Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 45-70 1874 Sharps (Read 27660 times)
Sharps1874
Ex Member

45-70 1874 Sharps
Mar 30th, 2005 at 12:03am
Print Post  
My Shiloh Sharps 45-70 rifle will arrive this summer. And I’ve been in the process of putting together all my reloading material together.  I’ve decided to go with IMR for my smokeless powder. I have already bought IMR 3031, 4198, and the 4064. I have bough my bullets yet. And I’m also going to load black powder loads later. I need some advice from the experts on the best bullets to buy. On what are the best Blackpowder to load with. And I’d really like to hear any and all the advice from those of you that have a Sharps 45-70 rifle. I reload my own ammo for my 30-06 and 30-30, as well as shot loads for my 12 gauge. I’m in no way an expert with loading for black powder. I have Hornady’s current Progressive loader and it’s great. I have the dies for the 45-70.I do not know what Blackpowder to load with. In addition, where can I find load data for Blackpowder?  I’ve bought the Blackpowder powder measurer for my loader. I’ve bought Lyman’s latest reload book, and it is very good. I’ve done allot of research yet more information from those of you out that have the advice that books cannot give is what I need now. My Dad which will be 77 this June is eagerly giving me all the advice that he can, and well he’s like a little just as I am about the 45-70. I took him with me when I went to Big Timber to custom order it in person. So I’m sure that you can see that I’m really into my 45-70. I was told by Sharps that I should not load for the gun until I have it with me, so that I can check my first rounds loaded to make sure that they are sized correctly for the rifle chamber. I would like to hear from those that have a 45-70 on what you have learned that I should be aware of. I’m looking forward to hear from all of you. 

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2005 at 12:24pm by »  

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: 45-70 1874 Sharps
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Sharps1874,

It would take a book to cover everything you want to know real well, but here goes with some info.

The smokeless powders you have will work well. Especially the 3031 and 4198. I used quite a bit of both.

A good bullet would be the Lyman 457125. A lot of people think there are better, but it will more than do to start. It sounds like you want to buy your bullets so I imagine just about any commercial caster will have this bullet.

The best black powder would be Swiss in either 1, 1 1/2, or 2F. It's also the most expensive.

A good handbook to get for loading black would be Steve Garbe's and Mike Venterino's "Reloading Primer".

If you're not aquainted with Buffalo Arms Co. check out their web site at:    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); It's a candy store for black powder shooters and will have the book mentioned above, plus everything else you can imagine you'll need.

Shiloh was right in suggesting you not load for the gun till you get it. Altho bore dim.'s for the .45/70 are pretty well standardized in modern guns, slight variations can be found. You'll want to slug the bore so that you can size, or have sized, your bullets from .001" to .0015" over groove diam., and of course set your seating dies for proper OAL in your chamber. You'll have to experiment with the OAL as some have found their guns work best with the bullet tight into the rifling, and others like it a few thousandths off.

Loading a black powder cartridge is pretty simple. Once you've decided what your OAL is with at least a .030" wad of some kind under it, all you need to do is fill the rest of the case so the powder just touches the wad. This will be zero compression. After that you just keep adding a gr. or two of the powder you want to try out until you reach the best accuracy. You will need a compression die (available from BA) to get the necessary compression as you increase the load. You don't want to compress the charge with the bullet.

What's listed above is a very general way of working with the .45/70, and like any other caliber there are all kinds of tricks you can do to get the most out of it. Garbe & Venterino's book will give you everything you need to know, even if it's becoming a little dated, it will get you started in good fashion.

If you've got any specific question don't hesitate to ask as there are a lot of people on here that can help you out.

PETE

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Thanks Pete, this will help get me started in the right direction if I'm not going in that direction already. Yes, I'm sure that you have given me the short version, and I'm grateful for that. I've been on the Buffalo Arms site many times. Thanks also for the info on the Lyman Bullet. I'm learning that loading for Blackpower is allot dirrent then what I've been loading for in the past. My first loading will be with the Smokeless Cartridges first. I want to get a good feel for the gun before  I start reloading Blackpowder Cartidges. Thanks once more for your advice. If I may ask what big bore rifle do you load for and shoot.

IP Logged

TimK
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 7:41am
Print Post  
I am rather new to my S. Sharps, but I have shot a H&R Buffalo Classic for a few years, both in 45/70.  My favorite bullets are the 400g Speer flat nose and the 405g Speer Idaho Territory for smokeless powder.  I've found 4198 (32 grains) to work best for me, but I'm trying some 5744 after work today.  You can't use the 405g Speer with BP, or so I was told by the Goex rep.  So far with BP, a 520g semispitzer from Buffalo arms, 535g Lyman Postell and 445g Brooks HP from Classic Bullets all work good with Goex Cartridge and 0.060" wads.  The Reloading Primer by M.V. & S.G. is excellent.  The biggest problem with BP shooting is not cleaning the gun, but cleaning the cases.  It's not a real problem, just time consuming.  I'm not into the BP that deep yet, but I could try to answer any specific questions, as others here at work are more experienced BP cartridge shooters.  Drop me a note here at work, tkwiecinski@stanadyne.com , and I'll see if I can help.       Tim K      

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Sharps1874,

Smokeless is a good place to start. About the only advice I'd really give you there is be very careful when loading it. Depending on powder & charges, and what you're trying to achieve, it's not to hard to double charge.

I shoot many different calibers with BP, from the .22 WCF on up to a .50/90/600. Have owned, and shot, three different .45/70, and am currently playing with a .45/70 in a double rifle.

Keep us informed as you go along, and be sure to ask plenty of questions if you run into something that's not familiar.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
My Shiloh Sharps 45-70 rifle will arrive this summer. And I’ve been in the process of putting together all my reloading material together.   

Sharps1874,

The other members have given you good information for starting out.

I did not see you mention that you had any expierience at casting bullets at all. Is this so?

If it is indeed the case you should consider working with cast bullets in your currently available rifles before the arrival of the 45/70. The samller calibers are most definitely easier to learn some of the basic things about making up your own bullets and loading them in conventional rifles.

Let us know about this semi-critical aspect of loading and shooting the 45/70..

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Hello Tim, Pete, and Forrest,

Tim, I have not loading any Speer bullets in years. All of my 30-06 and 30-30 loads are Nosler ballistic tips. I am getting ready to also start reloading for my S&W Model 19 Magnum in both the 38 special and the 357. I have not decided on whom I want to go with for my bullets. I already have the brass. I am not committed to Nosler for the 45-70 and I’m open to hear from everyone what they think is the best bullet for cartridge and for Blackpowder, and why. I take it that your smokeless is IMR. I also like IMR for those loads and that is what I have for my other loads. How was the 5744? I emailed GOEX last night and one of there people emailed me back that he would give me a call this afternoon and go over what they have. BP is all new to me and I don’t want to make any mistakes with it. 

Pete, I thought that if I started with a Smokeless load first that it would give me a chance to get to know my rifle better. If I were to really give the idea of Competing with it a run for it’s money, then I have to definitely load BP. I do plan on loading BP no matter what, I just wish to learn all that I can be do the best that I can with it, and feel comfortable loading BP. I grew up loading Smokeless and I’m very careful with it. It’s BP that I have the concern with. I have the BP Powder Measure that goes with my Hornady Progressive Loader. I know that for my 45-70 Replica that I need to stay under 1800 fps with my loads. I’m looking at loading in the 1500 to 1600 fps range to start out with. I’ve never shot a 45-70, this will be my first. Your 50/90/600 must have one heck of a kick. 

Forrest, I do not have any plans at this time to cast my own bullets. And no I do not have any experience casting bullets. If I did that would have to be much later. I’ve put allot of money already into getting back to reloading since last December. It’s been very expensive yet I know that all of this will pay off later. I never thought of using cast bullets in my 30-30 or 30-06. Some time next month, I’ll have all of my 30-06 and 30-30 brass ready for reloading. I guess I could reload some of each with cast bullets to compare with my Nosler bullets. I do understand what you’re getting at in getting use to cast bullets before the Sharps arrives. Should I try the cast on my handgun as well? The S&W 357 model is a revolver. 

I emailed load Data about BP reloading Data. They told what issues of the Rifle and handloader had articles on BP and reloading. I called them this morning and was able to get 4 out of the 5 that was recommended. One of the issues is now out of circulation. They have been very good. They even found some load data for my dads 30 Newton. I just wish they had some load data for just the Sharps 45-70. They sure have expanded the load data for the 45-70 over the last few months. I’ve been emailing them requesting the data back when they did not have much on the 45-70. You can bet that I’ll be staying more in touch when I can and yes I’ll let you all know how the 45-70 goes once I get it and take it to the range. Thanks for everyone’s help.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Sharps1874,

First off you're never going to reach 1500 fps using BP, and that Lyman 457125 bullet I recommended, or any of the other bullets recommended. In fact it will be pretty good if you can reach 1800 fps with a 500 + gr. bullet and smokeless. It can be done and I've shot up as high as 2185 fps with the Lyman 330 gr. H.P. in the DR using smokeless, but not sure you want to go there with your Shiloh. With BP you will find that something on the order of 1150 to 1250 fps will give you the best accuracy.

You won't have to worry about "overloading" with BP. Just can't be done. In fact to even duplicate original spec. M.V.'s you will have to compress the powder into an almost solid mass, just due to the differences in case capacities between our sollid head cases and the old balloon head ones.

Altho the .45/70 should be shot with BP..... in my opinion.... I think your idea of starting with smokeless is good. Just be sure when selecting loads from the manuals that you pick the right table. As you've probably already seen most of the loading manuals give at least two, and sometimes three tables depending on strength of the action.

On the .50/90...... It doesn't kick as much as some people think. My favorite story on it happened at the NCOWS Nats. one year. After the four day shoot I had about 11 rounds left over. One of the competitors.... a 14 yr. old boy that didn't weigh 130 pds. soaking wet....... wanted to shoot it. So I set him up on the sticks, and showed him how to hold and shoot it so it wouldn't break his arm. First shot he missed the shilouette because I think he thought it was gonna kill him. Next ten shots he hit steel every time. I was out of bullets but he asked if I had any more he could shoot.  Smiley Was a lot of fun watching him shoot because after every three shots or so he had to hunch his little butt forward to get back on the sticks properly. I have shot as many as 75 rds. in one day. 50 at the LR match and 25 in 6.5 minutes in the Buffalo Match. It will wear you down, but doesn't cause any bruises. You don't have any trouble sleeping at nite tho.  Wink You'll find the same thing when shooting the .45/70 to a lesser degree. BP doesn't have the sharp rap smokeless does. More of a good solid push.

PETE

IP Logged

TimK
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Sharps 1874,

My best groups, a non-BP trip to the range, last night came with the 405g Speer swaged bullets and 5744 powder.  I was using 29g of 5744 and the 405g Speer bullets at 100 yards.  My maximum group, three shots each, was 1". all groups had two bullet holes touching and the best group was 5/8".  I do mostly hunting (or preparing for hunting), so I feel any more than three shot groups don't mean much to me.  If you want to talk to the Goex Consultant, his name is Bill Bagwell, 903-938-0905.  He said not to use the 405g Speer swaged with BP due to the coating on them.  Tim K

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Forrest, I do not have any plans at this time to cast my own bullets. And no I do not have any experience casting bullets. If I did that would have to be much later. I’ve put allot of money already into getting back to reloading since last December. It’s been very expensive yet I know that all of this will pay off later. I never thought of using cast bullets in my 30-30 or 30-06. Some time next month, I’ll have all of my 30-06 and 30-30 brass ready for reloading. I guess I could reload some of each with cast bullets to compare with my Nosler bullets. I do understand what you’re getting at in getting use to cast bullets before the Sharps arrives. Should I try the cast on my handgun as well? The S&W 357 model is a revolver. 

Sharps1874,

I thought that might be the case and sure, I understand the initial high cost of tools and equipment if you're gearing up for the whole works in a short time.

Shooting jacketed bullets in a 1874 Sharps is an unusual idea. I know that 45 caliber jacketed bullets are fairly high priced items for one thing and there is no need to spend that kind of money on bullets that add no actual performance or accuracy to the shooting of a 45/70:

I think it would be pretty safe to say that none of us big-bore shooters would consider buying and shooting jacketed in a 45. Some, who prefer ready-made bullets, buy the commercail cast bullets available these days. 

I have never tried these oferings but you should consider it since buying and learning how to use a full-blown casting outfit is an area that takes time and money to get things going and result in good accurate loads.

The other rifles you own and shoot with jacketed remain of merit as training grounds for the coming times of 45/70 shooting. Shooting cast lead bullets is a different game and a good deal more demanding than buying and loading Noslers! (Also more rewarding)

The 45/70 will shoot well but there are lessons to learn about shooting lead bullets that the old 30/30 will make clear to you much more easily, quickly and more cheaply (you can start now!) than when the Sharps arrives in a couple months.

Good morning,
Forrest

PS Loading cast in your 357 is a good idea too but short guns, especially revolvers, are something of a separate game in themselves: They will teach you some basic stuff but there is no subsitute for the rifle work.

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Hello Craig,

Thanks for the advice. I’m sure you can understand that I just do not wish to make any mistakes that I’ll regret later from my reloading, and the maintenance of my Sharps. They are not cheap yet they are as far as I feel very well made rifles, but then again I’ll find out for sure later. BP has other things that Smokeless does not have to worry about, and I just want to make sure that I learn what I need to in order to make this safe and still enjoyable. Tim K recommended that I talk to Bill Bagwell from GOEX, what a small world we live in. That was the person from GOEX that had replied to my email that I had sent them. Last Friday Morning he and I must have talk for about 2 hours on the phone. I enjoyed our conversation. He has an immense amount of knowledge. I learned allot from him, just as I’ve been learning from all of you. 

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2005 at 12:23pm by »  

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
In the stuff I've read, I've seen the 1874 Sharps put in the Class 1 action group with the trapdoor & Ballard.  Sometimes there are comments about metallurgy of the originals and sometimes comments about the side hammer & firing pin design.  But in what category does a reproduction like this Shiloh Sharps belong?

Richard

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
  If you are going to any amount of shooting I would get an extra extractor, firing pin tip, firing pin transfer block, and a lever spring. I have broken four or five of each. Joe S

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2005 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I’ve got some good news. My Rifle is in the process of being put together. Those of you that know any thing about Shiloh, they make everything there by hand, thus that’s why it takes longer to put the batch of rifles that they are producing at the time together. I’ve been staying in touch with Shiloh on the rifle. I did turn down having my initials put in gold on the rifle for over $500. It just seemed too much for that. And the initials would not improve the rifle. 

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2005 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Sharps1874,

Yeah.... But if you become famous the rifle will be worth a lot more when your heirs sell it!  Grin

PETE

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #15 - May 22nd, 2005 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
greetings waterman,,

the shilos are rated with the num 1 and 3 rugers. they can allmost be loaed up to a 458 win mag.. a lot of fun to shoot..

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

45-70 1874 Sharps
Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

Good news, I spoke with Shiloh Sharps and I should receive my 45-70 mid to late August. Yes the little kid inside of me is very excited. Hey my Dads 78 and he’s just as excited about it as I am. Smiley

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Definately don't even try to make a magnum out of your Shiloh 45/70 by trying to shoot 500gns out of it at 1500fps with smokeless.
The first thing to ruin is the gilt edge on the fine rifling, second the design does not lend itself to high pressure loads and third, in my experience, it will need to have all traces of copper removed from the barrel before and resemblance of accuracy returns after firing jackets.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
My assembled BP loads L to R 40/65, 577/450 & 45/70

This is the level of accuracy you can expect from good BP loads in your 45/70 at 100 yards

Visit the Shiloh forum and pose the same question to Kirk.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 10:32am
Print Post  

Bad_Ass_Wallace,

This is the first that I have heard about not shooting 500 grain bullets. Thanks for passing this information on to me, I do appreciate it. I heard from Lucinda and she says that it should be about another 6 weeks fro the Rifle to be finished. I’ll take a look at the links that you sent next weekend just way to busy to do much other then 2 funerals in 3 days. All my reloading and shooting has come to a halt until next week. Yet be assured I’ll check out the links next week, you can bet on that. 

I’ve been in contact with Lucinda about reloading. Yes, others have suggested contacting Kirk as well, and I will. With your help and advice as well as everyone else’s, I’ve become more educated and knowledgeable, so hopefully I will not do anything stupid with my Sharps…hopefully not really bad. Thanks for the info and have a great weekend out in Australia.

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Sharps1874,

I think that Bad_Ass_Wallace was refering to shooting 500 grain jacketed bullets in the 1874 Sharps. Earlier in in this thread I said the same thing!

Don't shoot jacketed in the Sharps! It is a waste of money for one thing; "NON-Trditional" for another and worst of all wears the fine accuracy off the rifling way too soon.

So far as shooting heavy bullets, Lead bullets that is, the only thing a man needs to consider is the twist of the rifling such that long heaivies will be stabilized.

For example; at the Montana 1000 yard Championship I saw a lady shooter (she came in third) firing 590 grain bullets through her Sharps rifle. Safe, very accurate, cheap and there is no way the barrel will ever wear out when used in this way.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Thanks FA,
Yes I was referring to "jacketed", however even plain based cast bullets have a limitation on how fast you can drive them before leading or even stripping in the rifling occurrs.
Most of my cast are 1:25 and 1:30 for all loads as fine accuracy comes from using bulets 0.001 oversized in the 40/45cal and 0.002 for both 50's. Very hard leads just don't work as well as softer alloys at reasonable velocity in the Sharps rifles.

Left to Right; 22 Hornet, 50/90, 50/70, 45/70, 40/65, 577/450 & 30/30

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Yes I was referring to "jacketed", however even plain based cast bullets have a limitation on how fast you can drive them before leading or even stripping in the rifling occurrs.

Bad_Ass_Wallace,

Sure, there is always the limit a fellow can press any lead bullet, plainbase, gas checked or even paper patched. But on this thread the rather unusal possibility of shooting jacketed in the 1874 Sharps rifles is being considered. Quite possible of course, but why?

You and I can see all kinds of reasons why not but perhaps there could be reasons such a thing might be done.

What bullet is that in your 50/70 and 50/90?

I have a 50/90SS which I shoot with a 690 grain Jones bullet in the 1000 yard matches, what are yours used for?

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 4:47am
Print Post  
hi ho 1874,

like tim k, i also like 5744. have three shilo's in 45-70. for me the bullets of about 405-425 grs work best at velocities of 1150 to 1300fps. they are (for me) more consistant in accuracy. bullets above 500 grs are a little too long for the shilo twist. they are accurate, but, not as consistant at those velocities.

have shot the short bullets at 700 yrd matches and have done very well. when it comes to twist, length is more important than weight.

..ttfn grampa..

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Both bullets are from a Lyman mould 445gn at 1:30 mix.
I've just ordered a custom 510gn short bore riding mould for the 50/70 and should soon have a PJ 650gn Creedmore for the 50/90.
I use the Lyman bullet initially for fireforming new brass in the 50/90.

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 7:06am
Print Post  
B_A_ Wallace;
Please refer to the aforementioned Shiloh Forum for Kirk Bryan's thoughts regarding his rifles, smokeless powder and pressures.

IP Logged

radar
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
The BPCR Silhouette National Championship was won by Brad Rice with a CPA 44 1/2 in 45-70. The Long Range nationals was won with a Pedersoli.
The Pedersolis' are nice rifles for the money, but I would recommend that the sights should be of a better quality, if you are shooting in competition.
I own a Shiloh 1874 in 45-70 and shoot a Jones Creedmoor bullet at 535 grs. Powder charge is 60 grs Swiss 3f and a Remington 2 1/2 pistol primer, over primer wad and bullets .010 into the lands, lube is White Lightening. This is a very accurate load and will shoot in all weather conditions with no fouling. Of course this, is my Silhouette load and I have yet to wound a Ram. 
I have been using my CPA in 38-55 at BPCR Silhouette and have done very well. However, wind conditions can give the spotter headaches.

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Quote:
B_A_ Wallace;
Please refer to the aforementioned Shiloh Forum for Kirk Bryan's thoughts regarding his rifles, smokeless powder and pressures.

Don,
Yes Kirk does say that it Shiloh will handle smokeless, however I have also seen the results within the last 15 months of "chamber ringing" from such practice. One was an IAB and the other a Shiloh. 

In the first case, the inexperienced reloader had 35gn of fast burning powder, a card wad over powder, then a big air pocket behind a 530gn cast bullet. The second was a 50/140, I have some once fired cases that were sticky in the chamber. The solid head had expanded to such a degree that even cut back to 50/70 length and F/L sized, they would still not chanber in another rifle. The ring in this case was in the chamber at the solid head.

This is not to say that smokeless loads won't work, but the practice is full of danger for the inexperienced reloader.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 10:25am
Print Post  
The problem (the MAIN problem anyway) lies in the fact that there's a large air space left in the case when fast-burning smokeless powder is used. The actual mechanics of the chamber ringing are still being debated in some cases, but the facts are clear, the ringing doesn't occur unless there's an air space.

This ringing can occur with any rifle chambered for a large-capacity case when small quantities of fast-burning smokeless are used. Weak rifle or strong rifle doesn't matter if the elastic limit of the barrel steel is exceeded.

Three solutions occur to me:
     Use a filler with small smokeless charges, with CAUTION
     Use Everlasting or reduced-capacity cases with smokeless
     Use a slow-burning smokeless & load to full density

Three problems occur to me:
     Fillers sometimes cause ringing, blowups & other problems
     Reduced-capacity cases are difficult to find for some calibers
     Recoil is too much for pleasant shooting with full-density loads

All of these problems can be solved but require compromises.

I won't get into the details of fillers 'cause I don't understand all I know about their use, maybe the famous (notorious?) xxgrampa can give us some enlightenment on this subject.

ONE reduced-capacity case is easy to make but it's difficult or impossible for the layman to make a number of 'em with all having exactly the same capacity. The best bet for this option IMO would be to have RMCC or whoever make a batch of 'em.

Recoil is a bear. Suck it up or use one of the other options.

Face it, these big cases were all designed for black powder & are unsuited for smokeless except with full loading density. And, come to think of it, they don't work very well with black at less than full density either, plus compression!

I personally use a case full of whatever powder in all calibers that I shoot, for full loading density. Makes things a lot simpler.
JMOFWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
If you folks would read Charlie Dell's book "The Modern Schuetzen" the REAL reason is clearly explained. In fact, he has a whole chapter on the phenomenon. He was able to produce chamber ringing at will (the only modern person that I have read about that is/was able to do that). His work verified a Frenchman's work of over a hundred years ago (I believe his name was Viele?).

I suggest anyone who has even a remote interest in reloading smokeless in large cases (this means practically all black powder cases) read his chapter on this matter. Once you understand the forces at work, it is EASY to avoid problems with it. Many thousands of people, everyday, load smokeless in large cases without a hint of a problem. You just have to do it correctly.

Now, all of that said, my BPCRifles are shot ONLY with black powder. Why? Because that is what they are designed to do. I shoot LOTS of smokeless but not in my BPCRifles. It is not because it is unsafe, but my reason for owning and shooting these is to experience the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle with the original loads, etc.

It seems to me that using a BPCR with smokeless is a little like putting gasoline in a horse (for those that aren't "in the know" horses prefer oats and water Grin).

Now, just to keep the record straight, I regularly shoot smokeless in my 32/40, .45 Colts, and .38 Specials... 

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

Am I correct in what I’m hearing that it sound like it would not be wise to shoot any rounds over 500 grain bullets in my Sharps 45-70? Ya I know some of you think that I’m crazy to shoot Smokeless in my Sharps, since more then anything else the rife was and still is designed to shoot Black Powder. I would rather take a safer approach for me by starting out with Smokeless and working up to black Powder, hey, you all have been doing this Black Powder for a long time, and yes I’m the Newbie when it comes to Black Powder. So hey give me a bit of slack and try not to be too critical in that area. All I’m asking for is the advise on when I do use Smokeless and later Black Powder, please do help me from not making any stupid mistakes that all of you can pass on to me. This loading for the 45-70 sure is a totally different ball of wax compared to my standard loading that I’ve been doing for years. And please I hope that no ones feelings are hurt, I do appreciate all of your help and knowledge, I’m humble enough to know that you are the experts in this area and I’m not, thanks. 

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Hey,

How good are the Rugers (1 & 3) compared to the other Breechloading rifles?

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #31 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Sharps,

You don't say what purpose you bought the 1874 for?

Most shooters buy them for competition or hunting and load them in the traditional way just like their great grand-pappy.

For competition, there are strict rules that govern the way we use them and the ammo that you load, BPCR Silhouette, Long Range matches require straight black powder.

For hunting, you can use whatever you like, smokeless, blackpowder or duplex. Bear in mind however, that unless you are loading for a modern highwall, Ruger No.1 etc, the manufacturer has a disclaimer stamped along the barrel "For Black Powder OnlY"

For me, I shoot 3 competitions per month, hunt and just plink at the range for fun. The BPCR fascination is trying to obtain top accuracy with traditional loads.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 10:15am
Print Post  
  I have shot thousands of 45-70s with smokeless (well over 20,000) and that includes 400 and 500 gr bullets. I can be done, but I think the point that is being made is that the rifle was never designed to  compete with the 405 magnums.
  The powders that are commonly recommended for smokeless are IMR 4759 and Accurate Arms 5744.  Loading data is well established for those powders in all bullet weights. I have recently started using a 1/4 sheet of toilet paper wad with a cardboad wad directly under the bullet. I have had no problems so far but I am conderned about ringing the chamber, so I will be experimenting to see if I can get the same results without the toilet paper. 
  I just started shooting black powder in the 45-70 this year, and so far its not nearly as much fun as smokeless, unless you have lots of time on your hands which I do not have. 

For those who say the Sharps was designed for black powder, they are correct to a point but that doesnt mean smokeless cannot be safely used. If you keep the velocities and poder charges at a reasonable level you should be OK. Good luck, Joe S

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Am I correct in what I’m hearing that it sounds like it would not be wise to shoot any rounds over 500 grain bullets in my Sharps 45-70?

Sharps1874,

NO!

That was never mentioned as any kind of problem!

The problem is, as I see it, even thinking about using jacketed bullets in your 1874 Sharps. It doesn't matter how much they weigh, just don't shoot jacketed in the 45/70! 

Sharps1874 says: Ya I know some of you think that I’m crazy to shoot Smokeless in my Sharps, since more then anything else the rife was and still is designed to shoot Black Powder. 

F: Again, shooting smokless in your rifle is no problem. There are many, many excellent smokeless powder loads in everyday use in rifles designed for the 45/70 back in the 1800's. I use plenty of smokeless in my (weak) Ballard as only one example. Just don't ever, ever shoot jacketed bullets in these rifles!

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
What Forrest said.

I also have shot many thousands of smokeless rounds through these old rifles and my favorite 45-70 load is the Lyman/Ideal 457125 Gov't bullet at up to 1700 fps. (but NOT in my trapdoor!) It casts out at around 515 grains depending upon alloy, out of my 1940's vintage mould. No damage to any part of any of my rifles in close to 40 yrs. These old 45-70 rifles were DESIGNED for this heavy bullet.

Without getting into any long-winded specifics, during the process of any sane & orderly work-up of 45-cal heavy-bullet loads the ever-increasing recoil will cause your shoulder to give out long before the smokeless loads or heavy bullets will hurt the rifle. That is, in any Sharps or high wall it will. Trapdoors & Ballards are much weaker however & should not be fired with any load over 20-25,000 psi IMO.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

I finally received my Sharps Rifle, and well it’s an incredible site to look at. I’m sure that I’m going to have years of fun with my rifle. Under normal circumstances, I usually play around with the new things that I get before reading the owners manual, yet with the Sharps I’ve decided to read everything first. So far this has been a wise decision. 

Good news, the end of the hunting season has turned out very good for me. I ended up with a very good Blacktail on the last Wednesday of the season about 2 weeks ago. One of the other hunters from the club pushed it my way and all I had to do was sit my butt down and wait for it to run to me. My buck turned out to be a very nice 3 pointer with exceptional eye guards. 2 days later, my Dad killed his deer, a nice fork horn with tall forks. It was great seeing my Dad kill what may be the last deer hill shoot in his life. I think at the age of 78 that he has hunted his last year. Most of the deer this season on the ranch that I hunt on killed their deer in the last few days of the season. We were lucky this year that we were in the rut that last 3 weeks of the season. The same thing happened last year. I ended up with the best buck of the season on the ranch. I’ll get my plaque for that this Saturday at the end of the season hunting party. This will be my second one since we started scoring in 1993. And I already picked up my deer meat from my butcher last Sunday. 

I’m getting ready to get the last of my reloading stuff. Soon I’ll be shooting my Sharps. 

OK, how has everyone else done? It’s been very quiet from all of you. Smiley

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Hello Again,

It’s been a while since I last posted here. Allot has happened. I found some really great guys that shoot about an hour from me, and they put on a monthly 200 yard competition that I have been invited to shoot at and It’s been great shooting with them. We have both 40-65 and 45-70’s being shot there. I started shooting with them last November. One of the guys has been casting bullets for some 40 years. Last week I had my all day training with him on how to cast bullets. Last Tuesday I received my RCBS Furnace and the remainder of what I need to cast bullets with, to include my Lubri-Sizer. I already have my first bullet mould. I’m already looking to buy my second and third moulds. I already know what they will be. I’ve got the fever. In Sacramento (CA) they have a monthly BPCR Silhouette shoot. I’ve been there 3 times now, just learning before I start doing it myself. Getting to know the guys there and to learn what I can from them. What a rust the last 4 months have been. Wish I had been doing this a long time ago. Now I know what I have been missing, and what all of you have been enjoying for all these years. 

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I have had little experience with American Black Powder calibres, but I do have a lot of experience with big bore British calibres, i.e. ,450 to .577

The one thing you cannot do, is overload a cartridge case with Black Powder. With Nitro Powders it is easier to do so.

If you've bought a replica of a rifle that was originally built during the Black Powder era, why not just shoot it using the precise loads that it was designed for.

Certainly shooting Black Powder loads is a bit messy and (to some) a smelly pastime, but Hell, that's why we do it, it's part of the fun.

If you go in for Black Powder Target Competition, it takes a lot more skill than blasting off ten rapid rounds from grandpappy's old A3 O3 Springfield in 30.06. You will have to develope loads that will shoot accurately from 100 to 1000 yards, learn how to use the old fashioned vernier sights, learn to judge wind drift, and a dozen other things.

It's also a far more leisurely pastime, fire a shot at a target 1000 yards away and you have nearly enough time for a cup of coffee before the bullet get there.

Give Black Powder a try, once you have, you'll not be looking for smokeless loads for that rifle in future. Have some fun.

Harry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint