Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 45-120 questions (Read 17966 times)
guitarzann
Ex Member

Re: 45-120 questions
Reply #15 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks Granpa, I like the option of "loading down" it is a great option. what do you use for fillers?

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
howdy geetar,

i use special mix #47 from ballistic products.. it's a shot shell buffer. works pretty good.. there is also puff-lon as advertized in the journal and the sse. never tried it myself but heard good things about it..

i think reduced loads are a lot of fun to shoot and they are surprizingly accurate even with smokeless..   example would be, 30-06, 11gr. uniqe, 150 gr cast bullet.. in 'MY' tcr 83 will cut a 1/2 hole at 100yd for 5 shots.

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

guitarzann
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Now THAT is impressive, Thanks for the information I will put it to use. thanks

IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Sorry to chime in late, but here is my spin on this, based in large part on my own experience:

The Pedersoli built replicas can be quite nice.  I own a few in both the 1874 Sharps and the Remington Rolling Block iterations.  But, if you must shoot a 45-120 (and you can do so with out TOO MUCH pain) you MUST get the heaviest barrel and stock configuration they make.  This is not a 'cartridge' issue, but a 'gun-related' decision.

Weight and stock design are going to be the critical issues, and not simply in BPCRs.  I find shooting even a 45-70/300 grain load out of a Sharps Carbine (light gun, short barrel) much more rattling then when I am shooting the same load from a Sharps heavy barrel target set up for long range and not tied down to the competition weight limits.  Moving to the modern single shot era, I once shot a Remington 300 Ultra Magnum in a 700BDL hunting rifle, and even with a recoil pad on my shoulder, one round was enough.  By contrast, my 1000 yard long range benchrest 'of choice' is a Nesika-built 28 pound, long barreled, muzzlebraked single shot built for Richard Spurill, then Production Manager for Nesika and now filling that role for Dakota who bought Nesika a few years ago.  Recoil from this perfectly stocked and set up tack driver is akin to a 22 centerfire, and I can watch the bullets hit the target in the reticle of the boosted target scope (which makes doping the wind a lot easier.)

Moral of the story?  Shoot a 45-120 if you want, it is a lot of fun and I enjoy it.  Just get the right rifle to do so and load it properly.  If you want to go light, go 38-55 or 32-40.  Dave

IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Hit the send key without proof reading.  The point of my Neskia story was that my current BR Nesika is a 300 Ultra Mag which Richard Spurill selected as his ideal 1000 yard BR cartridge when he ran Nesika.  The recoil issue was reduced to a non-issue by building it in the proper weight, proper stock design, and a long, heavy barrel with a muzzle brake.

Stock design is another issue often overlooked.  The original 1895 Winchester in 405 is a bitch to shoot, with the worst combination of stock and buttplate imaginable.  Even the newer 2005 reincarnations are only marginally better.  The 1895 Winchester is one reason the 405 got its reputation as a shoulder buster.  (Altough I am told, but have never tried one to confirm this, that the Winchester 1885 Single Shot was a much better platform for the 405.)

And, while it is never going to be a pussycat, I have much less problem shooting the 405 in my Al Story-built Sharps Borchardt.  Better stock design, better weight and much heavier barrel.  Dave

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 10:58am
Print Post  
And as to the difference in barrel length:

Generally speaking you can ussuallly expect an additional 25 fps for each additional inch in barrel length when ussing the same load etc.

IP Logged

Sharpsman
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
DonH: if I recall, the 300-350 grn .45 cal bullet is a bit short. 

I wonder what would be the needed twist rate to stabalize  such a short bukllet?

Would a 1:20 work?

Ray

A ROT of 1-18" will stabilize it!!

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Reply #22 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
You started this thread asking about the relative quality of the Sharps reproductions made by Pedretti and Sons.

They (and another maker) were turning out pretty poor stuff until Pedersoli and Armi Sport browbeat them into improving their product.

Since the advent of their 'Hartford' series, the Pedretti quality is much improved.  However, Pedersoli makes the best Italian reproductions, followed by Armi Sport.
CM

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

guitarzann
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
thanks Montana  I appreciate the info, how is the weather out there now?  I had dreams of moving to colorado or montana one day and may get a wild hair and do just that lol. Thats God's country

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Reply #24 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
thanks Montana, how is the weather out there now?

Not as bad as it needs to be...

Last week we had some snow.  I had to plow three days in a row to keep one track open to feed cows, and another to reach the haystacks.  Then the Chinook started and blew it all away.  If things go the way they have been, we'll be looking at our eighth year of severe drought.

Plus, the country is filling up with folks who think all roads need to be paved, cows stink too much, and my baler is too noisy for them to hear their MP3 player.

We need a return to weather that is colder than a step-mother's heart...to convince them that they were better off in Mexifornia.
CM

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

guitarzann
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Laughs, thanks for the update on the weather and the situation with people, Everywhere is getting too crowded I am afraid. I went hunting on Eglin AFB a couple of weeks ago and when I came out at dark there were 5 trucks parked right next to mine. scared the mess outta me ha. I can remember hunting as a kid if I heard a shot off in the distance I would find another place to hunt as it was too crowded, progress I guess the only thing constant is change. Thanks for the note I appreciate it.

IP Logged

Lee_Stone
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
guitarzann:

Another thought you might consider. When I had Shiloh build my .50/90 I had them install a mercury recoil suppression tube in the stock. Since I have no plans to shoot it in competion, the slight weight addition doesn't matter. One of my favorite loads for this rifle is a 650 grain Paul Jones Creedmoor bullet over 110 grains of Goex Fg. The recoil is not in the least objectionable, and in fact feels about like the recoil of my Shiloh .45/90 shooting a 540 grain PJ Creedmoor bullet over 90 grains of Swiss FFg.

I now have on order a Shiloh in .45/110 and have included the installation of a mercury tube in it's stock also. 

I shoot for enjoyment and the mercury recoil suppressors insure that I enjoy my shooting. 

Just a thought you might want to consider if you get a .45/110 or a .45/120. If you get a Pedersoli (I have a Pedersoli, and I also have a Pedretti, both in .45/70. Believe me, get a Pedersoli! The Pedretti is not all bad, but the difference in quality between the two is remarkable.) you can have any competent gunsmith install a mercury tube for you, or if you are handy, you could do it yourself.  

Oh, one other comment. It was mentioned above that the .45/120 cartridge just looks wrong. It's too long for it's diameter. The .45/110 is just a better looking cartridge. But then, that's opinion, and opinions are like noses, everybody's got one. I happen to be of the school of thought that the .45/120 doesn't look right.    Wink  Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2005 at 7:32pm by »  

IP Logged

guitarzann
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
ahhh thanks Lee thats an idea I havnt considered. I appreciate your suggestion.

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
One possibility to consider is buying an inexpensive 45-70 (if you can find one) and then having it rechambered.  There is a company (maybe whiterock engineering) that rents chamber cutters.  Rent the cutter and have a local gunsmith convert the 45-70 to 45-120.  I did that with a Pedersoli Sharps.  Works fine.

IP Logged

Kurt
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 1:01am
Print Post  
The .45-120 is not a friendly caliber for someone starting with a black powder cartridge rifle.
The caliber sure enough has a wow factor to it and it is fun to shoot now and then and watch someone else that wants to try it out. I watched them get there hats and glasses knocked off there heads and they would hand the rifle back to me with out wanting to take a second shot with it. 
I cast and swaged bullets from 300 to 600 grains, mine would not stabilize them till around 400 grains. They would keyhole past 125 yards.
Loading for that caliber you will need a loading press that has a larger opening then the Rock Chucker press when seating the bullet. I use the Corbin swage press for loading that caliber.
Over the years I have had fine rifles shooting black powder in them from the .25 32 40 43 44 45 and .50's. If I was to have one caliber it would be a tough choice between the .40-70 SS or the .45-90 for me.

Kurt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint