Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 45-120 questions (Read 17963 times)
guitarzann
Ex Member

45-120 questions
Oct 6th, 2005 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Hey guys I am a newbie here and with single shot rifles so pls keep that in mind and be gentle ha.
I am looking at getting a  45-120 but don't really want to spend 1K. cheap huh. what do you guys know about the following company? are they reliable, are the rifles fair quality etc?
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

also what realistic diffrences are there, velocity, range etc between a 28" barrel and a 32" barrel. I didn't know anyone else that could answer those questions for me and I know ya'll can. your advise is appreciated. " If you don't know, ask them that do"

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: 45-120 questions
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
guitarzann,

As the old saying goes...... You get what you pay for!

Can't say I've ever heard of Pedretti & Sons, but if the particular rifle you want to get is made by Pedersoli they are considered to be the best of the Italian makers. The web site leaves you in doubt as to who actually is making these guns, or the particular model you want. Sounds like you'll take pot luck in that regard which might be a big mistake on your part.

You don't mention what you want to use a .45/120 for, or what powder you want to shoot in it. The 1000 yd. shooters feel a .45/90, with BP, is all that's needed for that game. Shooting BP the /120 will give you more fouling issues than the .45/70 advertised. If you're planning on shooting only smokeless then the .45/70 is more than you'll ever need for anything in the way of targets or game on this continent.

A longer barrel will give you a little more velocity if you're planning on using BP. With smokeless it won't make enuf difference to notice. The longer barrel is useful if you plan on using iron sights.

PETE

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I looked @ the link & here's my SWAG (Scientific Wild Arse Guess): the barrels don't look like they are a hvy. wt. barrel & w/ the drop on the stocks & the crescent butt plates, a.45-120 is going to pound you unmercifully.

Also loading White Powder (AKA Smokeless/Nitro) in the .45-120 is not generally advised due the small am't. of powder in such a large case.

When shooting BP, you be very meticulous w/ load development as the larger case generates more powder fouling.

I’ve shot more than few light wt rifles in big chambering w/ such stock & butt designs & they aren’t fun. Recoil will get to you real fast. Been there; done that.

Also none of the rifles listed are made by Pedersoli. I would save the $$ & money a Pedersoli in .45-2.1’ (AKA .45-70).

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

guitarzann
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys thats what I am asking for and appreciate your advice very much. I intend on shooting BP in the rifle and using it to shoot for fun amd enjoyment also hunt with some, nothing serious. I have always wanted a 45-120 or 45-110 . Have no need for it, just WANT it. ha. You have given me some insight. I might just wait till I can save up enough to get a Pedersoli. The advertisement on the site was a little ambiguious and to the manufacture and I wasn't sure either. Enough red flags for me. thanks again

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 9:49am
Print Post  
A bit of advise lots of guys want a 45-110 untill they get one. Somehow watching Quigly Down Under is a lot less painfull than actualy shooting the thing. But if you just gotta have one look in the Single Shot Exchange. There is always an add that goes something like 
For sale 45-110 Shilo Sharps with dies and 500 rounds of brass like new in box shot only 5 times.
Get a 45-70 or a 40-65 in the end you will get a lot more use out of them

40 Rod

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
If one just MUST have a .45-120, then have at and enjoy (as much as you can). I have not fired one myself but once spotted silhoutte for a guy shooting a .45-100 Long Range Express. By the end of the day he was reluctant to pull the trigger.

IP Logged

guitarzann
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Yeah I know it can punish ya pretty good. I kinda got my heart set on one and will more than likely remember your words of warning more than once. ha. I probably want shoot it a heck of a lot and think it would be a blast, no pun intended.  What reloading setup do you suggest? Nothing extravgant but would do the job.

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
I think if I were going to have a .45-120 (and it holds a certain attraction for me) just for fun, I think I would probably treat it as a .45 x 3 1/4" Black Powdeer Express or as the Brits called it, .450 BPE. That is a full charge of Fg or FFg black powder and a bullet of 300 -350 grains, thus an express loading. This will be somewhat more pleasant than a load using a 500 gr or heqvier bullet.
Get yourself a set of dies, a supply of bullets (or a mold to cast your own) and a book like the SPG primer on black powder cartridge loading and have at it. Loading and reloading black powder cartridges is somewhat more labor intensive than loading with smokeless powder but if you are inexperienced I think you will be less apt to get into trouble with black than with small charges of smokeless in that enormous case.

IP Logged

guitarzann
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 2:59am
Print Post  
Music to my ears DonH. Thats what I'll do. The 300-350 gr will work just fine. I have a .45 Long Colt I handload for so am some familar with the basics of handloading in smokeless pwdr. I only plan to use BP in the 45-120 and will get a book on reloading the behmouth. You guys are the best ya,ll didn't have to reply but you did and I got a lot from all the msgs. I appreciate it. Now I just gotta put in more hrs at work and get the baby.

IP Logged

drc

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Cabelas have 45-120 PEDERSOLI Heavy barreled target models on sale

dc

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
DonH: if I recall, the 300-350 grn .45 cal bullet is a bit short. 

I wonder what would be the needed twist rate to stabalize  such a short bukllet?

Would a 1:20 work?

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

guitarzann
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
You got me there ha. I don't know. What is the best twist ratio for a 32-34" barrel? I have so much to learn about this.

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
The twist that I am referring to is the number of turns in the rifling per inch. Twist determines the length of the bullet that will shoot well in the rifle for the particular caliber. Some .45' barrels have a 1:16, 1:18, 1:20, 1:22 twist.

For 'zample, w/ a 1:20 twist, the bullet makes one complete turn in 20" of barrel length. The barrel must have the correct rifling twist for the length of the bullet. 

Since you are admittedly knew to BPCR, below are some links to an on-line BPCR reloading & casting primers:

You'll may also wish to visit the Shiloh-Sharps web site & do a search for this caliber in its archives. I do believe that there have been a few threads on this caliber there.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

guitarzann
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
thanks Ray there is hours of info there cool sites, just what I needed.

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
greetings geetar,

at one time i had a 45-125...  never got it to shoot. couldn't figgure out why untill it dawned on me.. it was an ugly load... it was too long for it's dia. and looked gawky..

so.. i got a 45-110 and it was perfect. patched or plain, it looked well balanced. (you should allways be proud of how your ammo looks). it's no fun shooting if you have to hide your ammo from the eyes of other shooters.

now with a 45-110 you can allways use fillers... what are fillers you say????!!!. fillers take up the space of powder in a reduced load.. an example would be; 500gr bullet, 45grs. 2F and the balance fillers. this is a very accurate load and has the recoil of a 223 or less...  the filler also helps keep the bbl clean.. a mitey dandy 45-110 load..

good luck and ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint