Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Martini .577-450 (Read 16657 times)
klw
Ex Member

Re: Martini .577-450
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 11:33am
Print Post  
There is a fellow at NSSA, Greg Edington, who has spent quite a bit of effort trying to replica Civil War Williams bullets.  I think that these were quite popular in the latter part of the war in part because they cleaned the fouling out of the barrels.  Anyway a straight copy isn't apparently allowed under NSSA shooting rules (I think) so Greg has been trying to come up with an equivalent that is.

When he gets an idea he has Lee make a mould.  Only works if he can drum up enought interest but this happens occasionally.  I've got two of his rather oddly shaped bullet moulds.

Greg has also written two or three articles for the NSSA on the history of these bullets and why or how they are suppose to work.

Alas I became aware of this after selling most of my rifles that might benefit from this bullet design work.  BUT if you are having accuracy problems with an old blackpowder rifle, you might want to look Greg up and talk to him.  I couldn't possibly summarizes his work.

BUT I am really impressed with the amount of work he has done and the results he has gotten.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I actually have one of his Wilkinson-Lorenz bullet moulds in .45, and when patched it makes quite a nice bullet for 577-450 (works good too in my volunteer, I might add).  My only problem is the Lee mould.  While cheap, it is very delicate and not exactly a precision instrument.
The design is sound, though - I much prefer the compression wedge design over the classic minie HB design.

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
If I find that his moulds work well, I'd just go the cost of having Ballisti-Cast copy it and have a gang mould made.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I don't know that outfit, but one thing is sure - making such a compression wedge bullet doesn't seem to be simple...
This is a lubed and sized one, ready for the P-H Volunteer:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Quite important not to fill the 'grooves' completely, otherwise it won't expand as well.

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Ballisti-Cast are the ones now making Hensley & Gibbs moulds.  They also will do some custom work.  VERY nice work!

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 10:14am
Print Post  
KLW, do you have contact info for Ballisticast? I've been using H&G moulds since the '60s & have been wanting more.
TIA, Joe

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 11:23am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne Gibbs wanted there to be NO confusion between H&G and Ballisti-Cast moulds so two things were changed, the numbers identifying a mould and the way the moulds were serial numbered.

Ballisti-Cast moulds have an identification number that is 600 higher than there H&G counterparts.  So H&G bullet #22 became Ballisti-Cast mould #622.

Ballisti-Cast does not list all their moulds on their web site.  And they have expanded the line.  Also they will make custom orders.  That cost $100 extra.  Finally they have discontinued the eight and ten cavity blocks.

I've got several Ballisti-Cast moulds.  They are every bit as good as H&G's.

If you want something I'd suggest calling and asking for, I think, Peter, the owner.

IP Logged

thickside
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
The Education I am getting is first rate, thanks guys
Thickside Smiley

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
If anyone has a .577-450 or 450 #2 Musket or similar cartridge in a single shot like  a Martini or a double (with hammers), that they would be willing to sell, please feel free to contact me at brentd@iastate.edu.

I may be a bit tardy in reply.  I'm about to step on to a plane and destination email availability is a bit spotty or worse for the coming week.

Thanks,
Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint