Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 40/85 Ballard (Read 14097 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: 40/85 Ballard
Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Max,

They were actually pretty common as big Ballards go, but with their forged actions and DSTs, a lot of them ended up as "custom" rifles, apparently.  This one has, as I previously stated, been reassembled using original but somewhat mismatched parts.  It does correspond quite well to the "factory configuration" of a standard #5 Pacific.  Oddly enough this is the SECOND #5 in the weird .40-85 that has lived at my house!   Shocked

Anyway, my barrel is 30" from muzzle face to breech face and is about 1.05" at the front of the receiver and about .93" at the muzzle.   Undecided

The story behind mine is that an old gunsmith friend of mine had said he wanted me to have a certain Ballard from his collection that I was to buy from his wife after he was gone.  Events conspired that all of his guns were auctioned off, so I went to the auction and bid on the one that most closely answered to the description he had given to me.  Fate was smiling on me and I got it at a good price, so here it is!  Wink

Now if I can only get it to shoot as good as it looks!!   Lips Sealed

Froggie

IP Logged

blackpowdermax
Ex Member

Re: 40/85 Ballard
Reply #16 - Sep 21st, 2006 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Froggie....

An interesting story, looks like you were living right.  I'm sure if I had been in the same circumstance, I would have missed the top bid by $1.00.   Sad

Mine came with a long wait also, I actually bought a Ballard seater and decapping set 4 years before I got the rifle.  Bought another 40-85 before this one, but UPS managed to trash it (bent the ears on the rear barrel sight so bad that it cracked the metal, and this inside a hard case).  It also had a spiral groove going down the chamber like someone had removed a broken case with a drill bit, so back it went.  Actually good luck for me as this one is much nicer.

It set me back a bit, but is in really nice condition with a mint bore and I wanted a shooter as well as a looker.  And this one came with a neat history as well.  Seems it belonged to a man named James W. Dudgeon who was sheriff of Friend, Nebraska in 1884.  He was reputed to have been friends with Buffalo Bill Cody.  He was born on July 13, 1851 and died on October 1, 1890.  I believe this information came from his great-grandson.  I think the great-grandson was the one that sold or consigned the rifle to the dealer.  The rifle came in a Plains Indian brain tanned leather scabbard that is beaded.  It is a little worse for wear, but I guess if I were 120 years old, I might look a little ragged also.   Grin  Geneology is not one of my strong points, so that is all I have been able to find.

The Ballard barrel measures 1.100" at the breech end, and .985" at the muzzle.

You think I might be addicted to the 40-85 / 40-90 Ballard?

max

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint