Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Old Borchardt (Read 44161 times)
harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Old Borchardt
Reply #15 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
JD,
Most European countries have their own Proof Houses but they don't all have a common standard. The British Proof house will only accept the Italian and Belgian Proofing as a standard equivalent to theirs.

I am not aware of any of the faulty Sako's being tested in British Proof Houses. I don't even know to which country that batch was dispatched, all I heard was that there was a very rapid facotry recall  after several barrels blew up on firing.

Froggy. 
The side panelled Borchardt are the weakest of all the Borchardt range, the front edge of the panel leaves very little metal behind the breech block buttresses and that's where it is most likely to giveway.

I've attached a picture of a Military Borchardt converted by Al Sledge, note that he cut the side panels deliberately shorter for that very reason, and this action was to be used with BP only.

Harry
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2007 at 7:02pm by »  

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Harry,
Not too sure about what you say - the proof of all proof houses member of and recognized by CIP would be valid in any of the member countries - meaning also France, Spain, Slovakia, Czechia, Chili, Finland, Austria, Hungaria and some others...  And they do proof to a common standard - i.e. a 30% pressure overload for the proof.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 7:55am
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Jan 27th, 2007 at 3:28am:
Harry,
Not too sure about what you say - the proof of all proof houses member of and recognized by CIP would be valid in any of the member countries - meaning also France, Spain, Slovakia, Czechia, Chili, Finland, Austria, Hungaria and some others...  And they do proof to a common standard - i.e. a 30% pressure overload for the proof.

Hello Gert,

Ooops, somebody sneaked that in when I wasn't looking. My apologies to all. I do note however, that our US friends are not listed in the International Proof Commission List. Presumably because they don't have a Proof House.

It is interesting to note that the Birmingham, England, Proof House will test handloaded ammunition in modern test barrels and supply velocity and more importantly the pressure resulting. I presume that only applies to current factory produced calibres? I canot seen any proof house having a test barrel for every obsolete or wildcat round ever made.

It would appear that there is opening in the US for some enterprising person to open a business doing some form of proof testing, if only for the proof testing of modified, home or gunsmith built rifles. It would certainly inspire some confidence in other shooters when someone turns up at the range with a .577 Tyranosaurus built on Stevens 'Crackshot' action, to know that it had passed some standard form of proof testing. Roll Eyes

Joking aside, I'm still of the opinion that old BP actions should only be modified or altered to take other BP cartridges. Pushing old actions too, or beyond their limits is always, IMO, rather risky.

Harry

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I doubt that a U.S. "proof house" would fly...too much history of personal/gunsmith and corporate responsibility to the buying public versus the English and European reliance on the "nanny state".  All that being said, I still "trust but verify" when I buy something other than a factory built rifle, unless I know the gunsmith who did the work.  And a .50 BMG necked down to shoot phonograph needles in a crumbling block action rifle is not my idea of a good time!   Wink

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #19 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Harry, 
didnt Britain convert a bunch of old martini 577/450 martini's to 303?

For use in Australia.

I installed a barrel in one for my dad about ten years ago. It had a bushed firing pin and seemed to be no worse for wear.

Woudnt those converted rifles require a reproof?   Either way, the proof houses 
or Great Britain seems to be at odds with your opinion.  

What kind and grade of wood are you planning on using on your Borchardt?                                                            Joe.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2007 at 5:05pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Hello Joe,

Yes there were thousands of Martini-Henry 577/450 rifles converted to .303 buy bushing the firing pin and rebarrelling them.

Remember though, that the early .303 cartridges were Black Powder.  and also, that the Martini Henry action was far stronger than than any other or nearly any other BP SS action in the world.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that the MH conversions were restricted to certain Marks of the .303 round, at least those in the posession of HM Armed Forces were. What civilians did with them may differ. They also had to pass proofing after either conversion or new manufacture.

The conversions were used by troops throughout the whole British Empire, not just Australia. It was a stop-gap weapon, whilst experiments and developement of the bolt action Lee Enfield was being made.

I plan to use Walnut for stocking, I don't think there is a finer wood for doing so. The quality will be the best my old age pension will stretch too,
which unfortunately is not a lot.  Cry

Harry

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #21 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Harry,
I must admit, trying to pin you down on this subject is harder than catching a greased pig!  
Your points are well taken.
I do find it interesting, that of all the failed actions in my neck of the woods, were chambered for black powder era rounds.
The Borchardt action Frogman mentioned is the only high power single shot I've heard of failing.  I'm sure there are more. 
I think if you dont make any more references to our beloved Crackshot Rifle's we could dig out some affordable wood.  
                                                                                      Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 2:52am
Print Post  
FWIW, the original BP martini .303 round actually delivererd more pressure than the 1st cordite version - really!  Don't forget that one was of the compressed charge type, and gave quite respectable MV's for BP...   Most of the time, the limiting factor seems to be the steel used in manufacture, and the appropriate modern steels are certainly better suited for current higher pressures.   
The Martini does have one advantage for use with nitro - much safer with pierced primers or case ruptures.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 5:04am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 28th, 2007 at 7:17pm:
Harry,
I must admit, trying to pin you down on this subject is harder than catching a greased pig!  
Your points are well taken.
I do find it interesting, that of all the failed actions in my neck of the woods, were chambered for black powder era rounds.
The Borchardt action Frogman mentioned is the only high power single shot I've heard of failing.  I'm sure there are more. 
I think if you dont make any more references to our beloved Crackshot Rifle's we could dig out some affordable wood. 
Joe.

Hello Joe,

I am admittedly, a little more than pedantic when it comes to making perfectly good BP actions into potential hand grenades by converting them to take cartridges that didn't exist until years or even decades later, and which operate at much higher pressures than any round that the action was originally designed to accomodate.

The reports of actions coming violently apart are few, but there are possibly more than are actually reported. Few people would like to admit they made an error and suffer public embarrassement.

How many of those BP actions that gave way in your neck of the woods were publicised? Your use of the word 'All' indicates that there were several.

Blow ups are not restricted to just firearms, they happen to many manufactured things. We have all watched for example racing car engines blow up in races when pushed beyond their limit, aircraft both militay and civil, occasionally suffer metal fatigue and come apart. These examples illustrate that man is not infallable when designing mechanical objects.

Much as I love the Borchardt action, I don't think it can be describes as a High Power single shot action. I was as strong it needed to be for the large BP cartridges of the 1870's-1880's but not IMO for the high pressure white powder rounds of later decades.

I meant no offence to Crackshot Rifles or their owners, I cut my teeth on one of those over half a century ago. A very nice boys 'plinking' rifle, yet another action that shouldn't be considered for converting to any other calibre than it was originally made for. 

The original starter for this thread asked if a 9.3 x 74mm round was suitable to be used in an original Borchardt. IMO is isn't, hence my original reply. I haven't changed my mind. However, as the Bard once said. "Opinions are like A**holes, everbody has one".  Wink

Harry

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 5:10am
Print Post  
IMO the Borchardt should be perfectly OK for the 9.3x74R.  Harry, just because it uses smokeless powder it is not a particularly high pressure cartridge in factory loads.  It was designed, I believe before World War I, for top break single shot and double barrel rifles and combination guns that were and are a lot weaker than a Borchardt.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:30am
Print Post  
What Vigillinus said, and plenty of it.
JMO, Joe

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I have to agree with v and J.D. I know two guys who own, and shoot, Borchardt based 9.3x74R's, and have done so for 20+ years. Both rifles were built by the late Luft brothers, of Spokane, WA, and are very finely made, works of art. The x74R is a pretty tame round, pressure wise, given it's break action gun origens, as has already been noted.

Jeff

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Now it occurs to me to wonder exactly why I, JKS and AKJ are sitting at our computers on a Saturday fooling around with our favorite BS subject instead of being out shooting !!!!

Let me add to AKJ's remark that I have two Luft Borchardts that, I am sorry to say, I have never fired.  One is in .280 Remington, stocked by them, and, to quote AKJ, it is a "work of art".  Purchased at a Rock Island auction several years ago together with a Luft Stevens 44 1/2 in .222 Remington, also a remarkable rifle.  The other Sharps has their metalwork, Hobaugh long barrel in .45-120-550, paneled action, original long range sights spirit level and all, stocks by Hubalek in prone smallbore style, Iver Henricksen blued it.  All made for me in 1967, Elmer Keith suggested them to me.  Good advice. And a 52 semi sporter .22 worked over by them.   They were immensely talented and are not nearly as well known as they should be.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I'm afraid we must agree to disagree, as I said in an earlier post, everyone has their own opinions.

The mention of he late Elmer Keith brought back memories of when he was developing the .44 Magnum pistol round. I also remember a lot of .44 special revolvers were blown apart by people who thought they were strong enough to take the new round. All that they needed was a cylinder rechambering job, or so many shooters believed.

It's your perogative to have your rifles chambered in any calibre you want. But please excuse me if I don't stand beside you when you squeeze the trigger.

Harry

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Harry that is how I feel about low number 103 Springfields.  But there are quite a number of people of what seem to be reasonable intelligence, who shoot them quite cheerfully.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint