Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Old Borchardt (Read 44164 times)
MP
Ex Member

Re: Old Borchardt
Reply #60 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Fitz,

My experience mirrors your own.  The Borchardt military rifles can be cut with a knife. To the best of my knowledge they were never hardened like the sporting rifles.  My long-range Borchardt started life as a military rifle and was case-hardened after conversion. My friend who did the work on mine and many others say they (military) are like that. 

MP

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #61 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
MP, Xrays are expensive.  A simple dye penatrant test and a brass hammer will get the job done.      Or drive the takedown pin out and look to see if the ( crack ) extends into the pin bore hole. The same could be done on the broach access hole and cam locating pin hole      . The stocks could also be removed to see if the ( crack ) extends into those sections of the action.                                                                                                                                         Joe.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:45pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #62 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
akJeff, the one I took the file to was a barn door stop, no value lost there. The .219 Imp I have came on an original Long Range action and Stock. There is no Barrel maker indicated. The Rifle was the property of William Brophy of Springfield Arsenal fame. He wrote two or three books on the Arsenal's history. I met him a few times at The Hartford Ct. shows. Anyhow on buying the rifle at auction I brought it home and disassembled it. As I owned a Long Range Barrel and forend. The .219 barrel sat around for a couple of years and I needed a Varmint rifle so I screwed it into a Military action an installed a breech block with a high pressure firing pin conversion and have been shooting it ever since. I am sure a Hartung built rifle is a joy. Well enough for now. Regards, FITZ Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Hartung is mentioned in CS Landis' book on Varmint Rifles, there is a photo of least one of them, a HiWall with one piece stock.

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #64 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info, Fitz and v. I've been looking for a copy Landis' book(s), as I've heard that he mentioned Hartung. Guess I'll have to kick up my efforts, and get his books in hand.

Regards,

Jeff

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:57am
Print Post  
AKJEFF,
Try (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Type in the authors name in the authors box in this format:-  Landis, C.S. and click on search. There's at least three of his titles on shooting the .22's and other works. Just scroll down till you find them, there's a total of three pages. Pick a title and a price to fit your wallet.

Just be sure of the right title before you buy.

Harry

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #66 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks Harry!!!! Have never been to that web site. 

Regards,

Jeff

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
The Albert Hartung one piece stock High Wall is written up at pp. 176-180, photo p. 163, of CS Landis, Woodchucks and Woodchuck Rifles.  I tracked this rifle down several years ago, to Virginia as I recall, and it was changed to a .30-30 and the owner was using cast bullets.

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Jeff,

The Landis books (five) are worth having but if you can narrow it down to which book I’ll copy the info for you.   I looked in the only copy with “Varmint” in the title and don’t see his name in the index, of course it could be in the book.  I seem to remember a full stocked high-wall rifle in Simmons book but can’t find my copy.  Mark, can you help us out here?

Good work you were posting while I was writing Wink.  I'll check it out. 

Jeff,  No real info on Hartung, just covers the work he did on this one rifle, if you want, stop by someday and borrow the book.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2007 at 4:24pm by »  

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
MP, I can't find my copy of Simmons either.  I did buy a one piece stock HiWall recently from Dick Simmons, Jr., 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

had no idea it was in his dad's book.

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
MP, I can't find my copy of Simmons either.  I did buy a one piece stock HiWall recently from Dick Simmons, Jr., 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

had no idea it was in his dad's book.

Well we won't know until one of us finds our book Wink.  Might be I remember this because of the rifle you just bought and that's were the Simmons reference come from.

IP Logged

akjeff
Participating Member

Reply #71 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks all, and thanks Michael, I'll surely try to visit, when I get some home time, and thumb through those books; really appreciate that.

Also, the recent piece you did on the Neidner underlever was terrific! We should all be blessed by having a "Cowboy" pass through our lives. Great story, that just further shows what fine people you can run across, in the firearms scene.

Regards,

Jeff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint