Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Martini .577-450 (Read 16648 times)
thickside
Ex Member

Martini .577-450
Jan 9th, 2006 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys
I am looking to buy a Martini in this this caliber, but know nothing about it.  Is brass available?  Is 450 the bullet weight in grains?  What is the powder charge (black powder)?  Are they accurate?
Lots of questions...I guess I am looking for a free education on these rifles as I have never had a Martini.
Thanks
Thickside

IP Logged

gws
Ex Member

Re: Martini .577-450
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Everything you want to know about the 577-450.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

GS

IP Logged

thickside
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
GS
Thanks for the tip.
Thickside

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 12:36am
Print Post  
The brass is available but EXPENSIVE!  I think that Bertrums makes it (look up Huntington's on the web) and I'm pretty sure that Rocky Mountain Cartridge makes it as well.  Bertrum is conventional brass.  RMC is machined.

Several sources have dies.  These aren't cheap!  I think that Lee has just added this caliber but in a unique thread size meaning that you'd need to get a unique press.

The larger RCBS presses, the Rock Chucker and Rock Chucker Supreme have a top insert.  With that in place they handle conventional 7/8x14 threaded dies.  With that removed they handle a different, larger diameter die.  You'd need to call them to get details because, if memory serves, RCBS actually has three diameter/thread size combinations.

The powder charge I don't remember but as with any blackpowder cartridge the charge should completely fill the case.  Actually seating the bullet should just slightly compress the blackpowder charge.

For decades conventional wisdom was that blackpowder charger in blackpowder cartridges should completely fill the case.  If they didn't, the theory goes, if there is an air gap you ran the risk of a detonation with MUCH high pressures.

Now this idea has been called into question.  So, well, the bottom line seems to be that if the case is full you aren't going to get into any serious trouble.  If the case isn't full maybe you'll be ok or maybe you'll blow you gun up and kill yourself.  The reason for taking this risk escapes me.

Never shot mine enough to know if the gun was accurate but they certainly are fun.

Wasn't this basic rifle also chambered in 303?

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 2:41am
Print Post  
the reason it's called a 577/450 is the cartridge base is the same as the 577 snider, while the front is "necked:" down to .45 caliber.Large case uses 85 grains of FFG powder, 480 grain paper-patched(.460dia) bullet and kicks like a mule.it's the gun that built the british empire, so i had to buy one-i bought a commerical one off of gunbroker, in good shape but needs a new stock so i'm re-stocking it.

IP Logged

PLuton
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 4:53am
Print Post  
You could try the martini Henry Website:

They have details of the original cartridges and sectioned diagrams to show how they were loaded.

The Martini Enfield was the same action in .303 with an Enfield rifled barrel.

Regards,

Pete Luton
Marylebone Rifle & Pistol Club
England

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 9:07am
Print Post  
I believe this is a source for either loaded ammo or formed cases:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

Cases may be formed from Magtech brass 24 ga. shotgun cases. These have pockets for Boxer Large Pistol primers. These may be what Gad uses. Formed cases have been available (as well as moulds, dies, etc.) from OldYoti but I believe his website is down temporarily for some reason. More info may be found on the ezboard Matini-Henry forum.

I purchased the Magtech shotgun brass from Graf & Sons fairly inexpensively for use in a .577 Snider.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 10:07am
Print Post  
My last 577-450 came with a box of ammo made from 24-ga brass shotgun cases and sold by Dangerous Dave, the Old Western Scrounger. It'll really wake you up when you pull the trigger.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Yes, 577-450 - certainly speaks with authority!  However, you'll find that Fg works best in the case if you want to stay reasonably close to the original load (85grs) - with the added benefit that it kicks (a little bit) less...
It is not an easy cartridge to load for, but the reward is great - and they can can be accurate too, if you can handle the recoil.
Cases?  Kynamco, UK has them, as well as Bertram and some others - Jamison (formerly Bell) is supposed to bring out some in the near future too.  Yes, they are expensive and need lots of case due to the 'military' chamber.  But a range session leaves most with a permanent, huge grin on their face (not to mention the bruised shoulder  Grin  )

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I had a booth at Friendship In for a couple or three years, several years ago. The owner of "Pecotonic"(sp?) stopped by and stayed awhile while three or four of us discussed the 577-450 Martini. Apparently, the regiment that was at "Bork's Rift" had commissioned Pecotonic to build a new Martini rifle exactly like the rifles used at Bork's Rift. One rifle for each soldier that was in the battle. There were no surviving rifles of the exact type known. The order was nearly finished and I guess the British Regiment was quite satisfied. The contract specified that ONLY the exact number be produced and then the tooling was mandated destroyed.

The interesting part of the discussion was that one of my friends was present, and he mentioned that the original rifles would not shoot accurately at long range (800-1000 yards). They apparently did quite well up to 300 meters but did not perform well against a good 45/70. Pecotonic admitted that they had seen the exact same problem when they used the first rifles in tests (barrel specs as well as EVERYTHING else was "AS ORIGINAL"). Pecotonic mentioned the concerns to the British and they stated that was normal. 

I am only reporting what I personally heard and do not need any flames on this Grin. However, I found that quite interesting. Of course, a rifle of the period that shoots well up to 300 meters certainly will do all that it is called to do in battles of the time.

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

PLuton
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Dale,

While doing some research in the library at our NRA museum at Bisley, I came across several reports in the "Volunteer Service Gazette" from the late 1800's concerning the accuracy of the martini Henry.  It was generally felt that it was not as accurate for target shooting at Long Range as the Whitworth muzzle-loader which preceded it.

Regards,

Pete Luton
Marylebone Rifle & Pistol Club
England

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Pete;
Thanks for the reply.

Dale53

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
To be fair, the 577-450 is rather overbore - and combined with the oversize military chamber and generous throat, they can be a bit cranky to get to shoot accurately.
However, nothing to do with the action (IMO a Martini is superior by far to a TD - I might be prejudiced - I am not, of course, but...).
It really takes handloading to get the accuracy potential out of a Martini - and the case being a BN, requires different techniques than the ordinary straight case.
However, I still have the intention to prove that a standard military Martini can be accurate by at least making a good score in either the Imperial or the Trafalgar meet at Bisley.  I did win the Trafagar 500 yds 2004 vintage military rifle match with a Martini in 500/450 #2, so the next one in line is the 577/450.  Much more of a challenge, of course, but we'll see...
As to the really long range, I only once shot the 500/450 #2 at 900 and 1,000, and it performed admirably - 1st time out I was able to keep my shots on target without any problems. This is a  standard military rifle with open barrel sights, BTW.
Recoil was another matter, unfortunately!  Never tried the 577-450 though, I would need a cheekpad for sure  Cry
A couple of things to respect when loading/shooting 577-450:  DON'T use a sling - you ll be spraying your shots around.  Shoot at least the LoC charge (85grs) - anything less will cause fliers.
And beware of fillers - this is a BN case, so...

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 6:31am
Print Post  
I didn`t hang onto my original .577-450 sporting rifle long enough to get the best out of it. However it was fun in Smokeless or BP. At 8lb you knew when you touched her off... Bertram cases were good, tho expensive. Infact some Aussie shooters were having them imported as it was cheaper than they could buy them here... I also had NFDS cases [think spelling right] from the UK which most of the competition guys were using here. They were much cheaper cases and people liked them. Not sure if they are still available.

Am thinking "Bork's Rift" may well be "Rorks Drift" in Natal Wink A monumental battle with the most number of VC's awarded in the British army at any one time...

martini B - I don`t know much about the .500-450 ?

cheers,

Cam...
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2006 at 6:42am by »  

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

500-450 #2
Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 10:46am
Print Post  
500-450 #2 Musket - supposed to be a Westley Richards development, although he might have 'borrowed' the idea from Alexander Henry.  It is, as its name suggests, a .500 case necked down to 450 with a gentle shoulder, and a powder capacity of about 80-90grs, depending on powder and bullet.
Although used as both sporting and military round (Rumania had the Steyr-Martini in this round), it was originally developed as a target round, to deliver similar performance as the 577-450, but without the inconvenients.
Here some cartridge details - sorry for the poor quality:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint