Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 45-70 1874 Sharps (Read 27665 times)
xxgrampa
Ex Member

Re: 45-70 1874 Sharps
Reply #15 - May 22nd, 2005 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
greetings waterman,,

the shilos are rated with the num 1 and 3 rugers. they can allmost be loaed up to a 458 win mag.. a lot of fun to shoot..

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

45-70 1874 Sharps
Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

Good news, I spoke with Shiloh Sharps and I should receive my 45-70 mid to late August. Yes the little kid inside of me is very excited. Hey my Dads 78 and he’s just as excited about it as I am. Smiley

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Definately don't even try to make a magnum out of your Shiloh 45/70 by trying to shoot 500gns out of it at 1500fps with smokeless.
The first thing to ruin is the gilt edge on the fine rifling, second the design does not lend itself to high pressure loads and third, in my experience, it will need to have all traces of copper removed from the barrel before and resemblance of accuracy returns after firing jackets.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
My assembled BP loads L to R 40/65, 577/450 & 45/70

This is the level of accuracy you can expect from good BP loads in your 45/70 at 100 yards

Visit the Shiloh forum and pose the same question to Kirk.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 10:32am
Print Post  

Bad_Ass_Wallace,

This is the first that I have heard about not shooting 500 grain bullets. Thanks for passing this information on to me, I do appreciate it. I heard from Lucinda and she says that it should be about another 6 weeks fro the Rifle to be finished. I’ll take a look at the links that you sent next weekend just way to busy to do much other then 2 funerals in 3 days. All my reloading and shooting has come to a halt until next week. Yet be assured I’ll check out the links next week, you can bet on that. 

I’ve been in contact with Lucinda about reloading. Yes, others have suggested contacting Kirk as well, and I will. With your help and advice as well as everyone else’s, I’ve become more educated and knowledgeable, so hopefully I will not do anything stupid with my Sharps…hopefully not really bad. Thanks for the info and have a great weekend out in Australia.

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Sharps1874,

I think that Bad_Ass_Wallace was refering to shooting 500 grain jacketed bullets in the 1874 Sharps. Earlier in in this thread I said the same thing!

Don't shoot jacketed in the Sharps! It is a waste of money for one thing; "NON-Trditional" for another and worst of all wears the fine accuracy off the rifling way too soon.

So far as shooting heavy bullets, Lead bullets that is, the only thing a man needs to consider is the twist of the rifling such that long heaivies will be stabilized.

For example; at the Montana 1000 yard Championship I saw a lady shooter (she came in third) firing 590 grain bullets through her Sharps rifle. Safe, very accurate, cheap and there is no way the barrel will ever wear out when used in this way.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Thanks FA,
Yes I was referring to "jacketed", however even plain based cast bullets have a limitation on how fast you can drive them before leading or even stripping in the rifling occurrs.
Most of my cast are 1:25 and 1:30 for all loads as fine accuracy comes from using bulets 0.001 oversized in the 40/45cal and 0.002 for both 50's. Very hard leads just don't work as well as softer alloys at reasonable velocity in the Sharps rifles.

Left to Right; 22 Hornet, 50/90, 50/70, 45/70, 40/65, 577/450 & 30/30

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Yes I was referring to "jacketed", however even plain based cast bullets have a limitation on how fast you can drive them before leading or even stripping in the rifling occurrs.

Bad_Ass_Wallace,

Sure, there is always the limit a fellow can press any lead bullet, plainbase, gas checked or even paper patched. But on this thread the rather unusal possibility of shooting jacketed in the 1874 Sharps rifles is being considered. Quite possible of course, but why?

You and I can see all kinds of reasons why not but perhaps there could be reasons such a thing might be done.

What bullet is that in your 50/70 and 50/90?

I have a 50/90SS which I shoot with a 690 grain Jones bullet in the 1000 yard matches, what are yours used for?

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 4:47am
Print Post  
hi ho 1874,

like tim k, i also like 5744. have three shilo's in 45-70. for me the bullets of about 405-425 grs work best at velocities of 1150 to 1300fps. they are (for me) more consistant in accuracy. bullets above 500 grs are a little too long for the shilo twist. they are accurate, but, not as consistant at those velocities.

have shot the short bullets at 700 yrd matches and have done very well. when it comes to twist, length is more important than weight.

..ttfn grampa..

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Both bullets are from a Lyman mould 445gn at 1:30 mix.
I've just ordered a custom 510gn short bore riding mould for the 50/70 and should soon have a PJ 650gn Creedmore for the 50/90.
I use the Lyman bullet initially for fireforming new brass in the 50/90.

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 7:06am
Print Post  
B_A_ Wallace;
Please refer to the aforementioned Shiloh Forum for Kirk Bryan's thoughts regarding his rifles, smokeless powder and pressures.

IP Logged

radar
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
The BPCR Silhouette National Championship was won by Brad Rice with a CPA 44 1/2 in 45-70. The Long Range nationals was won with a Pedersoli.
The Pedersolis' are nice rifles for the money, but I would recommend that the sights should be of a better quality, if you are shooting in competition.
I own a Shiloh 1874 in 45-70 and shoot a Jones Creedmoor bullet at 535 grs. Powder charge is 60 grs Swiss 3f and a Remington 2 1/2 pistol primer, over primer wad and bullets .010 into the lands, lube is White Lightening. This is a very accurate load and will shoot in all weather conditions with no fouling. Of course this, is my Silhouette load and I have yet to wound a Ram. 
I have been using my CPA in 38-55 at BPCR Silhouette and have done very well. However, wind conditions can give the spotter headaches.

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Quote:
B_A_ Wallace;
Please refer to the aforementioned Shiloh Forum for Kirk Bryan's thoughts regarding his rifles, smokeless powder and pressures.

Don,
Yes Kirk does say that it Shiloh will handle smokeless, however I have also seen the results within the last 15 months of "chamber ringing" from such practice. One was an IAB and the other a Shiloh. 

In the first case, the inexperienced reloader had 35gn of fast burning powder, a card wad over powder, then a big air pocket behind a 530gn cast bullet. The second was a 50/140, I have some once fired cases that were sticky in the chamber. The solid head had expanded to such a degree that even cut back to 50/70 length and F/L sized, they would still not chanber in another rifle. The ring in this case was in the chamber at the solid head.

This is not to say that smokeless loads won't work, but the practice is full of danger for the inexperienced reloader.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 10:25am
Print Post  
The problem (the MAIN problem anyway) lies in the fact that there's a large air space left in the case when fast-burning smokeless powder is used. The actual mechanics of the chamber ringing are still being debated in some cases, but the facts are clear, the ringing doesn't occur unless there's an air space.

This ringing can occur with any rifle chambered for a large-capacity case when small quantities of fast-burning smokeless are used. Weak rifle or strong rifle doesn't matter if the elastic limit of the barrel steel is exceeded.

Three solutions occur to me:
     Use a filler with small smokeless charges, with CAUTION
     Use Everlasting or reduced-capacity cases with smokeless
     Use a slow-burning smokeless & load to full density

Three problems occur to me:
     Fillers sometimes cause ringing, blowups & other problems
     Reduced-capacity cases are difficult to find for some calibers
     Recoil is too much for pleasant shooting with full-density loads

All of these problems can be solved but require compromises.

I won't get into the details of fillers 'cause I don't understand all I know about their use, maybe the famous (notorious?) xxgrampa can give us some enlightenment on this subject.

ONE reduced-capacity case is easy to make but it's difficult or impossible for the layman to make a number of 'em with all having exactly the same capacity. The best bet for this option IMO would be to have RMCC or whoever make a batch of 'em.

Recoil is a bear. Suck it up or use one of the other options.

Face it, these big cases were all designed for black powder & are unsuited for smokeless except with full loading density. And, come to think of it, they don't work very well with black at less than full density either, plus compression!

I personally use a case full of whatever powder in all calibers that I shoot, for full loading density. Makes things a lot simpler.
JMOFWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
If you folks would read Charlie Dell's book "The Modern Schuetzen" the REAL reason is clearly explained. In fact, he has a whole chapter on the phenomenon. He was able to produce chamber ringing at will (the only modern person that I have read about that is/was able to do that). His work verified a Frenchman's work of over a hundred years ago (I believe his name was Viele?).

I suggest anyone who has even a remote interest in reloading smokeless in large cases (this means practically all black powder cases) read his chapter on this matter. Once you understand the forces at work, it is EASY to avoid problems with it. Many thousands of people, everyday, load smokeless in large cases without a hint of a problem. You just have to do it correctly.

Now, all of that said, my BPCRifles are shot ONLY with black powder. Why? Because that is what they are designed to do. I shoot LOTS of smokeless but not in my BPCRifles. It is not because it is unsafe, but my reason for owning and shooting these is to experience the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle with the original loads, etc.

It seems to me that using a BPCR with smokeless is a little like putting gasoline in a horse (for those that aren't "in the know" horses prefer oats and water Grin).

Now, just to keep the record straight, I regularly shoot smokeless in my 32/40, .45 Colts, and .38 Specials... 

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

Am I correct in what I’m hearing that it sound like it would not be wise to shoot any rounds over 500 grain bullets in my Sharps 45-70? Ya I know some of you think that I’m crazy to shoot Smokeless in my Sharps, since more then anything else the rife was and still is designed to shoot Black Powder. I would rather take a safer approach for me by starting out with Smokeless and working up to black Powder, hey, you all have been doing this Black Powder for a long time, and yes I’m the Newbie when it comes to Black Powder. So hey give me a bit of slack and try not to be too critical in that area. All I’m asking for is the advise on when I do use Smokeless and later Black Powder, please do help me from not making any stupid mistakes that all of you can pass on to me. This loading for the 45-70 sure is a totally different ball of wax compared to my standard loading that I’ve been doing for years. And please I hope that no ones feelings are hurt, I do appreciate all of your help and knowledge, I’m humble enough to know that you are the experts in this area and I’m not, thanks. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint