Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Old Borchardt (Read 44163 times)
Brent
Ex Member

Re: Old Borchardt
Reply #45 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
My mind would rest easier if it knew my rifle was quicker - and I think Henry probably lied about that practicing bit just about like everything else - just to keep the competition off is his tail.  Wink   

Meanwhile, I have to git on down the basement and excersize my air rifle....
Brent

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Then again, there are those rifles without a hammer....    Cheesy

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 7:14am
Print Post  
You mean bolt actions?  There are levels to which I just cannot stoop.  Wink

I guess I'd rather lose and look good than win ugly  Grin
Brent

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 7:26am
Print Post  
No, bolt actgions is just carrying it too far - after all, any decent rifle has a block for lockup...  Bolts are for doors.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Fitz,
Can annealing an old action like a Sharps or Borchardt before polishing eliminate that dreaded carbon or is it too late?  I had this question on the gunsmithing thread which I think is the same as what you fellas are talking about here.  Thanks Bob Saathoff

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:14am:
Fitz,
Can annealing an old action like a Sharps or Borchardt before polishing eliminate that dreaded carbon or is it too late?  I had this question on the gunsmithing thread which I think is the same as what you fellas are talking about here.  Thanks Bob Saathoff

Bob,
Annealing will 'cook out' the surface carbon present from the original case hardening, but it won't remove any carbon impurities placed within the metal during the original smelting of the steel. These are likely to be present all the way through the action.

Harry

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #51 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Old Win, if your action does not show any evidence of stress or Grain growth it is probably OK. I believe that many of the older actions that do show it were Forged improperly and then not Normalized afterwards.
If you had a piece of steel that had inclusions in the material it was either forged in or cast in or rolled in. The rolled in condition was described as "Cold Shunts" The end of a bar in the rolling Mill that was connected in the Mill to the next one creating a seam. These were obvious at the Mill and were usually cut off as two foot or longer pieces and recycled back into the Mill. But some would ocasionally get through. Cast in would be much the same as casting bullets and some dross or dirty material gets caught in the pour and is imbedded in the bullet. Forged in would occur when the man handling the blank under the Hammer turned or laid it in the die incorrectly and rolled an excessive piece of material over and then forged it over so it disappeared in the raw forging. This created a joint or seam in the material. Most of these would be caught in the first machining operation when they slabbed the "Skin" off the forging, but if it was suttle enough it might escape detection. By the way I do not know of or ever heard of an action failing due to these conditions. Just that if it is very obvious and you are sensitive about looks you are always aware of it and think everyone else also notices. My MilitaryBorchardt is ugly as heck with the deep scars on it. But it is a really fine shooter. In fact the freind that owned it for twenty years campaigned it in the Military SS musket matches here in New England and won so routinely that it was eventually ruled off the line in the Black Powder Musket matches in New Hampshire so the Trapdoors would have a chance. If you have the condition a good smith can surface grind the sides lightly and it will disappear. But it may show up again if you have the action Color Case Hardened or even in a good Hot Blue. Hth, Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 4:30am
Print Post  
An interesting picture MP. Let me hazzard a guess. A Zischang Mid Range Borchardt with DST's and a take down barrel, or a damn good copy?

The flaw in the middle of the frame would appear to be what Fitz described as a fold in the metal formed during the drop forging process.

Is there any reason that you know of, why there is a centre cocking plate screw? it's usually a press fit locating pin in that position.

Harry.

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
“Let me hazard a guess. A Zischang Mid Range Borchardt with DST's and a take down barrel, or a damn good copy?”

A Zischang .32-40. 

”The flaw in the middle of the frame would appear to be what Fitz described as a fold in the metal formed during the drop forging process.” 

I’ve seen these in about every single-shot made, I always look a them as strictly cosmetic.

”Is there any reason that you know of, why there is a centre cocking plate screw? it's usually a press fit locating pin in that position.” 

The majority of Zischang-Borchardts I have seen have the pin replaced with a screw.   

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Such flaws may be common,but it seems darn strange that it would be in a custom gun by a famous maker.  I wonder why he did not get another action for that sort of work?

Are there any advantages to the screw vs pin?

Brent

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #56 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Brent,

The action was probably fine when it left the shop.  The take down pin at the front of the receiver that aligns with the bottom of the barrel shank is tapered. If it is driven in to hard, it can and probably did crack the action. If memory serves me correctly , this rifle was up for bids A while back. In the auction description they describe the crack. I cant remember what was written. I'd have to look it up.        Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I believe they referred to it as “Stress fracture”, (we might call it a crack Wink) how deep I don’t know but looks bad, the other side looks perfect.  I have handled several rifles with the streaking on them and they all appeared, even under magnification, to be on the surface.  An x-ray of this Borchardt might be interesting; I’ve not had this one in my hand.  If I remember it sold for 10K.

Regarding the pin or screw, there is a Zischang here in town with the center screw and if I can talk the owner into pulling it apart we might learn why he used a screw.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:35pm by »  

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #58 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
MP, that stress crack is much like the one in my Military Borchardt only a lot less. Mine is much heavier and there are two or three laddered up and down. When I first got this Rifle I was concerned and disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly so I could examine the inside under a microscope. No sign of the stress lines inside anywhere. I am not even sure it can properly be called a  "Crack" it just looks like it grew there. I agree with you that it probably was not even there when it left Zischang. These things do evolve over time. And due to the up and down activity in Schuetzen shooting many of these Rifles were parked in Rifle racks or stored out of sight for many years. The fact that mine has one leads me to believe it is a forging issue at least in Borchardts. I have gone at a Military action with a file and they are Buttersoft. I mean really soft. No sign of any significant heat treat at all. I was trying to see what it would take to trim down the reciever lines as Zischang did with files. Well I started out with a coarse file, it gummed up. Switched to a coarser one. Material still came off too easy. Ended up using a Auto Body Single cut curved rasp, the type they use for cleaning off bondo and such. The Metal just peeled off. like I was a manual milling machine. I was astounded at how soft this reciever was. It showed no evidence of having been annealed in any way. It had been used as a Barn door stop for many years and is basicly junk. I intend some day to make up Zischang style set triggers and this action will be my test mule for modification design and fitting up. It is interesting when you consider how many of the Military actions got modified into modern high pressure calibers. I have a Borchardt military action in .219 Imp Zipper and shoot top end loads with so far no evidence of issues. HTH, Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #59 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Fitz,

Like you, I have a military Borchardt, that has been "sporterized" to .219 Zip Imp. In my case, it's an A.L.. Hartung built rifle. Mine seems to be no worse for wear as well, and  is a real shooter. Who built your rifle? I have not put a file to mine, and don't intend to, as it's in very nice condition.

Jeff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint