such things for thirty or more year's, so can't comment on that. I'm sure our armory's did. 
As far as actions blowing up, of the one's I am aware of, Its about even steven on Black versus smokeless.    Is it cold where your at Harry?                          Joe.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Hello Joe,

Regarding American 'Proof Houses'. I'm fairly sure that US Government Arsenals did carry out proofing on weapons they made or refurbished and that most manufacturers tested their own weapons for sale. Each would have their own standards as to what a proof load was. But there ism't a standard set across the board for all to adhere to.

What I was getting at was there isn't, and as far as I am aware, has never been an independant 'Proof House' governed by US Law which would test and proof fire all firearms either manufactured, imported or gunsmith made or altered, prior to them being sold.

The U/K has had such Proof Houses for a couple of hundred years. They were originally set up to weed out those manufacturers who made their firearms out of weak materials. Even today not all manufacturers are infallible. I must admit I'd rather a gun blew up in the proof house than when I squeezed off a round.

Re .303 British chambers, if your referring to the military rifle, this was produced in several countries all over the world including the USA. It was in service with the British armed forces from the 1880's to the 1970's and was probably the most widely used military rifle and calibre in history. Wartime production in both World Wars a little sloppy compared to those made in peacetime. 

Manufacturing and chambering tolerances varied considerably and I don't think anyone knows how many Marks of ammunition and variants of the same were produced. The rifle had to stand up to usage in just about every environment in the world, from the snows of northern Europe to the deserts of Africa and the tropical jungles of Malaya, and had to work reliably. It's still in service even today in several ex colonial countries. I've met a good number of different marks of the .303 rifle with tight chambers.

After the 100mph gales of last week, it is cold here now, it was -7 when I got up this morning. However it's only -3 in my living room. If it gets any colder I'll have to light the fire. lol.

Harry

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Start the fire Harry!      Joe.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Maurice Ottmar, since gone to his Great Reward, was one of the finest (IMO) gunsmith/stockmakers of the last century. He was a Guild smith, and built some of the best-looking rifles I've ever seen. I would not presume to question many of his choices, and the 25 Krag on a Borchardt is one that I consider to be as safe as any other cartridge that must be handloaded.

Please note: as safe as any other cartridge that must be handloaded.

In such a case, safety is totally dependent upon the practices of the handloader and IMO the action is a fairly minor factor in the overload equation, as long as the loader is knowledgeable and careful. Repeat: as long as the loader is knowledgeable and careful.

Yes, smokeless pressures can easily be double the BP pressures. So what? The only reason that pressures were lower back then was 'cause the BP simply wouldn't generate any higher pressures, not because the steel wouldn't stand it. True, the old steel has few if any alloying (strengthening) elements and so is normally case-hardened, but many of the modern SS actions are made from similar non-alloyed steels and are also case-hardened. Yes the old steel can be weaker but so can the new stuff.

Harry mentioned Sako rifles blowing up. This is true, and it was due to faulty barrel steel, could happen to any manufacturer who didn't take proper precautions with materials.

The much-vaunted European proof procedure didn't seem to help the Sako situation, did it?

I'll ask a very simple question: has anyone on this board ever seen or even heard of a Borchardt action blowing up or failing, in any way? Not saying it couldn't or hasn't already happened, just asking if anyone has ever seen it. I have my own theories as to the possible results but would welcome any hard information at all, since I've never read or heard of any sort of a Borchardt blowup of any kind other than primer piercing due to a non-bushed block.

John Buhmiller deliberately and repeatedly attempted to blow up a high wall, and only succeeded in blowing the firing pin out of the block even with the heaviest overloads. I personally consider the Borchardt to be stronger than the wall in every respect except possibly gas handling, and this lone area of concern is a function of the design rather than the age or the materials.

I don't limit the pressures in my Borchardts and high walls except the normal concern for flattening primers and swelling case heads & primer pockets. Like the man said in the Country song, "You keep going your way, and I'll keep going mine".
And of course YMMV, Joe

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Joe (JD, that is) I have indeed seen ONE cracked Borchardt action.  Unfortunately, I don't have the whole story, but it was a panel sided sporter action that somebody had built into a varmint rifle.  I don't know what they chambered it to or what they put in the chamber, but it cracked, IIRC right at the front of the panels, which would roughly correspond to the back of the block.  Sorry I don't have more details, but since it was seen for a while on the VA gun show circuit and there is a show this weekend, I'll try to find out.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

Mathsr
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the comments about the Borchardt action. I have decided to look for some other action for my 9.3x74. I would not want to have to load it down and something just doesn’t seem right, to me, about using a metric cartridge in a Sharps rifle. Thanks again for all the information.

Harry

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
JD,
Most European countries have their own Proof Houses but they don't all have a common standard. The British Proof house will only accept the Italian and Belgian Proofing as a standard equivalent to theirs.

I am not aware of any of the faulty Sako's being tested in British Proof Houses. I don't even know to which country that batch was dispatched, all I heard was that there was a very rapid facotry recall  after several barrels blew up on firing.

Froggy. 
The side panelled Borchardt are the weakest of all the Borchardt range, the front edge of the panel leaves very little metal behind the breech block buttresses and that's where it is most likely to giveway.

I've attached a picture of a Military Borchardt converted by Al Sledge, note that he cut the side panels deliberately shorter for that very reason, and this action was to be used with BP only.

Harry
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2007 at 7:02pm by »  

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Harry,
Not too sure about what you say - the proof of all proof houses member of and recognized by CIP would be valid in any of the member countries - meaning also France, Spain, Slovakia, Czechia, Chili, Finland, Austria, Hungaria and some others...  And they do proof to a common standard - i.e. a 30% pressure overload for the proof.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 7:55am
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Jan 27th, 2007 at 3:28am:
Harry,
Not too sure about what you say - the proof of all proof houses member of and recognized by CIP would be valid in any of the member countries - meaning also France, Spain, Slovakia, Czechia, Chili, Finland, Austria, Hungaria and some others...  And they do proof to a common standard - i.e. a 30% pressure overload for the proof.

Hello Gert,

Ooops, somebody sneaked that in when I wasn't looking. My apologies to all. I do note however, that our US friends are not listed in the International Proof Commission List. Presumably because they don't have a Proof House.

It is interesting to note that the Birmingham, England, Proof House will test handloaded ammunition in modern test barrels and supply velocity and more importantly the pressure resulting. I presume that only applies to current factory produced calibres? I canot seen any proof house having a test barrel for every obsolete or wildcat round ever made.

It would appear that there is opening in the US for some enterprising person to open a business doing some form of proof testing, if only for the proof testing of modified, home or gunsmith built rifles. It would certainly inspire some confidence in other shooters when someone turns up at the range with a .577 Tyranosaurus built on Stevens 'Crackshot' action, to know that it had passed some standard form of proof testing. Roll Eyes

Joking aside, I'm still of the opinion that old BP actions should only be modified or altered to take other BP cartridges. Pushing old actions too, or beyond their limits is always, IMO, rather risky.

Harry

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I doubt that a U.S. "proof house" would fly...too much history of personal/gunsmith and corporate responsibility to the buying public versus the English and European reliance on the "nanny state".  All that being said, I still "trust but verify" when I buy something other than a factory built rifle, unless I know the gunsmith who did the work.  And a .50 BMG necked down to shoot phonograph needles in a crumbling block action rifle is not my idea of a good time!   Wink

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #19 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Harry, 
didnt Britain convert a bunch of old martini 577/450 martini's to 303?

For use in Australia.

I installed a barrel in one for my dad about ten years ago. It had a bushed firing pin and seemed to be no worse for wear.

Woudnt those converted rifles require a reproof?   Either way, the proof houses 
or Great Britain seems to be at odds with your opinion.  

What kind and grade of wood are you planning on using on your Borchardt?                                                            Joe.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2007 at 5:05pm by westerner »  

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Hello Joe,

Yes there were thousands of Martini-Henry 577/450 rifles converted to .303 buy bushing the firing pin and rebarrelling them.

Remember though, that the early .303 cartridges were Black Powder.  and also, that the Martini Henry action was far stronger than than any other or nearly any other BP SS action in the world.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that the MH conversions were restricted to certain Marks of the .303 round, at least those in the posession of HM Armed Forces were. What civilians did with them may differ. They also had to pass proofing after either conversion or new manufacture.

The conversions were used by troops throughout the whole British Empire, not just Australia. It was a stop-gap weapon, whilst experiments and developement of the bolt action Lee Enfield was being made.

I plan to use Walnut for stocking, I don't think there is a finer wood for doing so. The quality will be the best my old age pension will stretch too,
which unfortunately is not a lot.  Cry

Harry

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #21 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Harry,
I must admit, trying to pin you down on this subject is harder than catching a greased pig!  
Your points are well taken.
I do find it interesting, that of all the failed actions in my neck of the woods, were chambered for black powder era rounds.
The Borchardt action Frogman mentioned is the only high power single shot I've heard of failing.  I'm sure there are more. 
I think if you dont make any more references to our beloved Crackshot Rifle's we could dig out some affordable wood.  
                                                                                      Joe.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 2:52am
Print Post  
FWIW, the original BP martini .303 round actually delivererd more pressure than the 1st cordite version - really!  Don't forget that one was of the compressed charge type, and gave quite respectable MV's for BP...   Most of the time, the limiting factor seems to be the steel used in manufacture, and the appropriate modern steels are certainly better suited for current higher pressures.   
The Martini does have one advantage for use with nitro - much safer with pierced primers or case ruptures.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 5:04am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 28th, 2007 at 7:17pm:
Harry,
I must admit, trying to pin you down on this subject is harder than catching a greased pig!  
Your points are well taken.
I do find it interesting, that of all the failed actions in my neck of the woods, were chambered for black powder era rounds.
The Borchardt action Frogman mentioned is the only high power single shot I've heard of failing.  I'm sure there are more. 
I think if you dont make any more references to our beloved Crackshot Rifle's we could dig out some affordable wood. 
Joe.

Hello Joe,

I am admittedly, a little more than pedantic when it comes to making perfectly good BP actions into potential hand grenades by converting them to take cartridges that didn't exist until years or even decades later, and which operate at much higher pressures than any round that the action was originally designed to accomodate.

The reports of actions coming violently apart are few, but there are possibly more than are actually reported. Few people would like to admit they made an error and suffer public embarrassement.

How many of those BP actions that gave way in your neck of the woods were publicised? Your use of the word 'All' indicates that there were several.

Blow ups are not restricted to just firearms, they happen to many manufactured things. We have all watched for example racing car engines blow up in races when pushed beyond their limit, aircraft both militay and civil, occasionally suffer metal fatigue and come apart. These examples illustrate that man is not infallable when designing mechanical objects.

Much as I love the Borchardt action, I don't think it can be describes as a High Power single shot action. I was as strong it needed to be for the large BP cartridges of the 1870's-1880's but not IMO for the high pressure white powder rounds of later decades.

I meant no offence to Crackshot Rifles or their owners, I cut my teeth on one of those over half a century ago. A very nice boys 'plinking' rifle, yet another action that shouldn't be considered for converting to any other calibre than it was originally made for. 

The original starter for this thread asked if a 9.3 x 74mm round was suitable to be used in an original Borchardt. IMO is isn't, hence my original reply. I haven't changed my mind. However, as the Bard once said. "Opinions are like A**holes, everbody has one".  Wink

Harry

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 5:10am
Print Post  
IMO the Borchardt should be perfectly OK for the 9.3x74R.  Harry, just because it uses smokeless powder it is not a particularly high pressure cartridge in factory loads.  It was designed, I believe before World War I, for top break single shot and double barrel rifles and combination guns that were and are a lot weaker than a Borchardt.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:30am
Print Post  
What Vigillinus said, and plenty of it.
JMO, Joe

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I have to agree with v and J.D. I know two guys who own, and shoot, Borchardt based 9.3x74R's, and have done so for 20+ years. Both rifles were built by the late Luft brothers, of Spokane, WA, and are very finely made, works of art. The x74R is a pretty tame round, pressure wise, given it's break action gun origens, as has already been noted.

Jeff

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Now it occurs to me to wonder exactly why I, JKS and AKJ are sitting at our computers on a Saturday fooling around with our favorite BS subject instead of being out shooting !!!!

Let me add to AKJ's remark that I have two Luft Borchardts that, I am sorry to say, I have never fired.  One is in .280 Remington, stocked by them, and, to quote AKJ, it is a "work of art".  Purchased at a Rock Island auction several years ago together with a Luft Stevens 44 1/2 in .222 Remington, also a remarkable rifle.  The other Sharps has their metalwork, Hobaugh long barrel in .45-120-550, paneled action, original long range sights spirit level and all, stocks by Hubalek in prone smallbore style, Iver Henricksen blued it.  All made for me in 1967, Elmer Keith suggested them to me.  Good advice. And a 52 semi sporter .22 worked over by them.   They were immensely talented and are not nearly as well known as they should be.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I'm afraid we must agree to disagree, as I said in an earlier post, everyone has their own opinions.

The mention of he late Elmer Keith brought back memories of when he was developing the .44 Magnum pistol round. I also remember a lot of .44 special revolvers were blown apart by people who thought they were strong enough to take the new round. All that they needed was a cylinder rechambering job, or so many shooters believed.

It's your perogative to have your rifles chambered in any calibre you want. But please excuse me if I don't stand beside you when you squeeze the trigger.

Harry

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Harry that is how I feel about low number 103 Springfields.  But there are quite a number of people of what seem to be reasonable intelligence, who shoot them quite cheerfully.

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #30 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
v,

I suspect that when you shoot your Luft rifles, you'll be quite pleased. Both of my friends still shoot/hunt their rifles. I've had the pleasure of shooting one of them several times. I totally agree; the Luft's built first class guns. The tang safety conversion, and trigger on these rifles are just superb. 

Jeff

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
Harry that is how I feel about low number 103 Springfields.  But there are quite a number of people of what seem to be reasonable intelligence, who shoot them quite cheerfully.

Hello Vigillinus,

As I understand it, some batches of early production 03 Springfield actions were incorrectly heat treated and were as brittle as glass, and many blew up on firing. Given that these mass produced actions were heat treated in batches it is possible that the failures were down to one or two individuals who were, perhaps, not au fait with the correct proceedures. Other batches may have been o/k. 

Possibly your friends rifles were built from the correctly heat treated actions. I know there are, or were, warnings about using such actions below a certain serial number.

In using 03 actions that are in the suspect serial number range, it's very much a case of; "You pays your money and takes your chances".

Harry 

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 5:17am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 5th, 2007 at 2:44am:
Old Borchardts never die.  They are lovingly gathered up and 
rerezerecticated into eye candy for firearms enthusiasts. 
This is my dear rifle. I'm not going to hang it on the wall.  This Sharps was Maurice Ottmars class project when he went to school in Trinidad CO.  Not bad for a class project.    Joe.

Joe, 
I've nothing against old actions (especially Borchardts) being restored  to shooting condition, provided it is done with respect for the age and strength of the action, and they are not pushed into accepting cartridges they weren't designed for.

Todays shooters now have the advantage of buying Borchardt actions from two current U.S. manufacturers who make them of modern steels. These should be capable of taking most modern (white powder) rounds.
(the manufacturers will probably advise on the range of cartridges they will be suitable for). 

Given the current price of an original Borchardt action in good condition, and the amount of money some people are willing to spend on their customisation or restoration projects, the modern reproduction actions are not all that much more expensive, and could, in some instances, be even cheaper.

I sincerely hope your Borchardt holds together for as long as you can use it, it's a beautiful looking rifle. My own Borchardt copy when it's finished will be chambered for the 45/90 cartridge and it will be BP only despite being made of modern steel.

Harry

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 11:52am
Print Post  
The early low-number Springfield 1903 receivers were heat-treated by eye, judging the colors by the ambient light, and some of them ended up being 'burnt' and were much too brittle.

However, very few if any ever blew up while firing a normal load.

The receivers cracked for a variety of reasons but the two main problems were the use of greased ammunition and subjecting the receivers to a shock load on the side such as dropping them. This subject has been researched exhaustively and little or no evidence has been found of failures when not abusing the rifles.

The early jacketed bullets used cupro-nickel jackets which fouled the bores excessively and the soldiers found that greasing the bullet noses decreased the fouling, making barrel clean-up much easier. Of course the grease migrated to the walls of the chamber and greatly increased the bolt thrust as well as providing a bore obstruction in some cases, and problems resulted. The resulting poor reputation of the early receivers was exacerbated by the shock-load drop failures and the occasional AD caused by a cracked striker rod, and continues to this day. I no longer possess a low-number 1903 but have fired my old Sedgley many many times in the past and would not hesitate to do so again if I ever got it back. These rifles are weaker than the later ones but have proven to be safe with any normal load.

Lotta old wive's tales out there, some are true but others have become exaggerated over the years. An interesting corollary is to be found in the recent issues of The Double Gun (and Single Shot Rifle) Journal, in the series of articles intitled "Finding Out For Myself" by Sherman Bell. The author has tested a number of old side-by-side shotguns, some with damascus barrels and some with fluid steel barrels, and found essentially no difference between them. His tests included actual Proof loads as well as definitive before-&-after measurements of the locking dimensions. The pressures in his tests reached a high of close to 30K psi which is ~ 3 times normal, before any measurable change resulted, and no barrels failed.

That's worth repeating: no barrels failed, at all, at all.

So what about the dreaded weakness of the damascus shotgun? Bah Humbug is the result of Bell's actual testing, and I agree.

When I see on the one hand a lotta third-hand anecdotal horror stories and on the other hand a lotta uneventful actual experience, I'll go with the actual experience every time. So I guess I'll keep on shooting my old single shot rifles and damascus shotguns for a while longer.
But as always YMMV, good luck, Joe

PS: I hasten to add that I've altered my damascus shotguns to have full-length chambers and long forcing cones 'cause I believe the early short chambers and cones caused a lot of problems that were attributed to the damascus steel instead of the (pressure-raising) tight dimensions.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #34 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Hello Harry, old steel, new steel, They can all be wrecked.

I sat down with pen and paper the other night. I know of eight rifle's wrecked In my area in the last twenty two years. One low wall, one Hepburn, one Sharps, five Ballards. 

All were chambered for blackpowder era cartridges. Two were made of modern steels.   

One of the more interesting failures was a new made Ballard . The cause was never detemined. It was chambered in 45/70 or 90. It was never shot with smokeless.  Black powder and lead bullets only.

I believe new steels are better than old steels. 

I dont know how modern manufacturers determine grain structure in new steels before machining. 

I do know however the grain structure in a vintage single shot rifle if it was forged. In some rifles it can be seen.   
The design of the action is what determines strength to a greater degree than the steel used. 

People make mistake's it's a fact we live with.  People learn by making mistakes.   
I prefer to trust people and live with the mistakes.   

Joe.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Hello Westener,
westerner wrote on Feb 5th, 2007 at 12:23pm:
Hello Harry, old steel, new steel, They can all be wrecked.
I agree.

I sat down with pen and paper the other night. I know of eight rifle's wrecked In my area in the last twenty two years. One low wall, one Hepburn, one Sharps, five Ballards. 

All were chambered for blackpowder era cartridges. Two were made of modern steels.  

One of the more interesting failures was a new made Ballard . The cause was never detemined. It was chambered in 45/70 or 90. It was never shot with smokeless.  Black powder and lead bullets only.

A pity that no in depth investigations took place as to why these rifles gave up the ghost.

I believe new steels are better than old steels. 
I agree again, better steel technology and far superior temperature control during hardening or other heat treatment processes, plus analysis of test samples.

I dont know how modern manufacturers determine grain structure in new steels before machining.

I honestly don't know if they do. It's more likely the manufacturer does that on test samples taken on each production run. When I worked in engineering the company I worked for produced steam turbines for ships and power stations. Metals came in the door from the manufacturers and was used often within minutes or arrival. I do know there was a lot of testing done after machining and heat treatment 

I do know however the grain structure in a vintage single shot rifle if it was forged. In some rifles it can be seen. 

To see grain structure, you need very specialised and expensive equipment, it's certainly not visible to the mark 1 eyeball, or at least my eyeballs.

The design of the action is what determines strength to a greater degree than the steel used. 

I'll give you that as well, a good design can be made poorer by slight alterations e.g. The High Wall design was weakened by reducing the amount of metal behind the breech block when the Low Wall was made out of it. The design is essentially the same, it was just the amount of metal removed to save weight that made the Low Wall a weaker action.

People make mistake's it's a fact we live with.  People learn by making mistakes.  
I prefer to trust people and live with the mistakes. Joe.

I agree people do make mistakes, we all do, but I try to learn from the mistakes of others wherever possible, it's often less painful or lethal than making the same mistakes yourself. 

Harry

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #36 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Harry, 

Of the eight rifle failures, only the new made ballard remain's a mystery. All the other one's were human error. 

Three failed with smokeless, five failed with black. 
Three overcharges, four barrel obstructions and one  unknown.

A tool and die maker or anyone with experience in drop forging can tell the flow of metal before it is even forged. I mean flow, or grain. as in stress proof steel that has a known grain direction. Martensite cannot be seen. Except by Superman, He could do it.

I dont know if modern billet steel is marked at the rolling mill to indicate it's grain, or rolled direction. It would be easy to tell at the mill. A different story once its cut into pieces and shipped. I dont know if heat treating modern steel changes that.                                                                                                 Very good steel was being produced in Germany England and the US when the Borchardt was made. 

Modern steel's should be better. Manufacturing techniques can effect the steels performance. ( forged vs cast or billet ). I have in the past, ordered steel that required a spec sheet. I alway's wondered if I really got what was ordered. Some supplier's comply with a snear. With steels's coming from all over the world and the low bidder system at work, well, I just wonder sometime's.   

Mistakes are also made in modern manufacturing.  

It makes no difference, new or old it can be wrecked. 
                                                                                 Joe.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2007 at 2:14am by westerner »  

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Hello Westerner,
Thanks for the info on the damaged rifles, As you say, it appears to be human error. An all embracing term to cover a multitude of sins.

Like you I have never seen steel billets marked with references to grain flow and only rarely have seen 'spec sheets' on their make up. When a steel arrives from a supplier you have no knowledge as to whether it's freshly smelted from raw components or remanufactured from scrap metal.

I cannot comment on drop forging as I have only seen it being performed from a distance, not close to. According to DeHaas, Borchardt receivers were drop forged. It's certainly a way of getting metal close to the desired shape before final machining and definately cuts down on the amount of waste material produced. Whether drop forging is an advantage over machining from solid stock is debatable, the different production methods each produce differing types of stresses in the metal. Theoretically these should be removed by stress relieving.

It's a great pity that no one ever documented the individual production processes involved in the manufacture of these old single shots. I would make very interesting reading indeed. I have little doubt that the better gun manufacturers of the late 1800's used the best steels available to them, most had a reputation to uphold. Modern steels should be better, but it is difficult to prove.

Steel specifications are a nightmare with various countries having different ways of classifying them. Trying to make comparisons is often difficult and be no means foolproof and many steel types have fallen by the wayside, especially in the British/European attempt to standardise specification.

With the demise of many of the British gun manufacturers, Parker-Hale, Webly, BSA, etc, the demands for certain steels dropped so low that many steel manufacturers simply stopped making them as the demand was to small to justify their manufacture. This was a problem when I started buying the materials to make my copy of the Borchardt Action.

Eventually I managed to get the particular steel (an EN specification) I required by going to a specialist metal supplier. It was only available in 8" dia hot rolled steel billets. Fortunately the stockist was willing to cut slices of the required thickness. This came with details of where and when the steel was produced, the original cast number, billet number and an analysis of the constituants of the material. The first and only time I have obtained any metal with such detailed specs.

Usually steel stockists here have their steels colour coded according to the specification, by applying paint to the end of each piece of metal, all it takes is someone to make an error with the paint brush and you could end up with the wrong steel. 

When my rifle is finished it will be proofed by the Birmingham Proof House. Only then will I be fairly sure that the steel used, my methods of manufacture and the heat treatment all worked out correctly, and no mistakes were made.

Your right, mistakes can be made by anyone, we just have to try and eliminate as many of them as possible.

Harry

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 10:39am
Print Post  
All else being equal, a drop-forged part is generally considered to be noticeably stronger than an identical piece machined from a billet. At least that's what they atttempted to teach us up at the state cow-&-chicken school back in the '60s. Seems that I remember something about the grain structure being aligned and compressed, with the fibers tending to bundle together to strengthen one another instead of being cut in the machining process. But, I'm certainly not a metallurgist............

Specification sheets are available for most any steel made in the US and I'm sure that's true in other parts of the world as well. The reason I say this is because of my experience in the nuclear business, where each and every component in the Power Block must have these proofs on file and available for inspection & signoff. We called these records 'mill certs' (certifications from the various manufacturers) and all nuclear component had to have these proofs available for each and every stage of the manufacturing process no matter how many stages there were. IOW there was a piece of paper from the mine, another (several, usually) from the railroad(s) or barge line(s), another from the smeltery, another from the rolling mill, another from the heat treater, another from........but you get the idea.

Of course these elaborate record-keeping requirements are much more stringent in the nuclear business but similar mill certs are generated for each batch of steel made in any civilised country, for ease of tracking and proof of responsibility in the manufacturing process in case of liability. I know from personal experience that the suppliers charge an extra fee for supplying this paperwork and I don't think that they specify the direction of grain flow if any, the user is assumed to have enough sense to be able to determine this for himself based upon the method of production and the shape of the billet. It ain't rocket science.

In my experience the grain flow of a forged part is visible under three curcumstances: the first is when it is red-hot, almost white-hot, just out of the forge blocks; another circumstance is when it is being torn apart since it usually tears in the longitudinal direction, that is, aligned with the fiber flow; and the third circumstance is when some sort of oxidation has altered the surface finish of the steel and thus served as contrast for the fibers. Not saying these are the only three curcumstances, only saying that this is what I've observed personally.
FWIW, regards, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Quote:
and the third circumstance is when some sort of oxidation has altered the surface finish of the steel and thus served as contrast for the fibers.

Joe,
What does one actually look for? I've rust blued a lot of steel and never seen anything that could be called grain, much less fiber.  Seems like this would be an ideal surface for observing grain, but I don't know what to look for.  Looks damn homogenous to me.   

Brent

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #40 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
There are a couple of conditions that will create or cause grain to show up in metals. One of the most common in forged material is improper or incomplete anealing or normalizing. In this case the material is in a phase change and has not completed going thru it and is cooled either too fast or improperly. When hardening carbon steels the carbon goes thru a change from martinsite to pearlite condition. (Now I may have these two terms backwards as I tend to do this) In any case if the material to be hardened has not  "Soaked" at the critical temperature long enough to be completely changed, or it is not cooled properly for it's chemistry. Air hardened, water hardened, oil hardened Etc. The carbon can get caught in both stages of phase change. The Carbon does not like this condition and tries forever to go one way or the other. This can and will show itself as stress lines or strain growth. I have observed this in Hiwalls that cover the whole range of manufacturing, from early first year production to late Winder Musket recievers. Usually it shows as a gentle curve line in the reciever along the length on the side and sometimes both sides just above the Lower Tang screw holes. And it won't polish out. Sometimes you can disguise it by Surface Grinding. But it may show up again when case colored or blued. I also have seen it on a Sharps Borchardt Military. I own. The Stress lines are so deep and pronounced as to make you feel it has been hacked at with a coarse tool of some type. But examination under a Microscope shows it to have just "Grown there" I worked in the Mold making business for twenty seven years making Optical molds for camera's. We found that the best steel for the optical surface was Carpenter 420F. it is a fine grained free machining material that will heat treat to 50-52 Rc. It also will take a really fine optical surface using optical generating and polishing methods. BUT, it must be cut across the grain of round diameter bar stock. If the part is made from stock where the grain is not at 90 degree's from the optical surface the rolling mill forge lines would jump right out at you. And the component would be junk, not fit for use. As to heat treat strength of mild or low carbon steels. When i was going to school we did a material strength test on low carbon (Cold Rolled) steel. I made a bunch of test samples all out of the same bar. some we heat treated by taking them up to 1550 Deg Fareinhieght and quenching them in water. We then set the sample up in a Universal Testing machine designed to pull, push, squash things to destruction. We calculated the ultimate strength of the unheat treated samples at 110,000 Lbs/ square inch. and when tested they yielded and necked right at those figures. The heat treated sample that still were the same hardness as the others  (About 25 Rc) were significantly stronger. Their yeild strength was up around 130,000
Lbs/in squared. The instructor said this was a result of the grain structure being aligned as a result of the heat treat.
On another note as to the strength of actions. Most of our better Single Shot rifles derive their strength not so much from the material as from the robust Design. If you look hard at the Hiwall, the Borchardt, the Rem Hepburn and maybe even the Stevens 44 1/2 you will see that they have as much or even more surface area supporting the breech block than many modern Bolt guns. The Rem Hepburn may be the strongest as many of them were built with some very sophisticated materials. Well enough for now, Regards, FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #41 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
One way to see the grain structure is to polish the material and apply an acid. Sorry,  EmbarrassedI don't recall what acid we used.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Brent, FITZ & notlwonk have described what I mistakenly attributed to oxidation. All the cases I've observed were guns that had rusted to some degree, and so I assumed...........But the condition FITZ detailed is an exact description of the condition I've observed, and so I figure that his explanation is the correct one for what I've seen.

It's been my experience that a good rust blue job will hide a lotta imperfections, that's one reason that folks acid-etch damascus bbls to better show the contrast.

(to digress for a moment, I'm consulting with the hammer man even as we speak so just be patient.....)
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Joe tell the hammer man it would have probably saved me 10 pts last night.  Patience is not my strong suit to be sure Sad

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Brent, it's all in your mind, Harry Pope didn't need no stinkin' high-tech hammer! 'Course I did hear that he practiced 50 rds/day.........
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
My mind would rest easier if it knew my rifle was quicker - and I think Henry probably lied about that practicing bit just about like everything else - just to keep the competition off is his tail.  Wink   

Meanwhile, I have to git on down the basement and excersize my air rifle....
Brent

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Then again, there are those rifles without a hammer....    Cheesy

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 7:14am
Print Post  
You mean bolt actions?  There are levels to which I just cannot stoop.  Wink

I guess I'd rather lose and look good than win ugly  Grin
Brent

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 7:26am
Print Post  
No, bolt actgions is just carrying it too far - after all, any decent rifle has a block for lockup...  Bolts are for doors.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Fitz,
Can annealing an old action like a Sharps or Borchardt before polishing eliminate that dreaded carbon or is it too late?  I had this question on the gunsmithing thread which I think is the same as what you fellas are talking about here.  Thanks Bob Saathoff

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:14am:
Fitz,
Can annealing an old action like a Sharps or Borchardt before polishing eliminate that dreaded carbon or is it too late?  I had this question on the gunsmithing thread which I think is the same as what you fellas are talking about here.  Thanks Bob Saathoff

Bob,
Annealing will 'cook out' the surface carbon present from the original case hardening, but it won't remove any carbon impurities placed within the metal during the original smelting of the steel. These are likely to be present all the way through the action.

Harry

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #51 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Old Win, if your action does not show any evidence of stress or Grain growth it is probably OK. I believe that many of the older actions that do show it were Forged improperly and then not Normalized afterwards.
If you had a piece of steel that had inclusions in the material it was either forged in or cast in or rolled in. The rolled in condition was described as "Cold Shunts" The end of a bar in the rolling Mill that was connected in the Mill to the next one creating a seam. These were obvious at the Mill and were usually cut off as two foot or longer pieces and recycled back into the Mill. But some would ocasionally get through. Cast in would be much the same as casting bullets and some dross or dirty material gets caught in the pour and is imbedded in the bullet. Forged in would occur when the man handling the blank under the Hammer turned or laid it in the die incorrectly and rolled an excessive piece of material over and then forged it over so it disappeared in the raw forging. This created a joint or seam in the material. Most of these would be caught in the first machining operation when they slabbed the "Skin" off the forging, but if it was suttle enough it might escape detection. By the way I do not know of or ever heard of an action failing due to these conditions. Just that if it is very obvious and you are sensitive about looks you are always aware of it and think everyone else also notices. My MilitaryBorchardt is ugly as heck with the deep scars on it. But it is a really fine shooter. In fact the freind that owned it for twenty years campaigned it in the Military SS musket matches here in New England and won so routinely that it was eventually ruled off the line in the Black Powder Musket matches in New Hampshire so the Trapdoors would have a chance. If you have the condition a good smith can surface grind the sides lightly and it will disappear. But it may show up again if you have the action Color Case Hardened or even in a good Hot Blue. Hth, Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:19pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 4:30am
Print Post  
An interesting picture MP. Let me hazzard a guess. A Zischang Mid Range Borchardt with DST's and a take down barrel, or a damn good copy?

The flaw in the middle of the frame would appear to be what Fitz described as a fold in the metal formed during the drop forging process.

Is there any reason that you know of, why there is a centre cocking plate screw? it's usually a press fit locating pin in that position.

Harry.

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
“Let me hazard a guess. A Zischang Mid Range Borchardt with DST's and a take down barrel, or a damn good copy?”

A Zischang .32-40. 

”The flaw in the middle of the frame would appear to be what Fitz described as a fold in the metal formed during the drop forging process.” 

I’ve seen these in about every single-shot made, I always look a them as strictly cosmetic.

”Is there any reason that you know of, why there is a centre cocking plate screw? it's usually a press fit locating pin in that position.” 

The majority of Zischang-Borchardts I have seen have the pin replaced with a screw.   

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Such flaws may be common,but it seems darn strange that it would be in a custom gun by a famous maker.  I wonder why he did not get another action for that sort of work?

Are there any advantages to the screw vs pin?

Brent

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #56 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Brent,

The action was probably fine when it left the shop.  The take down pin at the front of the receiver that aligns with the bottom of the barrel shank is tapered. If it is driven in to hard, it can and probably did crack the action. If memory serves me correctly , this rifle was up for bids A while back. In the auction description they describe the crack. I cant remember what was written. I'd have to look it up.        Joe.

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I believe they referred to it as “Stress fracture”, (we might call it a crack Wink) how deep I don’t know but looks bad, the other side looks perfect.  I have handled several rifles with the streaking on them and they all appeared, even under magnification, to be on the surface.  An x-ray of this Borchardt might be interesting; I’ve not had this one in my hand.  If I remember it sold for 10K.

Regarding the pin or screw, there is a Zischang here in town with the center screw and if I can talk the owner into pulling it apart we might learn why he used a screw.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:35pm by »  

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #58 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
MP, that stress crack is much like the one in my Military Borchardt only a lot less. Mine is much heavier and there are two or three laddered up and down. When I first got this Rifle I was concerned and disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly so I could examine the inside under a microscope. No sign of the stress lines inside anywhere. I am not even sure it can properly be called a  "Crack" it just looks like it grew there. I agree with you that it probably was not even there when it left Zischang. These things do evolve over time. And due to the up and down activity in Schuetzen shooting many of these Rifles were parked in Rifle racks or stored out of sight for many years. The fact that mine has one leads me to believe it is a forging issue at least in Borchardts. I have gone at a Military action with a file and they are Buttersoft. I mean really soft. No sign of any significant heat treat at all. I was trying to see what it would take to trim down the reciever lines as Zischang did with files. Well I started out with a coarse file, it gummed up. Switched to a coarser one. Material still came off too easy. Ended up using a Auto Body Single cut curved rasp, the type they use for cleaning off bondo and such. The Metal just peeled off. like I was a manual milling machine. I was astounded at how soft this reciever was. It showed no evidence of having been annealed in any way. It had been used as a Barn door stop for many years and is basicly junk. I intend some day to make up Zischang style set triggers and this action will be my test mule for modification design and fitting up. It is interesting when you consider how many of the Military actions got modified into modern high pressure calibers. I have a Borchardt military action in .219 Imp Zipper and shoot top end loads with so far no evidence of issues. HTH, Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #59 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Fitz,

Like you, I have a military Borchardt, that has been "sporterized" to .219 Zip Imp. In my case, it's an A.L.. Hartung built rifle. Mine seems to be no worse for wear as well, and  is a real shooter. Who built your rifle? I have not put a file to mine, and don't intend to, as it's in very nice condition.

Jeff

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Fitz,

My experience mirrors your own.  The Borchardt military rifles can be cut with a knife. To the best of my knowledge they were never hardened like the sporting rifles.  My long-range Borchardt started life as a military rifle and was case-hardened after conversion. My friend who did the work on mine and many others say they (military) are like that. 

MP

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #61 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
MP, Xrays are expensive.  A simple dye penatrant test and a brass hammer will get the job done.      Or drive the takedown pin out and look to see if the ( crack ) extends into the pin bore hole. The same could be done on the broach access hole and cam locating pin hole      . The stocks could also be removed to see if the ( crack ) extends into those sections of the action.                                                                                                                                         Joe.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:45pm by westerner »  

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #62 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
akJeff, the one I took the file to was a barn door stop, no value lost there. The .219 Imp I have came on an original Long Range action and Stock. There is no Barrel maker indicated. The Rifle was the property of William Brophy of Springfield Arsenal fame. He wrote two or three books on the Arsenal's history. I met him a few times at The Hartford Ct. shows. Anyhow on buying the rifle at auction I brought it home and disassembled it. As I owned a Long Range Barrel and forend. The .219 barrel sat around for a couple of years and I needed a Varmint rifle so I screwed it into a Military action an installed a breech block with a high pressure firing pin conversion and have been shooting it ever since. I am sure a Hartung built rifle is a joy. Well enough for now. Regards, FITZ Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Hartung is mentioned in CS Landis' book on Varmint Rifles, there is a photo of least one of them, a HiWall with one piece stock.

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #64 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info, Fitz and v. I've been looking for a copy Landis' book(s), as I've heard that he mentioned Hartung. Guess I'll have to kick up my efforts, and get his books in hand.

Regards,

Jeff

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:57am
Print Post  
AKJEFF,
Try (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Type in the authors name in the authors box in this format:-  Landis, C.S. and click on search. There's at least three of his titles on shooting the .22's and other works. Just scroll down till you find them, there's a total of three pages. Pick a title and a price to fit your wallet.

Just be sure of the right title before you buy.

Harry

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #66 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks Harry!!!! Have never been to that web site. 

Regards,

Jeff

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
The Albert Hartung one piece stock High Wall is written up at pp. 176-180, photo p. 163, of CS Landis, Woodchucks and Woodchuck Rifles.  I tracked this rifle down several years ago, to Virginia as I recall, and it was changed to a .30-30 and the owner was using cast bullets.

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Jeff,

The Landis books (five) are worth having but if you can narrow it down to which book I’ll copy the info for you.   I looked in the only copy with “Varmint” in the title and don’t see his name in the index, of course it could be in the book.  I seem to remember a full stocked high-wall rifle in Simmons book but can’t find my copy.  Mark, can you help us out here?

Good work you were posting while I was writing Wink.  I'll check it out. 

Jeff,  No real info on Hartung, just covers the work he did on this one rifle, if you want, stop by someday and borrow the book.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2007 at 4:24pm by »  

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
MP, I can't find my copy of Simmons either.  I did buy a one piece stock HiWall recently from Dick Simmons, Jr., 

had no idea it was in his dad's book.

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
MP, I can't find my copy of Simmons either.  I did buy a one piece stock HiWall recently from Dick Simmons, Jr., 

had no idea it was in his dad's book.

Well we won't know until one of us finds our book Wink.  Might be I remember this because of the rifle you just bought and that's were the Simmons reference come from.

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #71 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks all, and thanks Michael, I'll surely try to visit, when I get some home time, and thumb through those books; really appreciate that.

Also, the recent piece you did on the Neidner underlever was terrific! We should all be blessed by having a "Cowboy" pass through our lives. Great story, that just further shows what fine people you can run across, in the firearms scene.

Regards,

Jeff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint