Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 45-70 1874 Sharps (Read 27662 times)
Sharps1874
Ex Member

Re: 45-70 1874 Sharps
Reply #30 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Hey,

How good are the Rugers (1 & 3) compared to the other Breechloading rifles?

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #31 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Sharps,

You don't say what purpose you bought the 1874 for?

Most shooters buy them for competition or hunting and load them in the traditional way just like their great grand-pappy.

For competition, there are strict rules that govern the way we use them and the ammo that you load, BPCR Silhouette, Long Range matches require straight black powder.

For hunting, you can use whatever you like, smokeless, blackpowder or duplex. Bear in mind however, that unless you are loading for a modern highwall, Ruger No.1 etc, the manufacturer has a disclaimer stamped along the barrel "For Black Powder OnlY"

For me, I shoot 3 competitions per month, hunt and just plink at the range for fun. The BPCR fascination is trying to obtain top accuracy with traditional loads.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 10:15am
Print Post  
  I have shot thousands of 45-70s with smokeless (well over 20,000) and that includes 400 and 500 gr bullets. I can be done, but I think the point that is being made is that the rifle was never designed to  compete with the 405 magnums.
  The powders that are commonly recommended for smokeless are IMR 4759 and Accurate Arms 5744.  Loading data is well established for those powders in all bullet weights. I have recently started using a 1/4 sheet of toilet paper wad with a cardboad wad directly under the bullet. I have had no problems so far but I am conderned about ringing the chamber, so I will be experimenting to see if I can get the same results without the toilet paper. 
  I just started shooting black powder in the 45-70 this year, and so far its not nearly as much fun as smokeless, unless you have lots of time on your hands which I do not have. 

For those who say the Sharps was designed for black powder, they are correct to a point but that doesnt mean smokeless cannot be safely used. If you keep the velocities and poder charges at a reasonable level you should be OK. Good luck, Joe S

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Am I correct in what I’m hearing that it sounds like it would not be wise to shoot any rounds over 500 grain bullets in my Sharps 45-70?

Sharps1874,

NO!

That was never mentioned as any kind of problem!

The problem is, as I see it, even thinking about using jacketed bullets in your 1874 Sharps. It doesn't matter how much they weigh, just don't shoot jacketed in the 45/70! 

Sharps1874 says: Ya I know some of you think that I’m crazy to shoot Smokeless in my Sharps, since more then anything else the rife was and still is designed to shoot Black Powder. 

F: Again, shooting smokless in your rifle is no problem. There are many, many excellent smokeless powder loads in everyday use in rifles designed for the 45/70 back in the 1800's. I use plenty of smokeless in my (weak) Ballard as only one example. Just don't ever, ever shoot jacketed bullets in these rifles!

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
What Forrest said.

I also have shot many thousands of smokeless rounds through these old rifles and my favorite 45-70 load is the Lyman/Ideal 457125 Gov't bullet at up to 1700 fps. (but NOT in my trapdoor!) It casts out at around 515 grains depending upon alloy, out of my 1940's vintage mould. No damage to any part of any of my rifles in close to 40 yrs. These old 45-70 rifles were DESIGNED for this heavy bullet.

Without getting into any long-winded specifics, during the process of any sane & orderly work-up of 45-cal heavy-bullet loads the ever-increasing recoil will cause your shoulder to give out long before the smokeless loads or heavy bullets will hurt the rifle. That is, in any Sharps or high wall it will. Trapdoors & Ballards are much weaker however & should not be fired with any load over 20-25,000 psi IMO.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

I finally received my Sharps Rifle, and well it’s an incredible site to look at. I’m sure that I’m going to have years of fun with my rifle. Under normal circumstances, I usually play around with the new things that I get before reading the owners manual, yet with the Sharps I’ve decided to read everything first. So far this has been a wise decision. 

Good news, the end of the hunting season has turned out very good for me. I ended up with a very good Blacktail on the last Wednesday of the season about 2 weeks ago. One of the other hunters from the club pushed it my way and all I had to do was sit my butt down and wait for it to run to me. My buck turned out to be a very nice 3 pointer with exceptional eye guards. 2 days later, my Dad killed his deer, a nice fork horn with tall forks. It was great seeing my Dad kill what may be the last deer hill shoot in his life. I think at the age of 78 that he has hunted his last year. Most of the deer this season on the ranch that I hunt on killed their deer in the last few days of the season. We were lucky this year that we were in the rut that last 3 weeks of the season. The same thing happened last year. I ended up with the best buck of the season on the ranch. I’ll get my plaque for that this Saturday at the end of the season hunting party. This will be my second one since we started scoring in 1993. And I already picked up my deer meat from my butcher last Sunday. 

I’m getting ready to get the last of my reloading stuff. Soon I’ll be shooting my Sharps. 

OK, how has everyone else done? It’s been very quiet from all of you. Smiley

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Hello Again,

It’s been a while since I last posted here. Allot has happened. I found some really great guys that shoot about an hour from me, and they put on a monthly 200 yard competition that I have been invited to shoot at and It’s been great shooting with them. We have both 40-65 and 45-70’s being shot there. I started shooting with them last November. One of the guys has been casting bullets for some 40 years. Last week I had my all day training with him on how to cast bullets. Last Tuesday I received my RCBS Furnace and the remainder of what I need to cast bullets with, to include my Lubri-Sizer. I already have my first bullet mould. I’m already looking to buy my second and third moulds. I already know what they will be. I’ve got the fever. In Sacramento (CA) they have a monthly BPCR Silhouette shoot. I’ve been there 3 times now, just learning before I start doing it myself. Getting to know the guys there and to learn what I can from them. What a rust the last 4 months have been. Wish I had been doing this a long time ago. Now I know what I have been missing, and what all of you have been enjoying for all these years. 

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I have had little experience with American Black Powder calibres, but I do have a lot of experience with big bore British calibres, i.e. ,450 to .577

The one thing you cannot do, is overload a cartridge case with Black Powder. With Nitro Powders it is easier to do so.

If you've bought a replica of a rifle that was originally built during the Black Powder era, why not just shoot it using the precise loads that it was designed for.

Certainly shooting Black Powder loads is a bit messy and (to some) a smelly pastime, but Hell, that's why we do it, it's part of the fun.

If you go in for Black Powder Target Competition, it takes a lot more skill than blasting off ten rapid rounds from grandpappy's old A3 O3 Springfield in 30.06. You will have to develope loads that will shoot accurately from 100 to 1000 yards, learn how to use the old fashioned vernier sights, learn to judge wind drift, and a dozen other things.

It's also a far more leisurely pastime, fire a shot at a target 1000 yards away and you have nearly enough time for a cup of coffee before the bullet get there.

Give Black Powder a try, once you have, you'll not be looking for smokeless loads for that rifle in future. Have some fun.

Harry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint